“An experience I will treasure forever..........” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Equathon Horse Riding Tours - Day Tours

Equathon Horse Riding Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 62 Outdoor Activities in Noosa
More attraction details
Owner description: Equathon Horse Riding Adventures offer award winning horse riding tours on the beach at Noosa North Shore, and the Sunshine Coast hinterland. Tours are managed by triple Olympian, Alex Watson and feature beautifully trained and presented Australian Stock Horses. Experience our daily riding tours on the beach or extend your stay for an overnight riding adventure. Available from one night up to six nights/seven days, tours include beautiful regional accommodation and meals at competitive prices.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Brisbane, Australia
“An experience I will treasure forever..........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

I arrived at Equathon on Noosa’s beautiful North Shore on a Sunday morning, eager to join my seven day bush and beach tour. I had come alone and was a little nervous as to how I would go, not having a ‘buddy’ as such. I need not have worried. I was introduced to my fellow riders and my beautiful Australian stock horse ‘Kabi’ and taken on a short ‘getting to know you’ ride through the bush before we were transported to Amamoor, where we were to spend our first two nights. We spent our car journey chatting and getting to know each other, and I can honestly say that from that point on, I never felt as if I was on a trip by myself. Our guides, Alex and Rebecca were so warm and welcoming, that by the time we had finished pre dinner drinks and enjoyed a scrumptious dinner at beautiful Amamoor Lodge with our lovely hosts, we were all feeling very relaxed and looking forward to our little adventure.
The accommodation and food throughout the whole tour was second to none (Bruce’s home-grown redclaw was the best I had ever tasted!). Meal times were always a very enjoyable social occasion, shared with guests, hosts and guides. I soon felt like I had found a new family! There was always good company, good food, good wine and lots of laughter!
The riding varied each day from relaxed and easy to quite challenging at times. Once or twice I actually thought “a horse will go up there?” but they did, and with great ease! And then back down the other side! The horses certainly knew what they were doing even if that was not always the case with me!!!! We were a varied group in terms of riding experience and ability but we were all well looked after, with Rebecca and Alex always ensuring we were happy, safe and having fun, whilst providing challenging and interesting riding. We certainly covered lots of different terrain throughout the week, but the highlight for me was the final day, with the most amazing canter along Noosa’s North Shore. Seventy unspoilt KM of golden sand given over to just us and our horses. I had at some point during the week, died and gone to heaven! Awesome! It was obvious that the horses loved this as much as the riders. I so did not want to go home! Australia at its absolute best.
The whole Equathon experience was one I will treasure forever and would dearly love to do again.
The ratio of riding to relaxation was just right and I would THOROUGHLY recommend the massage on the final afternoon! I think there must be two heavens!!

Brisbane
“What a great way to spend valentines day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

My partner woke me up with a coffee saying "I've got a surprise for you..." as he held out my riding boots. "we're going for a ride on the beach today", he explained. I was so surprised, as its been a while since I've been for a ride and the beach is my favourite place to be. We drove from Brisbane to Noosa, and followed the directions, including a short car ferry trip, to arrive at Noosa North shore. The staff could not be more helpful, and took extra care of my partner, a first time rider. They also accomodated me with a gorgeous mare that was very responsive, not the usual "brain dead" animals you can get on trail rides. The first thing I always check is the horses condition, and these animals have been VERY well cared for. Their coats were glossy and clean, tails combed out and tack was in good condition.
We mounted up in the yard and headed out on our private tour with our guide. She was wonderful, letting me take the lead for a while so I could let my mare stretch out and enjoy while giving easy instructions to my partner to make him more comfortable. The bush trail was lovely, but I was here for the beach, and it did not dissappoint. Even on a busy Sunday, there was plenty of room for everyone to enjoy. as we got down to the water we were offered the choice of going for a swim with our horses or going for a canter... I chose the latter and off I went. To be free to canter at my own speed was invigorating and as we went along, I urged her to open up, and away we went. Both of us were so happy to be out and running. The wind raced, along with my heart and we almost made it to the end of the beach before turning around and racing back. Well, after this, we needed a cool off, so I took her into the water right up to her girth... great fun. All this time, my partner and our guide worked on getting him to trot, he had a great time, and felt really comfortable, and by the time we arrived back to the stables, he was talking about our next riding adventure. We both really enjoyed our time at Equathon. We'll definately be back, and I cant wait to do a 3 day trip next time. 10/10

Virginia
“Great adventure.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2009

My husband and I are experienced riders, so when we planned our trip from the US to Australia, we wanted to get in some good riding. The staff at Equathon were really helpful while we were planning the trip, including many emails back and forth. They were very accomodating with our plans. They made special arrangements for us to join part of a 6 day package. We arranged for two days, but ultimately, we had such a good time we added a third day.

Alex was great, and clearly horse knowledgable. A second guide, Geoff, was with us for the entire ride, too. Both were very friendly and helpful. The terrain was challenging, but the views were fantastic. Every day was a new and different kind of ride. During the rest of the day, when not riding, there was always something else to do, if we wished, from camp fire hors-de-ourves, to shopping in out-of-the-way non-tourist shops (including expert advice on buying hats!), everyone was friendly, helpful, and generous to us. And the food was great!

