New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Hotel Gearin
Hotel Gearin
Ranked #20 of 20 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“No kitchen, lounge, wifi or opening windows.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Hotel Gearin is supposedly undergoing renovations so to be fair, I will only rate the parts of the Hotel that are relevant to me. Before arriving, I had requested a single room and been quite clear about this over the phone, however I was booked into a room with two beds instead (thankfully, nobody booked into that second bed). But after a two long train trips, the sight of a bed was all I cared out. It was significantly cheaper anyway so I let that go.
The room contained the two beds, a broken coffee table and some grotty walls. Haven't decided what kind of bodily fluid or otherwise that had run down the wall in the past but made sure I stayed away from it. Someone had also jammed the window shut on purpose so on a hot day/night, I suffered badly.
The bed was terrible and saggy in the middle and by the end of the week I had lots of back pain. On the upside, the room had a sink in it.
The first night I was there, there was a big fight upstairs which resulted in the police being called (I think anyway) and blood all other the bathroom which nobody seemed interested in cleaning up.
There is no kitchen to speak of upstairs so I could not cook my own meals. The whole week I was there nobody cleaned out the kitchen bin so it stank. There is a fridge, a kettle and a microwave and for some reason a toaster in the corridor. But you can only use one at a time since there is only one power point. Has anyone ever thought of getting a power board ? The fridge hardly works so I couldn't drink the milk that I just bought except for one cup of tea. The kitchen was a HUGE MINUS for me.
The toilets often run out of toilet paper and the shower is old and disgusting. There is also very little hot water so I could not have a comfortable shower.
The lack of lounge room and wi fi was something that I could live with but still annoying.
On the plus side, Hotel Gearin has a roof and doors and keeps the bugs away. Also it is open at 7am which is great and is next to the train station. It was nasty but really really cheap (for me anyway) but I would not recommend staying here. The old lady will be lovely once she has been fixed up but not at the moment.

Room Tip: Spend a little bit more and find somewhere else but it you are looking to stay just a night, it woul...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank S B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Parramatta, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

We were really looking forward to enjoying an evening at the Gearin but found the service and standards to be of extremely poor quality and left much earlier than we'd planned. I had a local gulp his wine down, cough and spit it all over the bar and me at about 7pm on a Saturday night. Disgusting! His mates laughed as the guy walked out the door and the staff did or said nothing. There lack of reaction made it appear as this action was out of the ordinary and quite acceptable. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there feeling ill at the thought of someone's spit slowly drying on my clothes. I mentioned the incident to a guy who appeared to be a Manager and had not been present and he simply smiled, turned to another staff member and said 'ah, it must have been so and so'. And that was that. No apology, no can we offer you a complimentary drink, nothing. I'm a pub girl through and through but found the service and standards at the Gearin to be appalling. Such a shame as the hotel is gorgeous and could be a real winner with the right staff. The food is disappointingly below pub average too, although the bistro area is quite nice to sit in.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KPS123

Travellers are raving about these Katoomba hotels

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

We went to the Blue Mountains for the first time so we were really excited about our weekend. That was until we arrived at Hotel Gearin. The hotel check in isn't a check in at all, it's actually a bar. The service is the worst we've ever seen. In the words of the bartender "My bar is more important to me." He actually said that to us. We booked the family room one month in advance only to find out that it had been given to someone else who paid cash so they decided to give us two separate rooms. It took almost an hour for them to arrange the rooms and when we requested a room away from the bar they said they could arrange that. Instead one of the rooms was directly over top of the bar. Very noisy until about 2.30 in the morning on Friday/Saturday night. The other room was next to the highway, and we would wake up to the morning traffic before 6am each morning. Ear plugs are a must at the Gearin hotel! The shared bathrooms were so cold they were almost unusable.

On Saturday we were ready to put the bad experience behind us and enjoy the day trip around the mountains. However, around 3pm we received a phone call from the hotel telling us to move our stuff out of the room immediately. They told us we were to move back to the room we were initially assigned although this was never mentioned to us when we were give the rooms. We ended our day early to resolve the mess at the Gearin. We got to the bar and waited about 15 minutes before anyone acknowledged us. We overheard the manager say that there had been three double bookings. We were extremely upset with the service and the quality of sleep the night before. We asked for a refund at which point the bartender told us "If you want a quiet sleep you don't go to a hotel, you go to a motel". I never knew that, we all learned something that day. In talking to the manager she told us it was WOTIF's fault as that is who we booked through over the internet. The manager told us that the family room was being renovated and that it hadn't been rented out for the last two weeks. We were very upset about the double booking, all the manager could say about the person who gave us the different rooms was "she's just a bartender". We left early in the morning before the pub opened so we weren't sure what to do with our room key so we had to knock on the bar door and give it to the "janitor??". Staff were clueless, the most disgusting service. Other than that, the location is excellent. The price is affordable - if you know what you're paying for. More hostel than hotel. Wifi is only available in the bar.

It's easy to take a reservation. Anyone can just take a reservation. The key is to hold the reservation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Hungryjacq
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

When booking a room and giving out my credit card details as that is what they required at the time of booking.
I found that the next day from my bank that I had fraud on my credit card. I had then called the hotel up and was told that there was no booking that existed under my name (so the person I had spoke to didn't even take my booking but took my credit card pretty easily).
When I asked to speak to the manager about the fraud on my credit card. Reception took down my details and said someone will call you back.
I never got a call back and was very disappointment by the customer service. Will never book there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends