“Very Nice, Great Location and Very Welcoming Staff”

Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leura
GreenLeadersGold level
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Very Nice, Great Location and Very Welcoming Staff”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

First thing is that the staff are great. All round from the bar staff, reception staff and everyone really. They are really helpful. For example I have a infant and I asked the bar if I could get a glass of milk for my Infants bed time (I wasn't buying anything else), and the staff member was happy to provide that and at no cost. There was no usual response like "Uh, all right, I get it", only "yes sure thing sir, is there any thing else I can get for you".. Great service.

Anyway, the rest of the Hotel is very nice, great location near (although not right next too) most Blue Mountain sights.

Rooms a little dated, but very clean and very pleasant.

food in Bar not too bad either.

Breakfast can be a bit of a bun fight, but the selection is vast.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
UAE
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights recently for a work conference and from the website and fact that it had recently been 'refurbished' was expecting it to be quite good.

Check-in
On arrival at 2.45pm (45 mins after dedicated check in time) we arrived - first of our large group, only to be told that no rooms where available. We had the most inept check in attendant I have ever encountered some 60 something year old man who seemed to take forever to do anything and was quite ambivalent at the whole situation. He even took (no exaggeration) about 6 or 7 minutes to acknowledge us after the last guest walked away despite our already having been waiting for a good 20 minutes while he sorted out their requirement - which again seemed to be handled in a very unnecessarily protracted manner. We were told we would need to wait for our room and finally after much disputing and waiting for 20 minutes, were given a room - however were made to feel like they were doing us a favour in doing so.

Room
The room has been modernised but is very, very basic. It lacks any sort of charm or character which is what you would be seeking as a visitor to the blue mountains. There are much nicer places to stay when there - we've stayed at a few. The shower is one of the worst I've encountered in a hotel which drizzles water and is hard to set from a temperature perspective. The blue mountain views aren't exactly that either - all you can see is the gum trees in a row in front of the hotel which block any mountain aspect beyond. This is the case from all rooms as I saw the other conference attendees rooms as well and all were the same. You can also hear what is happening in the adjacent room - particularly late at night due to the paper thin walls and the doors slam quite audibly.

Over the days we stayed we ate at all the different food venues the hotel had to offer and can only stress how terribly poor the food was for Australian standards. The only way I can describe it is really dodgy bistro/hospital fare. One of our team members came down with food poisoning as well. Breakfast was poorly organised with dirty dishes everywhere and food not being replaced in a timely manner. The bar also closed very early leaving everyone with no option other than to go to bed as all other venues are too far.

I used the hotel pool during the stay and found that it was unattended and there were no towels left. Not wanting to make the massive trek to the room on the other side of the resort, I phoned house keeping and asked that they bring some down for all the guests. Well.....after finally getting through after 6 attempts, I was told this would be done, but 1.5 hours later...nothing. So I had to walk through the 'resort' dripping wet only to have to use my own room towel, leaving me with a sopping wet towel for my morning shower. Our i-phone charger also went 'missing' after leaving it in the room on check out and immediately chasing it up with the hotel on arriving home 2 hours later. So between this and the attempts for over-charging of mini bar items, the service staff clearly need to be watched.

Parking
Parking at the site is a serious issue as it is self parking and quite often we were left circling (particularly in the evening) due to a lack of spots - sometimes having to park quite some distance away and then trekking back.

Hotel Generally
Whilst some areas have been re-furbished the hotel has a very outdated 1980's ski lodge feel to it and most of the common areas are antiquated and tired. I am very surprised that they can charge what they do and the hotel seems to get by on conference attendees being forced to stay by their companies. In fact if you were a guest staying on your own, you would feel very out of place.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, unless you don't get to travel much and can get it at a very cheap rate and don't really mind about sub-par service and amenities. I'd rather stay at a B&B than there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank bella_oes1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
3.8 km away
3.9 km away
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
3.7 km away
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!