“Just a cheap backpackers”

Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
Brisbane, Australia
“Just a cheap backpackers”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed a night in a 4-bed mixed dorm. The bed was cheap by Australian standards ($28) and the quality reflected the price. I had a top bunk and the handrail and foot of the bed almost came off when I climbed up (I'm only 75kg). When I lay down my feet poked through the metal rails at the end of the bed (I'm only 166cm / 5'6" tall). There were no pillows on the beds either.

While the beds are pretty awful and quite substandard the backpackers is quite chilled out with plenty of common spaces to sit. It is also clean. They must have a theft problem because plates and cutlery cost a $10 deposit that you get back after you return them.

Many people at the hostel seem to work on nearby farms. But they still seem to be short-term backpacker workers not long-term residents. Someone told me the hostel helps them get work and there is a bus from the hostel to and from the farms.

The 8pm balcony curfew and 10pm common room/alcohol curfew are strictly enforced. I was told that it was because the neighbours have complained about noise in the past. This is good if you are trying to sleep because at least there are no parties going on all night long.

You get what you pay for and $28 seems to be quite a reasonable rate in backpacker hostels in Australia at the moment so overall I'd say it was average. I'd stay there again if I were in the area. I've stayed in many better hostels. But also in many worse.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew G

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed here for a night and arrived pretty late. If we would have had a choice of finding another place at that hour we would have, because the room and hostel in general was dirty!!! The NZ guy who welcomed us was really nice and helpful so we had a positive attitude upon arrival. It was so late that we just wanted to go to bed, but first I had to clean at least 20 long, dark hairs of my bed. The floors were really sticky (wear flip-flops at all times) and the walls and cupboards were full of stains and spillage from other travellers. In addition the blinds were broken and there were heaps of dust and dead flies in the window sill. The mattress was so thin that I could feel the planks under the mattress.The room would have been really nice if they had just cleaned it properly and fixed all the broken stuff in there. The pool was never an option to use since it was surrounded by dirt and empty beer bottles. When I complained before paying the staff was very unprofessional and there was never even an option of paying less than the 31 dollars it costed per person. Would never stay here again, and it is without a doubt the dirtiest hostel I have ever stayed in within Australia.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Mooloolaba hotels

UK
Reviewed 28 January 2012

When arriving we were told we had a double room with TV and ensuite, we actually had a 4 bed dorm but were assured nobody else would check in to that room. The girl even made up an excuse that all her private rooms had been booked out for weeks, which is no excuse as we had booked one. The hostel is clean though

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I had a really great itme here, but it was mostly because of the wonderful people I met and stayed with here for several weeks. The hostel itself is kinda run down and dirty, with an ill equipped kitchen, and bathrooms that get filthy because there is no separation of the shower to the rest of the floor. We told one cleaner about this and he said he didn't care. Rooms dont get cleaned everyday (i guess because the cleaners dont care..) Despite all this I had an amazing time. the location is great, beach and nightclubs and pubs nearby. If service and cleanliness had been better this place would be getting 5 stars from me!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 December 2011

My friend and I stayed at Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers for only 1 night. We stayed in an ensuite bedroom. It was pretty clean, we're happy about that. We met only one staff and she was friendly enough.

We love the location as it's quite near to the wharf and underwater world.

We left early so we didn't have the breakfast. There is a kitchen but the kettles are worn and stained pretty badly. Utensils are not very clean.

Nevertheless, we had a comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mooloolaba
13.3 km away
0.1 km away
River Esplanade Motel
River Esplanade Motel
#11 of 15 in Mooloolaba

Been to Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!