The horses were well trained and not herd-bound. We could split up in different directions, ride side-by-side, or have different riders at different paces, and it didn't matter. Even in the steepest terrain (and some was quite steep), the horses were sure-footed and safe. We trotted, cantered and even galloped in several places. We had time to try some cross-country jumping, or other challenges, and Alex was free with helpful riding guidance.

The other quests were a man from Hong Kong and his two daughters, who were 14 and 12. At first, I was a little concerned about the mix. But the girls were well attended by the staff, and the ride was well-managed so everyone was able to have fun at their own pace, and still stay safe.

We had a great time, and if we go back to Australia, we intend to do it again.

Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Unprofessional. Not for intermediate or advanced riders.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

Unfortunately our ride was led by two seemingly experienced riders though amateur guides who were not able to communicate between themselves effectively to give all the riders the experience they had paid for nor seek out signs of beginner riders to separate them from the rest of the group again drawing time away from the advertised experience.

We can only imagine the review written from the two riders who were thrown from their horse and ended up running and walking back to the stables.

We found many of the guides actions totally unprofessional, speaking to each person only by their horses name and eventually blaming the other riders for causing the 2 riders to fall and we would NOT recommend riding with this company.

4 Thank mchatto
rileyroo24, Guest Relations Manager at Equathon Horse Riding Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, 24 July 2010
It is a rare and disappointing event when we receive a bad review. We are a company that pride ourselves in our safety, customer service, friendly experienced guides and beautifully presented horses. Thankfully, the vast majority of our guests have wonderfully memorable rides on our daily beach rides and weeklong tours. Unfortunately, on this occasion we were unable to anticipate the intentions and motivations of a couple of guests which ultimately impacted the other riders on the tour. There are always two sides to a story and we feel as though we need to respond to this review because it does not accurately reflect what happened, and is therefore unfair to our guides and the other riders.

We offer daily group rides where, due to safety concerns, the pace of the ride depends upon the riding level of the least experienced rider. We also offer private rides where guests have a better chance of cantering on the beach if they are experienced enough to control the pace and direction of their horse. In this case, the guest who wrote this review, and his friend, elected to ride with the group even though they were expressly told that they could not be guaranteed a canter on the beach. The tour was guided by two of our most experienced guides with a total of 5 years of guiding experience between them. The two men cantered their horses despite repeated requests from the guides to maintain a slower pace.

The cantering horses disrupted the other horses on the tour, resulting in two riders falling off in the sand. After extensive interviews with the guides and the other riders on the tour, it was determined that a full refund (which was immediately demanded) should not be made to the 2 riders who caused the disruption. This review is a result of our decision to stand by our guides and the other riders, despite their threats of bad reviews, and very thankfully, is an isolated incident.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic, best ride ever on the beach!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

My husband and I went on the 2 hour Bush & Beach Ride at Equathon on Noosa's North Shore early July as part of our 12 month travelling round Oz. I'd always wanted to ride on a beach since I was 7 years old (I'm now 29!) so just had to do this and we'd planned to go here before we even left the UK.

We got in with just 2 days notice, they do a ride at 9am and 2pm, so we went for the 2pm one, the staff were really helpful and friendly on the phone.

Once we arrived they kitted us out with a riding helmet and were shown our horses for the ride. I have been riding for 20 years so as I was experienced they gave me 'Moose' and my husband who has only ridden once was put on 'Dish'. The staff were really friendly and helpful on the day and got my husband on and taught him what to do and get him ready.

There were only 5 of us in the group including the instructor which was great to have small numbers as there was a mixture of experience.

Moose was a gorgeous horse, a brown and white Paint/Cob cross, he was very responsive and a pleasure to ride. Dish who my husband was one was a 20 year old Bay horse, and he was perfect and calm for novice riders.

So off we went out the stables and into the bush, within 20 metres we spotted wild kangaroos, brilliant! We walked and trotted a little through the bush for around 40 minutes before we reached the beach.

Once on the beach we stopped by the sea for some photos. We took our camera out with us and the instructor kindly jumped off her horse and took lots of photos of us both riding along the beach and in the sea. When we got back and looked at the photos she’d actually took over 40 photos – brilliant!!! And I’ll put some on here for you.

So here was the part I had been waiting for! We were allowed to go for a canter up the beach which was very very quiet with only a few fisherman on. As my husband was a novice the instructor stayed behind with him at a halt and waited for us. So me and the other 2 riders went for a canter up the beach near the sea, wow it was just the best experience ever and we cantered for what seemed like ages. We looked back and could hardly see my husband & instructor! So we turned around and back we went. You could tell the horses loved being on the beach and what started as a canter soon turned into Moose going a full on gallop in excitement, wow I’d never been on a horse so fast, he just went! It was so great galloping on the beach and in the sea a tiny bit, and with no-one about you didn’t really have much to worry about.

When we got back to the other 2 we walked round for a bit to catch our breath and then walked about 1 ft in the sea on the way back, having the waves across your boots was a first for me! Then it was back off the beach and back to the stables a different way.

The whole ride was fantastic fun, very relaxing and you didn't have to 'follow the leader' the whole way, you could ride relaxed alongside eachother and still chatter.

It was priced at $110 each for the 2 hours which seemed reasonable compared to the other stables around the area, but I’d definitely recommend this to anyone thinking of horse riding at Noosa.