All reviewshogs breathacross the roadcoffee machinepool barcoffee clubbedroom ocean apartmentpools are greatheated lap poolbulcock beachspa bathsunshine coasttext messageocean viewking bedrestaurants and cafesperfect locationeach morning
Reviewed 28 January 2012

There is nothing 5 star about this resort. Granted it is not a hotel but an apartment complex which they are at pains to spell out when you check-in. Reception hours are short. The apartments are OK but not spectacular in any way. The kitchen is poorly laid out and cramped.
The apartments have mediocre beds (Sealy with a 5 year warranty as opposed to 10) which are only 2 years old but if you are unlucky and get one which has had heavier use as we had, it sagged in the middle on my side and made my back condition worse. I told reception but the rude woman said it was not her fault and because they were completely booked out, she couldn't move us. She suggested we look elsewhere! Luckily once I asked and they removed the feather topper and I slept on my husband's side, it was a bit better.
The furnishing are nice but not exceptional or 5 star except the couch which is leather and lovely.
There are 3 items that appear to have people raving. 1) the coffee machine (not that important to us) 2) the electronics including the light switches and dennon sound system (the latter is great and, really, who cares about the former) and 3) the pool (is in the corridor between the back and front buildings and in the corridor between the two front buildings. I use the term corridor because that is what it is: the space between the two buildings which is not large but appears to be the minimum spacing required. There is the jacuzzi which is larger than most and lovely but is still between two 5-6 storey buildings. We had terrible weather and so I don't know, but I wondered how much sun would penetrate these outdoor spaces and I expect not much.)
And as the title of this review states, I think that the developer has maximised their returns by crowding in as much as possible into the site and adding what appear to be 5 star touches such as the pools and light switches which on closer inspection do not make for a 5 star experience. Probably 4-41/2 star.

P.s We had room 409 and whilst you get a peep at the beach, the outlook is the airconditioning units for the buildings in front.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the front buildings facing the beach.
5  Thank Lucy787
RumbaResort, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

We are so sorry you had an unpleasant time. We just can't understand what went wrong. If there is anything at all we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to contact me personally. I will stive to ensure you have a great "Rumba Experience".

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed at Rumba for 4 days for during the flooding in S.E. Qld. We stayed in a 3 bedroom beach view apartment which was 5 star in most respects. It is 2 years old and as expected in spot on condition. The apartment on the 4th level is very very modern. Every applicance is very high quality e.g. Meile, Plasma. Spotless apartment, fully integrated air, great beds.
Front onto Bullock Beach which had been done up by Caloundra Council. This was a great place to stay for the 4 days of extremely heavy rain.
Staff on entry were good and contact with them during the four days was great. Staff wanted to make beds, take rubbish everyday.
May be brand new, but will be No. 1 at Caloundra for quite some time. Great apartment for family if you can afford it.

1  Thank blackboycreek
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We have just finished a stay at Rhumba and there is not a single level on which the resort did not just deliver but exceed our expectations. We could not have had a better time and in fact extended our stay by a few days and have already booked for next year. The staff were not just helpful but incredibly friendly and warm. We had iffy weather for the first few days - but the heated pool was a great option for a swim in the rain, and once the sun came out, the kids lived in the big pool. The resort is amazing for families, but because of the layout, the parents can have a relaxing time while keeping an eye on the children. There are loads of cafe's and restaurants right at your doorstep. The rooms themselves are beautiful with a big open plan living, dining and kitchen, incredibly comfy beds and huge bathrooms. Cannot recommend Rhumba more highly.

Room Tip: If you're staying in the tower at the back, some of the rooms don't have views, so ask for one in the middle.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2012

When booking a week away for the family, I was tossing up between another resort and this one. Looking back we are so glad we chose Rumba. Firstly, we booked the two-bedroom spa suite resort. We rang up a week prior to confirm the reservation. The very helpful receptionist on the phone upgraded us to the two-bedroom ocean view room. A better room for a lower price. She even chucked in a free bottle of champagne!

On the morning of arrival, they contacted us saying we could check in two hours earlier. We were also quickly and promptly checked in and directed to our rooms. The only complaint I have is the vaguely signed car park which can be confusing. The lifts were very handy and almost private.

Although a bit smaller than usual, the rooms were very enjoyable. The amenities in the room were very impressive such as the spa, balcony, coffee machine and kitchen. The beds were very comfortable and hard to get out of in the morning!

One of the highlights of the resort was the two pools and jacuzzi. There was also plenty of room to sit by the pool and relax. Main beaches such as Bulcock and Kings were not far away. I would also recommend hiring the bikes from Reception and going for a ride along the beach.

To conclude, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Rumba Resort, would stay again and would recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: Recommend selecting a room with an ocean view
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Not enough can be said about Rumba. The thing that stands out is the service from "The Rumba Team" to make your stay the very best. Nothing is too much trouble, and the rooms are top quality and definitely worth the money. Lee, who is the Guest Relations Manager, needs to be commended for her commitment to the role she plays. As far as rooms go, 10 out of 10 from me for location of rooms, cleanliness, King Size beds you never want to get out of, air con, in house movies, state of the art surround sound...the list goes on. Service, 10 out of 10, ask and if it is possible, you will receive it. Facilities, you couldn't ask for more. Lap pool, swimming pool, spa and jacuzzi..ALL where you can see where the kids are at all times. Rumba gets a 5 star rating from me and ticks all the boxes for an excellent stay. Makes me want to go back again and again.