Lowest prices for your stay
USD 67
Hotels.com
USD 67
FindHotel
USD 63
Booking.comUSD 71
PricelineUSD 71
eDreamsUSD 71
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 March 2017

An affordable, charming old house, well located but in need of a spruce up. It was great to find a location that wasn't outrageously expensive, but it didn't quite feel 'right'. I guess you get what you pay for. The linen was clean, but the room was so cluttered it felt dirty. Other, noisy guests came to life around 10pm and moved about the corridors or banged about in their rooms until quite late. This was irritating as we could hear everything, cupboards banging, talking etc. Would probably only stay again if I was desperate.
I have rated the service as poor because there was no friendliness upon our arrival. For a small boutique hotel I would have expected a much more open greeting...ours bordered on indifferent. In the morning we just dropped our keys off, we weren't asked if we'd had a nice stay or anything else.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2017

I am a repeat guest at The Charrington. I like the old charm of the hotel and its location convenient to Chatswood and central Sydney. The staff has always been professional. I will include the Charrington as a place to stay should I return to Sydney again.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank donl560
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I booked online, just wanting somewhere relatively close using public transport to where I was working in Willoughby. At the time Sydney hotel rates were through the roof and staying in the city and travelling out was not a good option.

What a lovely surprise.

A room with stained glass windows, a private verandah with a swing seat and a small cast iron table and chairs, another little cove with a small dining table and chairs, a shower with real pressure that was a delight to get under, a microwave, fridge, coffee making facilities, free internet, etc. and a shared kitchen to use. Ten minutes walk to Chatswood station.

I'll be back to stay. Great value.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank KevinDwyer1956
Reviewed 2 February 2017

The room was small and the bathroom was tiny. Furnishings are old fashioned and quaint. For the price, we were happy with our brief stay. The hotel is in a leafy part of Chatswood, in easy reach of public transport.
Beware of the (harmless) yappy dog which launches itself upon you as you walk into the reception lounge. It gave me a huge fright.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jsmith389
Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

It's one of those situations where the photos don't give a true reflection of the real condition of the hotel, which can only be described as poor. The owners really need to invest in a complete renovation as the building lends itself to it and the location is good for a suburban hotel so they won't over capitalize.
It has the feeling more of a back packers/ boarding house at the moment and it's screaming out for a little TLC . I must say we found the staff very pleasant and generally helpful. Some were a little "over" working in the service industry, you know that, "oh what do you want now" reception but unfortunately you get that in a lot of places.
You sort of "get what you pay" for at the moment, with a few short comings. The owner really needs to move the resident dog along and masking the smell of same with Glen 20 pumping into the corridors is not really helpful. "Crisp clean" sheets and new pillows would also improve the experience and some general maintenance on doors, tiling etc. gives a sense of general disrepair. Our little friends running around in the ceiling at night were a little disconcerting,but we didn't have the pleasure of meeting them face to face.
Look we did rate it 2 stars, Charrington did the job for us over the new year weekend, but to say we were delighted would be stretching it. It would need a lot of love and attention to entice us to return.

Date of stay: December 2016