Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Jonathan C
Egham, United Kingdom

A gem of a place

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 17 Jan 2024
We stayed in The Tea Tree bungalow for a few days as part of a recent visit to Tasmania. The owner, Joy, was a pleasure to deal throughout the booking process and when we arrived. The bungalow had a couple of bedrooms, a bathroom with 2 showers, a decent sized sitting room and dining area and a well appointed kitchen. Good location, and Queenstown is a great place to explore the local area from. We went on a Roam Wild trip to Kelly Basin so we could walk to Pillinger (arranged by Joy) and be sure to check out what is going on in the Paragon Theatre when staying with them.
Date of stay: January 2024
0.7 km from Mt Lyell Anchorage
AU$153
    AU$153
0.2 km from Mt Lyell Anchorage
Queen room, a very big room
AU$104
Get rewarded with One Key
0.5 km from Mt Lyell Anchorage
Room service
View more hotels in Queenstown
All reviews comfy couches tea tree really enjoyed our stay here local knowledge accommodation coast paragon west bungalow films
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 May 2023 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. Warm, lovely, clean, and quiet. A must stay in the heart of Queenstown.
There were many highlights, but the historic Paragon Theatre, just a stones throw from our accommodation, was a standout. Offering wine, warm rugs on comfy couches, and fantastic films. (A must-see film showing is 'The Franklin') Perfect before heading out to dinner on a chilly West Coast evening.

Date of stay: May 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Joy Chappell, Owner at Mt Lyell Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2023

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was a pleasure to meet you. We hope to see you here again some time soon.
Best regards
Joy

Reviewed 9 January 2023

12 months before our trip Joy was very generous with her time and local knowledge helping with must dos etc. Joy has a great setup with separate accommodation, all on the same block loving restored. Homey inside with a great bed and shower pressure

Date of stay: October 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2022 via mobile

We stayed in Tea Tree Bungalow. Very clean and quiet. Lovely and warm and very nice showers.
Joy came over on our arrival and was very pleasant.
We were asked if we needed anything when we arrived and I said no not expecting that there would not even be the basic of coffee or salt. Certainly know that I could have phoned and Joy would have brought it over, just mentioning for future visitors so they can request.
Very cute little vege garden.

Date of stay: March 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2021 via mobile

What a lovely, cosy little B&B. And what a lovely welcoming host is Joy!
Really enjoyed our stay here, only a short walk to the empire hotel for dinner, which was equally great. Only slight criticism I would have is.... I wish the breakfast was a little more than cereal and toast. Would definitely stay again, and would recommend to anyone.

Date of stay: September 2021
Reviewed 25 April 2021

Dark room. Dingy lighting. Heavy sheets and blankets. Had to fill the jug via the shower. Hugely overpriced at $180 per night. Insulting "breakfast" consisting of 2 slices of bread, 2 small portions of butter and 2 small portions of jam. "Joy" was anything but. Glad to get away. Will never visit again and will advise others not to.

Room tip: Don't stay here
Date of stay: April 2021
1  Thank PushkinWillow
Joy Chappell, Owner at Mt Lyell Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2021

I must say, I find this review confusing, not least because I have no record of you staying at my property. However, I would like to respond to your comments, just to set a few details straight.
I have 3 rooms which I charge $180 for. All are painted a nice light green colour with 12 ft high white ceilings and white window trims. We have normal ceiling lights and bedside reading lights as well as good lighting and windows in the en-suites.
We don't have blankets on our beds. We do have light cotton sheets, medium weight doonas with very light covers and a light cotton coverlet on the top. If you found these too heavy perhaps you could have removed the coverlet or the doona to be more comfortable. With the electric blanket and the very good and quiet panel heating in the rooms you would have been warm enough to do so.
Perhaps you could have filled the kettle from the basin sink, with the little jug provided?
I have to wonder why you would book a room costing $180 if you are then going to complain about the price. There are plenty of cheaper options nearby.
I'm sorry that the complimentary breakfast provisions weren't to your liking. Perhaps you should have accepted the offer of cereal if the toast, tea & coffee weren't going to be enough for you? With standard portions of butter and jam to go with each piece of bread, the best quality bread we can get, you were quite welcome to ask for more. I am rarely more than 100metres from the property and can always be reached by phone.
I can't speak for my mood that day as I have no idea when, or if, you stayed. Perhaps you arrived after 6pm without letting me know in advance as is mentioned on all booking confirmations, and caught me in the middle of dinner service at our cinema/restaurant?
I am glad you managed to get away safely and if I had any idea who you are I would probably be happy to never accept a booking from you again anyway.
Best of luck with your future bookings.
Cheers