“Unforgettable experience!”

Solway Lass Day Charters
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I are on a road trip from Cairns to Sydney. We decided to explore the Withsunday Islands and after some research we found this marvellous old boat from 1902 offering exactly what we were looking for: some good chilling time with style. Our crew was Captain Gary, Steve, Stewie, Charlotte, Joel and Abby. They have been absolutely amazing in providing the best service with professionalism and competence. We couldn't have been in better hands. We have been really lucky also with the weather that was just gorgeous for all the 3 days. Whitehaven beach was as good as you can imagine, we even swam with some stingrays and the beach and the water are definitely back to their best colors after the cyclone messed up everything. Because of that we couldn't do more than a session of snorkeling but the guys of the crew have been amazing in organizing other activities like walking up the highest peak on whitsunday island to enjoy a breathtaking 360' view on the archipelago. We did also enjoy a couple of long periods of sailing which were absolutely amazing. The food was awesome (thanks Stewie&Charlotte) and the drinks too (thanks Abby). We had a double bed in a little cabin which was more than enough to rest after the day but we stayed outside for the 90% of the time anyway.
After all it has been an awesome experience which I can suggest to anyone.
If you wish to explore some of the best islands in the world and you are not looking for a party catamaran, then Solway Lass it is for you.

1  Thank Emanuele L
"set sail"
"great trip"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Such a great Boat! Got the pick of the bunch with awesome staff, who were willing to offer a conversation with yo in the quiet sailing times.
The food was good and abundant, we had a nice mix of sailing and motoring so nice to have the both.
The cabins were clean , and we had the end one so it as quite roomy. The amenities were clean also.
Where we went to was unforgettable and my only annoyance was the lovely unpredictable Queensland weather, it rained pretty much for 2 days straight! At least we had cover on the boat.

Reviewed 26 February 2017

I joined the Solway Lass Tall Ship to sail the Whit Sundays and it was a pleasant experience. I would not class it as an 'adventure' more so a 'relaxing' trip. We didn't have the winds so we only sailed twice for about 2 hours, beyond anyone's control of course and otherwise the weather was great sunshine everyday. My trip got off to a stressful start as the courtesy bus didn't show up and when I rang them they just told me to make my own way to the ship without apology. Fortunately I didn't have to endure a taxi expense of $20+ as I went back to the hostel I was staying at who arranged to drop me. I arrived just in time for us to motor off and was greeted by a junior crew who intimated I must have made the mistake, quite annoying. By the time I got on board it seemed I was clearly identified by name as the late person delaying everyone, which was most unfair. Only the next day did the Captain kindly apologize saying the fault was theirs. Staff overall were great, welcoming and friendly. Cabins were comfortable though no windows. Food on board was grand, lunches and dinners pretty good. Breakfast was super disappointing more like a free hostel breakfast of uninteresting cereal and toast with jam, no fresh fruit, pastries, eggs or cheese/meats etc. Activities were essentially snorkeling, hanging out at the beach and one short walk to see a lovely view. Snorkeling was average except for the Black Island which was particularly nice. The swing rope into the sea was fun. If you have the money, want a relaxing trip and don't have huge expectations for excitement this is the trip for you.

2  Thank LLollapalooza
Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

Our 3rd trip on the Solway Lass and it never disappoints. Excellent crew, a great mix of passengers and the beautiful Whitsundays combine to create the ideal 3 day trip. The food was exceptional and of course they take you to all the best places including Whitehaven. Cabins are compact but comfortable (including aircon), there are showers on board and you can buy alcohol at the bar, everything else is included in the price. This is not a backpacker party boat, it's fun for all groups and ages.

4  Thank AHBWanderlist
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Had a blast on Solway ! The boat is very pretty, and the cabins are lovely as well, small but comfy. With the tour, you go to Whiteheaven the first morning and then you snorkel around the whitsundays for the rest of the trip. They bring you to a lot of different spot, where you can see turtles, clown fish... or rest on the beach. The food was AMAZING, they had a lot of different dishes, all delicious, and the veggie option were also very good and tasty. You won't starve there, that's for sure ! The staff is also is big part of the adventure : they're funny, helpful, accessible... they're really part of the trip, and will make your adventure even better. Definately recommend Solway !

1  Thank MargotIvanova