“location!, location!, location!”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Apollo Bay
Melbourne, Australia
“location!, location!, location!”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I was really apprehensive about booking a night here because of the other reviews that I had read on tripadvisor. In one way it may of helped because it was the only motel not fully booked out for such short notice for a public holiday extra long weekend being Easter Monday and Anzac Tuesday. The room was exactly as decribed, very clean and very spacious but still very cosy. I did pay the highest premium price but the gamble paid off. Had a wonderful time being able to walk to the beach and shops so easily and the view of the mountains is pure magic just from the doorway alone. Look forward to going back with fond memories, especially of my young six year old being so excited to sleep in the top bunk upstairs!

Room Tip: bring your own pillow and toilet spray
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2010

For many years I have booked into this motel to attend the Apollo Bay Music Festival. I have done so because it is close to town, relatively cheap and has cooking facilities - I could tolerate the musty smelling room, a leaky bathroom tap and tired & dated finishes because of these benefits. My last visit was very unpleasant and ruined my weekend because of the owners arrogant attitude. My daughter and her friend were staying with me, both 20 years old light-weights. One night, we stayed up talking into the early hours and whilst we were sitting on the upstairs single bed, it collapsed. The next morning the owner approached my daughter and said there had been complaints about noise from our room (never mind that I was woken at 7.30am by a crying baby next door), clearly, the walls are paper-thin. He demanded to know how many people were sleeping in the room and challenged her when she said there were 3 as he didn't believe her. She told him about the broken bed. As I was driving to park my car in the back street (as part of vacating the room), he demanded to know why I was leaving and accused me of doing a runner. I explained I was parking the car and was returning. The owner then confronted me with an excessively angry manner, insisted that I should have told him about the bed earlier than departure time and questioned my honesty and integrity. He demanded payment to fix the bed which he said should only have had one person in it! We had already determined it was poorly made, old and that a few screws would fix the problem. This attitude was very insulting as I hold a senior role within the Victorian education sector and am not a dishonest or sneaky person as accused. I was in shock by the approach this man took with a long term customer. The cleaning staff on the other hand were lovely, genuine country hospitality and put a lot of effort into cleaning up the ant plague that arrived to devour the Coke and liqueur drops left on the bench overnight. Think twice before you stay at this venue, you cannot be sure what you will experience.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank NeenieAustralia
thesinclairs24
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We werent sure what to expect and were pleasantly surprised. It is a basic motel room but the rooms are spacious, there is a little kitchenette in the room and BBQ outside, making self catering possible. Ron the guy who runs it is lovely - we had forgotten to book a bed for our 2 year old and it wasnt an issue for him to sort it out. Great location along the main street in Apollo Bay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 3 July 2009

We picked this motel off the net.Other reviews were noted. On arrival we found the gentleman in reception to be very efficient and helpful in all aspects
Our stay of 4 nights was just relaxation ,including the breakfast package delivered each evening. The room was large for a motel,including a kitchenette with all utensils and a microwave,Electric jug & toaster. If more than overnight stay is envisaged we suggest you carry an electric fry pan. The shopping centre and hotels are a 10 minute casual walk. Excellent large meals at reasonable costs are available. The beach is across the road , with an info building close by. An excellent family holiday area.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Motel owner from a horror movie, the most obnoxious, rude host I have ever come across.

Did no favours to the image of the Australian hospitality. Shame on him.

• Disliked — The owner's manner.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank TravellingQ8
Rod K, Manager at Coastal Motel, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
We are disappointed with this person's experience. They have been non specific. No complaints were made to reception. A check of our records shows we have not had any guests from Kuwait City or that country in December 2008 or January 2009 and it would appear that they were not guests.