All reviewshogs breathacross the roadcoffee machinepool barcoffee clubbedroom ocean apartmentpools are greatheated lap poolbulcock beachspa bathsunshine coasttext messageocean viewking bedrestaurants and cafesperfect locationdown stairs
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Room was lovely, staff were friendly, location is great. Can't fault our stay at Rumba

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Glad I only paid $595 for 5 nights in a 1 bd room king spa suite + $220 for extra night. As the standard rate is $260 a night.
Although the scoopon had block out dates I tryed to book in February only to be told there was a surcharge in certain dates obviously because of the tennis tournament ($$$ to them not charging the full rate).
I understand its not a hotel however I dont believe that I have to wash my own towels and bed sheets in anything thats rated 5 star. Coffee machine would be great but you have to buy the pods? Not even a sample? No sugar upon arrival? Then told to come to reception to collect + interrogated about why I need extra towels (for the pool). Spa in room was fantastic however had to clean myself after every use as the room service only made the bed and emptied the bin. Also the soaps, shampoos etc not replaced daily.
The tv is glued to the glass bench (not adjustable) and points an akward angle if your on the couch and the "cable tv" is about 6 channels 3 of which are sport! No movie channel or kids channel.
Also no Fitness Centre & am Really annoyed about this.
The light switches are a pain in the rear end because you have to hold them down to adjust brightness. Good luck to the next person in room 303 who tries to open the dishwasher and getting the lights / fan above the stove to work! Tricks to everything such as a sliding towards you lighting / fan (see pic for what I mean) because the simple switches are not connected. Parking is free & always had a spot, the jacuzzi is massive and really warm all the time. Pool is nice even though the pool side bar is only open Fri,sat, sun nights although not open the friday nigh we were staying!
All the restaurants on the esplanade in the rumba are over priced and fairly average!
Our room was a 2 bd room with 2nd bedroom locked so very spacious however if more people not so sure. Ocean view was a glimpse, More of a pool view room!
Overall would not return and company is deceiving such as my scoopon said " 5 nights in a spa SUITE" not self contained do everything yourself apartment. I do blame Rumba as surely they would tell Scoopon how to advertise it!
The full rate is $260 a night in Sydney thats the rate of a 4 1/2 hotel where your treated like royalty.

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Family of 4 stayed during the flooding rains from 14/1 for a week in a 2 bed apartment on 3rd floor. We chose to pay extra for a beach view & our room was just lovely. I absolutely loved our balcony which looked out onto the esplanade & beach. The board walk was a family favourite on the few mornings we were not being drenched with the driving flooding rains. The beach in front of the resort is quite calm & great for smaller children interested in sand castle building perhaps & a paddle in the water although it does have a strong rip so watch that. A 12 minute walk along the wonderful esplanade & board walk sees you at Kings beach which is patrolled & full of families enjoying the waves & clean surrounds. This is an excellent spot for some body boarding or playing in the large waves. Rumba was luxiouriously appointed with 2 plasma screens, thank god for this on the 4 wet days out of our 7 there! We sat back & enjoyed the Tennis in comfort. The beds were good, the room was clean & the airconditioning was a must & worked well. This was only used over night when it proved impossible to sleep with the huge balcony doors opened for several reasons. 1 being that as we were right on the beach front (not complaining as loving the views) & that meant it was very windy & the curtains would get sucked out & not provide any window coverage. The sun rises at 4.38am there! 2nd the council who do a wonderful job of keeping the esplanade & beach areas spotless start work around 6-30am with their loud blower vacs cleaning up the side walks. However we discoved closing up & using the air at night gave you a really peacefull nights sleep. I loved the fact that it was easy to walk to many wonderful eateries either in the building or nearby. Great fish & chip shop just a 2 minute walk away heading towards the grand pacific. A 5 minute walk found us at Jow Noodles, this has to be the best Chinese take away I have had ever! Very cheap & low fat & tasted wonderful. Also just next door to them was Stacks pancakes. Great prices, friendly service & wonderful food! Back to the resort, the pools were lovely. Our son loved the lap pool, it has port holes in the bottom that let you look into the Hoggs Breath cafe located below the pool. This provides endless entertainment for both dinners & swimmers alike. The pool has a few problems with its lining however & the resort has indicated it is negotiating it repair, it is still fully operational until they start the repairs. Next to the heated lap pool is a warm toasty spa, very large & very popular but room for many. Their large swimming pool is also in this area, it doesn't feel heated but was great for a swim anyway. Due to it being so chilly & rainy we were glad that the lap pool & spa were heated. We loved our stay & will return again. Only negative was like others have said re the handy coffee maker. This is a great appliance & really appreciated. Works so easily & produces a lovely cup of coffee. I had no problem paying $1 per pod at reception but when I asked the staff member who popped in to make our beds if I could get a couple of sugar sachets from her she replied I would have to purchase these from reception! For $1.40 at Woolies I could have bought a 500gm pack of sugar but only needed a couple of extra sachets that would cost them next to nothing & this was not a cheap place to stay so in the name of customer service I would offer these freely.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the ocean view.
2  Thank Trellios
RumbaResort, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed blog. I felt sick reading your comment that one of our housekeepers said you would have to buy your own sugar sachets. That is so not our policy. Your comments have triggered a revised staff training procedure to ensure something as simple as that doesn't happen again. Please contact me (Bill) when you book your next stay. We want to make it up to you. It's the little things that matter!

