Our week at the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo was nice. We decided to pay for the short route using the toll highway from the airport because it was a half hour ride, everyone on the bus pitched in a dollar. The drive and scenery was very beautiful.
The food at the buffet is way better than the ala cartes and they have a lot of variety and theme nights. We had three a la carte reservations and only made it to one and cancelled the other two.
We had a nice room and it wasn't very far from the beach, restaurants or lobby area. The housekeeping was okay. The staff was very friendly and did a great job keeping the grounds clean.
The beach was great and we were always able to find a chair in the shade because there are a lot of palm trees in the area. One rainy day my husband and I decided to go swimming and we had the beach to ourselves. During our trip it rained only one day and the rest of the time only late in the evenings. The only thing about the beach is it isn't that deep.
We did the Whale watching tour booked through the hotel and we had a great time, it was a half day tour. We also went to Las Terrenas to do some shopping and it was very interesting.
We were told by our rep not to drink the tap water but it was okay to brush your teeth with it, this is not the case.
Be aware of the sales people in the Lobby they will not take no for an answer until you are somewhat impolite to them which is not something either of us liked doing.
I have stayed at three Gran Bahias including this one and I would rate this one third on the list. The other two resorts were way better.
Overall we had a nice trip it was great not having to go to work, lying on the beach etc., but we have to say we will not be returning to this Gran Bahia in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au and Odigeo so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic - Samana