“Charming Old Dame with a Neat New Twist”
Review of Woodland House

Woodland House
Ranked #2 of 155 Restaurants in Prahran
Price range: USD 44 - USD 188
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Woodland House is the collaboration between two of Melbourne's finest young chefs, Thomas Woods and Hayden McFarland. A united culinary force, they have created an innovative, energetic and produce-based cuisine of their very own.
Reviewed 14 June 2015

I'm sure there are plenty of TripAdvisor reviews that will give you the lowdown on this establishment's history, so I'll skip straight to my night.

Though not perfect, Woodland House does attempt to get there. Of the 4 staff looking after us, 3 were outstanding, of the 8 dishes served, 7 were extremely pleasing. The wine - recommended by the most wonderful semollier, charmer - NV Champagne Larmandier-Bernier 'Latitude' Blanc de Blancs Brut, Vertus, France was perfect and lasted well through the culinary journey.

Food highlight: Corn fed Gippsland duck, salt baked beetroot, black barley.

Not so flash: We were greeted by 4 staff huddled in the corridor, oops they might have opened the door.

We waited 45 minutes - with empty wine and water glasses for someone to bring the bill, then had a staff member hover while we chatted on...

2  Thank michaelcourtenay
There are newer reviews for Woodland House

Reviewed 3 June 2015

This restaurant is in a beautiful old house and has so much charm and elegance. The service was outstanding, really made us feel welcomed and special. The 8 course degestation menu was out of this world as were the wines served with it. Highly Highly recommend for that special occassion

Woodland_House_Melb, General Manager at Woodland House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2015

Thanks for the recommendation, we appreciate you taking the time to share your dining experience! Olivia

Reviewed 2 June 2015

An evening shared with gastronomic focus…this Friday evening past, we introduced a discerning friend from Adelaide to
the newly reinterpreted Woodland House (Jaques Reymond’s of old) lead now by his past chefs, Thomas Woods and Hayden McFarland, who are now in full command of the kitchen with stunning results.

The Woodland House menu is technique-driven food inspired more by European traditions than Asian, however this reinvention built on the classic foundation learned from Reymond has the distinct feeling that you have been here but with a bit more of the classic European flavours. “Tom and I both still love that Asian profile, but we’re trying to take it back in that European direction.”

It's interior is delightfully familiar and yet many design elements have been altered to a positive end and being a cold winters night we were grateful to see the fireplaces are still generating their glowing warmth to the main dining room.
Anne of Avec Pleasure highly recommends a visit ASAP!

Thanks so much for the positive feedback, we're pleased that you enjoyed your experience. Look forward to seeing you again soon, Olivia

Reviewed 1 June 2015

I liked the fine dinning look of the place and all the trimmings. However, these were few real let downs: the courses came out two quickly like 5 minutes apart. We felt really rushed, it was a wed night and we were the last table. I think the kitchen wanted an early night. My 3 meat corses were all underdone despite me asking and the waiter assuring me that it will be done to my likeing. When the dishes were presented the waiter did not bother asking if im happy - it was like' i dont want to know". I had to tell him during the second meat course that i wont my last one done as i asked. he ran into the kitchen and then it was done properly. Not good. We ordered 3 premium bottles of wine and were home within 2 hours. We were really really rushed. Also, what the hell is going on with those shocking red and white napkins given befroe a desert. they are like a non absorbing dusitng cloth. It is a great idea to give us fresh ones before deserts, but really! Only 30 % full on a weeknight, not sure what to say why. If they dont lift their game, this will be there last winter. Actually, you will be luck if they make it to Xmas.

Woodland_House_Melb, General Manager at Woodland House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2015

Hello. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in regards to your comments - we take all feedback very seriously and are obviously very disappointed with your review and your experience. I can be contacted on 03 9525 2178 or info@woodlandhouse.com.au - Regards, Gareth

Reviewed 24 May 2015

This has always been a fine dining restaurant. With the staff taking over from the famous founding chef it was with some interpolation that we returned. It was however fabulous. It was a bit more relaxed, the staff that is, which was great since I thought they were once a bit too formal. The food is extraordinary.... as always.

1  Thank MichaelJ08

So pleased that you enjoyed the changes at Woodland House and thanks for taking the time to offer feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon, Olivia