As I've often said, perception and value are so important but can change from person to person.
I had booked this after looking at the web sites and was influenced by "waldorf" which connotes a certain quality, "B and B resort" which suggests small, boutique and intimate and "country hospitality" which in normal cases means warm and friendly.
The photograph on this page even looks like a small intimate boutique style B&B.
Once you get beyond these few metres, it turns into a basic brick motel and none of the above assumptions holds true.
I was also influenced by the fact that i had rung the "motel" and asked about pricing and whether the $250 for the only available room was the best if I kept looking at the web sites that I still had open.
She said yes and I accepted as I didn't want to spend hours chasing a deal.
Imagine my anger when I noticed on the travel sites that they all offered the same room for $230.
It's only $20 but it was more the lack of openness and honesty.
When I checked in, I asked about it and they said I wasn't specific enough about it.
I said I had asked about better rates but they replied I didn't actually ask "if I looked at Expedia or Wotif, would I find a better rate"
This was all a bit cute for me and next time (except there won't be a next time) I would ensure I had a solicitor check the exact words of the deal.
The other main issue for me is that travellers who have experienced overseas quality would assume a similar quality to "waldorf Astoria" a well known quality brand.
I seriously wonder why a local company with motels would use such a name/brand.
The most objective critic of the quality and perception would be Lynn - she wasn't aware of any of these thoughts and as we walked into the room, the first comment she made was "we are not spending any time in here are we - what time is dinner at Solitary, who can we find to visit so that we don't have to spend time in this motel room"
She had no idea that we had just committed to $250 for this room - in her mind, it was a basic $99 motel room.
So yes, for all those who have paid $99, it may seem like value but if you have paid $200 plus, you would be seriously questioning it.
I have regularly paid more than $250 for the Sheraton, Hyatt, Westin etc. but this is no Sheraton, Hyatt or Westin.
When I asked about the pool, they start by saying it is an outdoor pool, and on further questioning about heating, they say it is solar heated but won't answer the question about its temperature.
In the mountains, "solar" must surely be cold but nonetheless I tried it.
I swim in either the harbour or the beach every day and let me tell you that they are warmer than "solar" at Leura.
As I was swiming a few lapas, I looked up to the motel rooms and thought I was in a scene from Jailhouse Rock" - the rooms looked small and the balconies made from look like the inmates from a jail.
Apart from that, the spa was dirty - there was sand on the bottom - no idea how it would have got there but it certainly didn't look like it was cleaned too often.
The sad thing is that the Blue Mountains is such a wonderful place to visit and a boutique style B&B would be perfect for such a weekend - unfortunately the Waldorf is just another large brick motel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort offers warm country hospitality set amidst 4.5 acres of landscaped gardens and overlooking the 4th fairway of Leura Golf Course, the Resort offers a relaxing and memorable venue for any occasion.The location is perfect, only minutes from all the attractions of the Blue Mountains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Expedia APAC, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waldorf Leura Gardens Hotel Leura
- Leura Gardens Hotel
- Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort Blue Mountains