“Much better than the reviews suggest - Great for longer stays”

Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I wasn’t sure what the Medina would be like after reading all of the reviews on TripAdvisor but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised!

With my work I’m required to travel often, and usually stay in any given place for 3 or 4 nights and I have to say that these days I explicitly request Medina over the other hotels our company allows us to use. I found North Ryde to be nicely located (for a none city hotel, set in bushland on a quiet road) and well equipped. Apartment was well furnished (although the furniture isn’t to my taste!) and self contained with a full kitchen, dinning space, lounge area, TV, DVD, utility room with washer/dryer, 2 bathrooms and 2 double bedrooms. Essentially, these apartments are actually duplex town houses. The staff are friendly and polite and the public area’s make for a nice break from the office with well kept gardens.

The property does look a little tired but I think that’s simply down to age. New carpets and a couple of minor finishes (new lamps, dinning chairs) would bring the place up a lot. Nice pool area and spa.

If you’re working in North Ryde and want something that gives you some home comfort I’d recommend this over the others in the area.

Pros:
Clean and well kept
Friendly staff
Nice pool and gardens
Huge apartments (request a low sunken one!)
Good value for money
Ideal for longer stays
Bush setting
Nice pool and quiet gym

Cons:
Little tired
Not close to the city (but a direct train is nearby)
Reception not 24 hours

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde

Reviewed 24 September 2010

We booked into this hotel for about 12 days in August, choosing the location to be near where my brother lives. My overwhelming impression of the "Executive" North Ryde is that it's very tired and undermaintained. We actually ended up staying in 3 different appartments, and essentially they were all the same- decor from the 90s (being generous), very uninspiring bathrooms featuring my pet hate- insipid showers that seem to be impossible to adjust to get the correct temperature, old kitchens with seemingly ancient appliences. Oh, and the air conditioning/heating is very noisy. To be fair, it was clean (although in one bathroom the smell of bleach was so overpowering as to make it unusable) and the desk staff were helpful. So if you want function, then fine, if you want luxury, character or romance, forget it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2010

On arrival I went to reception to check in, the girl on the desk took forever to do the simplest things. I then went to my room, the rooms are nothing like the photos and in need of an upgrade. The 'courtyard' is a small brick area with overgrown, unkept gardens taking over, and leaf litter hiding the floor, with some plastic chairs thrown in the middle. That said all of the basics are there, and the laundry is a good bonus. The dishes were filthy; dried food on the bowls and plates, dusty glasses etc. In the bathroom I found a delightful assortment of bugs living under the spare toilet role. I dont think the place had been cleaned for a while. Next I wandered around the grounds, the 'gym' smelt repulsive and the pool had its two umbrellas lying on their sides. This place really doesnt care what it looks like. A note to business travellers; the location is very good for the Macquarie Park area but dont rely on the shuttle bus (the driver is fantastic) but reception staff fail to notice or let you know when it is running late or early, so you pretty much have to show up and hope for the best. Twice out of seven times it was on time, once it left early (and I recieved no phone call to say it was early), and the other four it was over 20 minutes late. Now I understand theres traffic and all the rest - just dont expect the reception staff to actually let you know, or help when you ask them where it is(all bar the man working there who did his best). Customer service in general was poor to say the least and the standards of the grounds low. It is very basic, I've stayed in hostels with better service, rooms etc. Definately does not deserve its four star rating!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We stayed in this hotel for a large team sporting event, our team took up 6 of the 2-br apartments. We were not sure what to expect with the varying degrees of reviews good and bad and were hoping for the best when we arrived.

For what we wanted - which was apartment style living for two weeks with kitchen and laundry - this suited the purpose and was fine. I won't say it was outstanding but it was perfect for what we needed. It was close to transit (bus stops across the street), it was close to a large mall for shopping (groceries and regular shopping) and it was a nice quiet neighbourhood type of area (not a strip of hotels all strung together).

The rooms were clean - not spotless but clean. The 2br apt seemed huge, small kitchen, small eat-in area off the kitchen, larger dining room, bedrooms of decent size, large family room area.

Jen

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 1 September 2009

The rooms were clean and very tidy. The facilities were great and the staff were very friendly. Was concerned after reading other reviews however found my concerns were unfounded. Would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Coogee
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee Sydney
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde? Share your experiences!