“Pleasant Hotel - needs a bit of an update” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain Heritage

Mountain Heritage
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Adelaide, Australia
“Pleasant Hotel - needs a bit of an update”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed at the Mountain heritage over the first weekend in february 2012. The hotel is very well placed with stunning views from the restaurant and lounge, although our room only overlooked the car park. I had no complaints about our room, it was clean and tidy and we had plenty of space. I would have preffered larger towels in the bathroom, I like to feel able to wrap a towel around me after a shower! The breakfast was plentiful, and on our second morning they offered a cook to order service which was far more pleasant than the hot buffet which we had on the first morning. If the owners want a tip on a change worth making it would be to offer a cook to order service at all times. The quality and taste on the second day was far superior and definately worth the short wait. Another tip would be to offer free wifi - paying for wifi really is a rip off these days.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if you want one, otherwise you will end up looking at another bedrooom or...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

A good location walking distance from the top of Katoomba's main street. Excellent views fron the restaurant and recommend a drink on the patio watching the sun go down. Food was good and staff helpful. The hotel is dated, don't expect a view if you don't pay for one, we overlooked air conditioning units and a roof. The bathroom needed an update with mould in places around the bath. But the room was a good size and everything worked. No lifts so be aware you will have to carry bags up stairs. Swimming pool is also functional but looks a bit shabby around the edges.

• Stayed January 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed for a night in the Mountain Heritage Hotel & Spa for one night recently. We had booked a Heritage Room and were quite pleased with what we had. Usually when you book the most basic room at a hotel it is quite evident and lacking in size/style. Our room was large, comfortable bed and quiet. Granted, there was no view (air conditioning duct aside), but we were not there for the room, but for walking in the Blue Mountains. The bathroom was fine, towels could do with replacing but were sufficent. I do have to note that the hairdryer is shocking - you would have better luck fan drying your hair with a magazine - but that is probably the only input.

The bar was great with good drinks and sitting outside with a Kookaburra about a metre away with some great views of the mountains. The restaurant also was very good and the food was great and very well priced. Service was a little bit slow, but we were not in a hurry to go anywhere. Upon finishing dinner we went back to the bar for a nightcap and a game of scrabble and they lit the fire for us upon request - great service. Friendly staff and easy check in, check out process. Good location. Have recommended to friends and family already.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rejclarke
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

This old hotel has charm and coziness. Our room (#9) had a great view and was spacious. However, the windows were dirty with dirt and cobwebs on the inside, something a valley view room should not have. But we did not bring it to management's attention as we didn't notice it until our last evening. More attention to the dirt in the corners of the bathroom is needed. The common areas are worn but that is what made it charming and so homey. Nothing can beat those old plump sofas in the lounge area for comfort and ambiance, except perhaps adding some rocking chairs to the deck ala Grand Hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

There is nothing nice to say about this hotel other than they gave me free wifi.
Rooms are filthy the bathroom floor tile grout was all stained yellow with urine stains. There were sticky marks everywhere. Scuffs and chips out of the paintwork everywhere. All the common areas are chipped and marked and dirty. My carpet clearly hadn't been hoovered. The mini bar fridge was dirty, surfaces had hairs and dirt on them. When I checked in the receptionist kept answering the phone and taking bookings so I had to wait for ages then she gave me the wrong directions to my room. I was booked on as part of a tour and if it had been for any longer than one night I wouldn't have stayed. Vile.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you want a good room. My view was awful but I imagine there are some nice views bu...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LBriggs
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Dear LBriggs,

Thank you for your feedback and I must say that I am very shocked that you have made all these very negative comments. I personally inspected the room with you and I agree there are minor scuff marks around the room from guest's suitcase damage etc., the stain on the bathroom floor is not from urine but a rust stain. There was also a small finger print mark on the mirror which you pointed out to me.
I then showed you one of our spa fire place rooms which you "seemed" very happy with but from your negative comments I guess you weren't. This room including the spa bathroom has just been recently painted and all timber work re stained.

Our front desk staff were busy on the front desk but still allowed you to call your tour provider later so that you could complain about every aspect of the tour around the mountains that they gave you.

I did personally try to appease you with a complimentary upgrade and free Wi Fi and even after speaking with you the next morning and assisting you with your travel plans you seemed very positive about your stay with us, so I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your very low rating of us is extremely unfair but I know that is the way Trip Advisor operates...most of the time against the accommodation operators.

Roger Sargison
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
0.5 km away
8.6 km away
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Mountain Heritage? Share your experiences!