Open today: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm

Elusive simplicity

Reviewed 5 May 2015
maczero
Canberra

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 October 2015

First I would like to say Thank you Tony for a great afternoon with you whilst learning the art of fly casting. your methods of teaching are easy to understand, and easy to follow even for an old bugger like me!
It was a very enjoyable afternoon with you, and I am very much looking forward to the next time we return so I can move up to the next stage.

It is refreshing to find people like yourself who are willing to teach, and to pass your knowledge and techniques on to people so they too can enjoy the relaxing art of fly fishing

Anyone thinking of learning how to fly fish, this is the place to start

Date of experience: October 2015
Tony K, Owner at Tumut Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2015

Thank you for the review. The techniques I have developed over many years are all about exactly what you experienced. Regardless of age, physical or fitness level, my exclusive techniques allows anyone to learn how to fly fish with ease and total pleasure. It is a pleasure to have met you and your beautiful family and I hope you love the rod I got for you as much as I enjoyed getting for you. I look forward to seeing you again for your next fly fishing lesson. As I said to you, please don't hesitate to contact me in the meantime if I can help you with any advice, I know you live a long way away. Best Regards Tony - Tumut fly Fishing ( Senior Instructor)

Reviewed 5 May 2015

Tony is a passionate and enthusiastic teacher, endlessly patient, of a demonstrably superior casting (and basically simple, flexible) method that lobs the fly "courteously" and gently into the water( rather than whipping it down in a straight line to scare off the inhabitants). He also teaches three knots that solved all the problems I've had with what others teach. It is a unique system. I lack the experience and success to make fair comparisons, but came away feeling I had been with a true master, and will be going back for more. No better guide for gear, either

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank maczero
Tony K, Guest Relations Manager at Tumut Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2015

Thank for your appreciation and recognition of my efforts. It is important that we spread the word about my Fly fishing services so as others can also enjoy the experience. Look forward to our next outing. Tony

Reviewed 16 December 2014

This was a surprise birthday present for my partner Andrew, and this is probably one of the best holidays we have ever shared, together with my girlfriend Beryl. Tumut was the perfect place for us, the setting along the rivers where Tony took us were exceptional and some of the most stunning scenery I have seen in Australia. And Tony really made such an effort to make our lessons exceptional, and they were. We spent 2 days learning to cast and tie knots and basic river craft, and we felt it was only scratching the surface. We will be back and can't wait. All three of us would highly recommend this exceptional holiday.

Date of experience: December 2014
1  Thank Christine J
Tony K, Owner at Tumut Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2015

Thank you for your review. It is a wonderful feeling when you can share an exciting new experience, like Fly Fishing, with your friends. Learning to Fly Fish is a lovely experience and thanks to your review it might encourage other people to try it. The Snowy Mountains Tumut region is absolutely beautiful all year. I do hope to see you again and we can have more fun and see some more beautiful places. Tony - Tumut Fly Fishing

Reviewed 12 November 2014

I had the good fortune to meet Tony for a 3 day introduction course to fly fishing while staying at Sefton House. Learning to fly fish was always on my "bucket list" but little did I realise how it combined the technical mechanics of a golf swing with a real sense of being at one with nature as you learn the basic requirements of stream craft. I had a great time learning the basics of casting from Tony and being able to practise his unique kinetic powercast techniques. It wasn't all technique as Tony was a great instructor and real gentlemen so the varied conversation and breaks for coffee and Renaa's wonderful picnic lunch made the 3 days seem to "fly" by.

Tony's approach to prospective clients for both his motel and fly fishing courses is slightly unusual as he wants to talk to you in detail about your needs first before taking a booking. Having spent time with Tony, you come to understand why he does this and how it only adds to the wonderful experience of staying at Sefton House and spending time with him in the beautiful Tumut area. He has got me really interested in taking my fly fishing skills further and I hope to become a more frequent visitor back to the Tumut area in the future!

Date of experience: November 2014
1  Thank Doug10002014
Tony K, Owner at Tumut Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2014

Thank you for very much for your review, it is greatly appreciated and I hope everyone that reads it gest inspiration from it and comes to Tumut and tries Fly Fishing. The whole beautiful experience of learning the gentle art of Fly Fishing in the Snowy Mountains and staying at a magnificent place like Boutique Motel Sefton House in Tumut is a wonderful experience. we try to treat everyone as an individual and like to discuss their Fly Fishing and accommodation needs and not just treat people like a number. We look after singles, couples and we are very popular with social and corporate groups that like to share each others company and stay all together in the one motel. Philosophy is easy, all you have to do is just put yourself in the other persons position and treat them the way you would want to be treated. It is an absolute pleasure to meet you and we will see you soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2014

I would like to share my experience with others on learning how to fly fish with Tony. I have always loved fishing. Am not an expert in any particular field of fishing but love the relaxation of it all. After watching shows on T.V about fly fishing I always assumed that it was a bit too hard to do. My husband doug asked if I would like to have a go. He organised a holiday to Tumut and fly fishing lessons with Tony.So here I was getting lessons off Tony. He assured me that it is not that hard once you know how to cast. Tony has this very simple and unique technique that is very kind to your body. I have to say, that I have not met anyone so passionate about his fly fishing. It is quite contagious. He was amazing. In a few days I learned how to cast with ease. WOW!,,,, I have to give Tony a big " thank you" for being so patient with me. Your technique is truly amazing. Can,t wait to catch my first trout. Till next time!!!!!

Libby & doug

Date of experience: October 2014
1  Thank Libby5663
Tony K, Owner at Tumut Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2014

It was my pleasure to share with you my world exclusive simple precision power cast, it makes Fly Fishing casting simple and effortless. Any one of any or any fitness level can cast easily up to 20 metres in one simple kinetic action using my exclusive technique. I'm glad that your hooked and congratulations on your new gear, welcome to the zone. I get people from 10 year olds to 80 year olds and it works with everyone. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.