Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Andyrock81
Rockhampton, Australia

Run down but cheap

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 17 Feb 2024
This is the cheapest motel in Queenstown, but is a tired and run down hotel that is in desperate need of a makeover. There is no on site reception, just a key safe to collect your room key. Our room had a toilet that would not stop running and a heater that was unusable as it made a burning rubber smell when turned on. I reported this to management but never received a response. The beds did have electric blankets and the room was spacious. Ok for a night if you are on a tight budget, but would probably stay elsewhere next time.
Date of stay: February 2024
Room Tip: Consider a different hotel unless on a very tight budget
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bar/Lounge
0.5 km from Mountain View Motel
1.2 km from Mountain View Motel
View more hotels in Queenstown
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 March 2023

Check-in involved a hurried conversation outside the locked Reception office. The lady checked my booking on her phone, then punched in a number on a keyboard on the key safe and handed me my key. I wonder how I would have gained entry to my room if she hadn't rocked up when she did.

The room appeared to be clean on the surfaces but had an overpowering stench of chemical air freshener which failed to mask a smell of stale urine. With some effort I managed to open the wooden sash windows, but this made no difference to the stench. Unable to imagine an enjoyable stay, I repacked my car and left the motel without even turning down the bed.

The prices charged by this establishment are not "budget" for the low standard presented here. However, even if the price was more reasonable, I don't recommend this motel.

Room tip: Ask to see the room first, then decide whether you want to stay
Date of stay: March 2023
Reviewed 12 February 2023

Two couples stayed overnight on 9 and 10 February 2023.

It is a large complex of essentially demountables. It also caters to backpackers.

We arrived mid-afternoon. At Reception there was a sign saying that they do a “virtual check-in”, with a mobile number to call to get the combination of the safe that was by the door. Another lady was waiting at reception as well, and she said she had tried the number and couldn’t get through. She had even tried from a public phone. After trying a number of times I eventually got through, but the reception on our end was very bad. I could hardly understand what the lady on the other end was saying and could not get the combination right. She started to get annoyed, raising her voice more and more. I told her that wasn’t helping and to speak more clearly. At that point she lost her temper completely and hung up on me. She called back in a few minutes and asked if I was “now ready to talk”! Eventually I got the keys, as did the other lady.

The room was clean but very basic. The walls must be paper thin - you can hear just about everything from the room(s) beside you - people talking, showering, snoring, etc. The smoke alarm had been removed from the ceiling and was on top of a shelf. I checked if it worked, but it didn’t. We had friends in another unit and they had no smoke alarm at all. I am sure this is in breach of regulations. The internet is available via WiFi, but it is unsecured - no password required. A step at the front door was coming away and really needed to be fixed.

In summary, if you want very basic, clean, low cost accommodation, to just serve as a night-time sleep-over, then Mountain View may suit you, but perhaps be prepared to put up with rudeness and be sure pack your ear plugs!

Date of stay: February 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2022 via mobile

It may not look much from the outside....but it is a little treasurer. Room was a surprise.....it may have been a bit 'retro' but they were clean, tidy, well equipped and good price tag. Even though close to main road you didn't notice the noise. Staff was great as we rang late on a Sunday and they came quite quickly.

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2022

Stayed 2 nights here to do the Rack & Gorge train. First thing we noticed was the bed quilt had stains on it and a threadbare tear and sheets discoloured. No smoke alarm (only the bracket) toaster's push down lever was missing knob, only one of the 2 celing globes working so half the room was dim, a five cent coin still on floor from previous guest (room not vacumed?) stains on carpet. Everything is very dated which we knew by the photos but at $85pn you still expect a certain level of cleanliness and maintenace that should be apparent when room is 'cleaned' between guests. We also were shocked when my husband posted a similar review on google and received a response saying we disrespected staff when we had no interaction with staff whatsoever apart from asking for wifi p/word after checking in, none, we didn't even see them for the 2 days we were there.

Date of stay: August 2022
Reviewed 21 March 2022

Bed bugs! I called them to tell them I was infested with bed bugs and they didn’t want to do a refund. I was never able to sleep, just hitching myself all night long. I even found one bed bug under the sheets. I even send them pictures of my stings. All they for answer is that nobody else complained about it! 🙄

I am probably the first to tell them.

They answered that if I put a bad comment they would reply. It took me two days to let them know…

The reception was closed when I left early in the morning, I had a long day cycling coming on and I advised Jason, the owner of the caravan park, who referred me to that cheap motel. I met him the morning after in a local restaurant. I was stuck in Queenstown because of the bad weather, I had nowhere else to go.

The cellular service is very poor in that area as well as the wifi was not available until I got to Hobart. I am traveling by bicycle, it’s the reason I got there so late.

I gave them the chance to arrange the situation by writing to them before I do any comment on the internet. This is not a way to treat your customers. They should know better. They should give me a refund and get rid of the mattress and sheets. Not a clean place!

Room tip: Ask to see the room first
Date of stay: March 2022