“The Peking Duck has been our favourite for many years”
Review of North Ryde RSL

North Ryde RSL
Ranked #65 of 94 Restaurants in North Ryde
Reviewed 29 September 2017

We have been visiting the Chinese restaurant on the top floor of North Ryde RSL for many years. It has recently had a face-lift, with new menus and decor and name change to "House of Tong" (unfortunate name since it sounds like a buffet) but the food is as good as ever and the service is extremely friendly and attentive.

The main reason we keep coming back is that you can order Peking Duck without pre-ordering. $67 gets you 12 pancakes from the crispy skin and the rest of the meat with fried rice, noodles or Chinese vegetables (no bones to pick). We had the vegetable option this time, which involved a lot of snow peas (another favourite of mine). All up, this would feed a group of 3 or 4 - maybe throw in an extra dish if you have some big eaters.

The duck was both moist and lean. Traditional Chinese diners prefer a fatty duck but this lean one was very much to our taste. If you have never had Peking Duck, this is the place to try it for the first time.

Is it usually just the two of us, but this time we had our 16yo daughter with us and she was very impressed with the food. We dined yesterday and she was telling me this morning that she was still thinking about the duck - it was so good!

The service was attentive as always. Some people might find it a bit intrusive or rushed, but I think this is a style thing - they pride themselves on being prompt and enthusiastic.

Overall, this is a surprisingly authentic high quality Chinese restaurant to find inside a club. As with all clubs in NSW, you will need to be a member if you live within 5km or sign in as a guest at the front desk. As an added bonus, you can save some money by having pre-dinner or after-dinner drinks in one of the club bars downstairs!

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I have eaten here more times than I care to remember as an elderly family member is a club member.
I. Just. Don’t. Get. It.
They have an amazing, huge, modern kitchen.
They always seem to be overflowing with kitchen staff.
They charge restaurant, not club, prices for meals. Yet the food varies from average to appalling.
The main eatery was called The Atrium but that’s been renamed ‘Riverviews’ after a minor refurbishment. After dining I found that the décor may have changed but nothing else has…
In the past I have had meals here that were just inexcusably bad – a steak that was supposed to include 3 or 4 prawns but instead had 1 prawn and two prawn heads. Yes, you read right. Prawn. Heads. Not prawns.
Our daughter has been served a kids meal hot-dog that was totally rancid.
But… I thought we’d try again.

As I was waiting to order a woman came back to the counter with her meal, screaming at the staff that the meat on her burger was totally off (rancid). Not a good start.

I ordered steak, my elderly family member the roast of the day.
The steak was nice quality meat & cooked as ordered – medium rare – however it had been char-grilled on a grill that was way too hot so the outside was totally charred giving all of the meat a bitter burnt taste. Such a shame to ruin good meat.
My family member had the ‘Roast of the Day’. The meat was totally dried out, made chewable only with the aid of gravy.
In-short a pretty ho-hum experience.
I think what gets me the most is the meal prices.
Clubs are supposed to be reasonably priced yet this place charges restaurant prices for really sub-par food.
If you are in the area & stuck for a meal then give it a try but otherwise I’d be seeking out somewhere nearby in Lane Cove or North Ryde/Macquarie Park…
I should add that they have a Chinese restaurant upstairs that has also recently been refurbished & it had a very good name but it is closed on Mondays (when we visited).

3  Thank Adam W
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Well this rsl is large huge pokies counter meals were great and good prices well presented they also supplied a free bus shuttle service to our accomodation good value

Reviewed 12 July 2017

This place has plenty of parking, a large gaming area, bars, large screen TV's, a souvenir shop and a cafe on the ground floor with a restaurant, bistro and function rooms on the upper floors. I especially like the Atrium Brasserie (aka Riverview Bistro) for a hearty meal

Reviewed 1 June 2017

Love eating at RSL venues as your nearly always guaranteed a good solid feed and this RSL did not disappoint.
Really good value wine for sale in their shop and a courtesy bus from your accomodation, what more could you ask for? Thankyou.