Reviewed 28 January 2012

There is nothing 5 star about this resort. Granted it is not a hotel but an apartment complex which they are at pains to spell out when you check-in. Reception hours are short. The apartments are OK but not spectacular in any way. The kitchen is poorly laid out and cramped.
The apartments have mediocre beds (Sealy with a 5 year warranty as opposed to 10) which are only 2 years old but if you are unlucky and get one which has had heavier use as we had, it sagged in the middle on my side and made my back condition worse. I told reception but the rude woman said it was not her fault and because they were completely booked out, she couldn't move us. She suggested we look elsewhere! Luckily once I asked and they removed the feather topper and I slept on my husband's side, it was a bit better.
The furnishing are nice but not exceptional or 5 star except the couch which is leather and lovely.
There are 3 items that appear to have people raving. 1) the coffee machine (not that important to us) 2) the electronics including the light switches and dennon sound system (the latter is great and, really, who cares about the former) and 3) the pool (is in the corridor between the back and front buildings and in the corridor between the two front buildings. I use the term corridor because that is what it is: the space between the two buildings which is not large but appears to be the minimum spacing required. There is the jacuzzi which is larger than most and lovely but is still between two 5-6 storey buildings. We had terrible weather and so I don't know, but I wondered how much sun would penetrate these outdoor spaces and I expect not much.)
And as the title of this review states, I think that the developer has maximised their returns by crowding in as much as possible into the site and adding what appear to be 5 star touches such as the pools and light switches which on closer inspection do not make for a 5 star experience. Probably 4-41/2 star.

P.s We had room 409 and whilst you get a peep at the beach, the outlook is the airconditioning units for the buildings in front.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the front buildings facing the beach.
5  Thank Lucy787
RumbaResort, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

We are so sorry you had an unpleasant time. We just can't understand what went wrong. If there is anything at all we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to contact me personally. I will stive to ensure you have a great "Rumba Experience".

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed at Rumba for 4 days for during the flooding in S.E. Qld. We stayed in a 3 bedroom beach view apartment which was 5 star in most respects. It is 2 years old and as expected in spot on condition. The apartment on the 4th level is very very modern. Every applicance is very high quality e.g. Meile, Plasma. Spotless apartment, fully integrated air, great beds.
Front onto Bullock Beach which had been done up by Caloundra Council. This was a great place to stay for the 4 days of extremely heavy rain.
Staff on entry were good and contact with them during the four days was great. Staff wanted to make beds, take rubbish everyday.
May be brand new, but will be No. 1 at Caloundra for quite some time. Great apartment for family if you can afford it.

1  Thank blackboycreek