“Tragic- worst customer service for any profession”

Best Western Lakesway Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Forster
Grafton, Australia
“Tragic- worst customer service for any profession”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The management at this hotel were the rudest i have EVER come across. Me, my friend and our very small children (one each - both infants) booked to stay at this hotel as a getaway. We are both single mums, can't really afford to do something like this but we did and the service we got was appalling. We were made to feel like we weren't welcome, especially because we had small children, they weren't going to let my friend into the room even though I had prepaid and notified them a day in advance that she would arrive early which was ok the day before, and that much of an issue the next day that they were going to make her wait outside in the 30 degree heat with an infant for 4 hours till I arrived. This is when I should have requested a refund to stay somewhere else. The bathrobes that were supposed to come with the room were not there till over halfway through our stay and when they were given to us the manager stated that the cleaners wouldn't come near a room like ours with a look of disgust on her face. Now excuse me if i am wrong but little kids don't understand the concept of putting toys back before moving onto the next one. These kids can only just say mummy!!!! Plus we were there to escape the constant pick up routine that we are used to; we knew we would pick the toys up on leaving. She then told us we would have to pay for stains (she was pointing to a VERY small amount of water which I said was water and would guarantee it would dry which it did). There were already several stains in the room also which we knew that the level of rudeness this woman had portrayed we were certain that she would charge us for pre-existing stains, so we took photos of those. Then on check out the male manager seen me walk into the office, turned his back shut the office door and did not come back out. So I left the key and we left. I have never stayed somewhere where I wanted to go home and couldn't wait due to the hotel!! I will never stay with best western again; in fact I will be deterring anyone from staying there. I have since come home and found a charge for $48 on my credit card from best western without a phone call or email stating what for, no receipt NOTHING!! I am pretty sure that is illegal.

Housekeeping mind you was very good, the lady that came in to tidy our room after we had asked repeatedly to management just to have our bin liner changed, was courteous, empathetic and did a very good job.

If I was best western I would keep the housekeeping staff and find new management.

Room Tip: Just don't book here we had the honeymoon suite and I'm sure that's probably meant to be...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Remy_7785

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Stayed in room 3.

Air-con was not working so initially left the large front window and tiny rear window window. Then had the enjoyment of listening to the night check ins and people walking around, so closed the large window. Could not sleep as the room as the room was stuffy (which defeated the purpose of paying $110 for a room to sleep in). (the chap came up and played with the dial for a while trying to get it going, couldn't. I asked where that left me and his reply was to open the window- there was no suggestion of changing rooms though the motel was mostly vacant that night.

Not surprisingly the rooms have a fan which has a control similar to a Russian cold war breaker switch. In any event the fan was too noisy, so I turned it off, but then discovered the noisy fridge....

Room was very clean and appointed with cheap IKEA style austere furniture (the beach veneer type).

TV screen was slightly larger than my small (13 inch laptop) so opted for the laptop on the bed which was then larger (come on guys given the low cost of monitors these days why not pay the extra $50-$100 for the larger screen)

It had reasonable cable programs.

Bathroom was as the rest of the room very clean with bad taste floor tiles. The shower, is OK and the usual silicon rubber in hotel rooms which have seen a refurb minus the bathroom in the lower shower recess joints is holding up well.

Breakfast of bacon and eggs and a pot of coffee - the eggs were cold though the bacon was warm. The toast was hot, buttered and very nice. I do alot of regional travelling and poor rooms usually afford a good breakfast. Not so in this case. The pot of coffee deserves some description given that as I poured it into the cup it looked some reaction was occurring (as if curdled milk had been used but with much smaller clotted milk). It wasnt curdled though but certainly had that appearance. It was weird. This scientific reaction attracted my attention so I plucked up the courage and had a few sips. I was right it wasnt curdled but then it didnt taste like coffee either. More along the lines of possibly a bushels or international roast watered down blend. I decided to stay away from it and made myself a cup of tea leaving the still gurgling so called coffee (that I paid extra for) for the cleaner.

Mattress was comfortable to sleep on but every time I satdown on it for the first time I thought I was going to break a spring (which being of cheap sort will likely occur).

All in all a clear step below the usual Best Western Quality. Everything and I mean everything has been done at the lowest possible price.

However if you want a cheaply appointed room and dont want to sleep then I would definitely stay there.

Cheers

Room Tip: If you have to stay there before you hand over the plastic check out the appliances in the room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Peter M
Brisbane
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed in an executive spa room for 1 night during a stopover on the way from Brisbane to Sydney.
We found the room to be spacious and clean. Only problem that we found is that our hot water was not working. Staff attended to this matter as soon as they were notified and it got fixed straight away.
We had room service for dinner & breakfast and found both meals to be quite nice.
Would definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Shaz_2206
Cessnock, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Usually stay in Taree while I am up that way but decided to try Forster this time. I stayed in one of thier 4 star rooms and it was clean comfortable and well presented although I was in a hurry this time and didnt use anything but the bed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Central Coast NSW
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Great value for money.
Breakfast great, especially the fresh fruit salad.
The type of motel that suits us - small where you can park in front of room so not far to carry gear.
Friendly staff.