We stayed here because of the Holiday Inn reputation. I should have paid more attention to the Trip Advisor reviews.
Our second floor room was large and reasonably clean. There was a small amount of black mould around some of the bath fittings.
The bathroom was dated and in need of renovation; chipped and worn bath and chipped laminate.
The pool was a welcome relief after a hot day walking in majestic Kakadu. The pool was small, but it was in proportion to the lovely gardens and water feature in that area of the hotel.
We got the giggles in the restaurant because the service was so poor. The food however was up to standard. I had a great steak and my wife loved her barramundi. The steak was $37 which might seem expensive, but remember everything has to be trucked in from Darwin.
This is a strange place; it tries hard, but doesn’t make it. eg we rang for room service at 5.45pm to order from the 10am to 6pm menu to be told that that we were too late. That menu had closed for the day. We tried to order from the 6pm on menu, but were told to call back after 6pm. That is not a Holiday Inn level of service. We ate a great meal at the Jabiru Sports Club that night.
We stayed four nights and had breakfast four times. We were on holiday so decided to laugh about it rather than talk to the manager when we realised that the guy giving us the most grief was probably a manager. He really should only be in hospitality if he wants to be in that industry. People on holiday want a friendly greeting at breakfast. We don’t want Mr Grumpy telling us how reception has stuffed up our breakfast payment, again. You would imagine that by the second or third morning they would have worked it out and waved us through rather than make us stand there while it is sorted. The other funny thing was that the labels on the hot food containers only matched the contents on the last morning. It was a lottery on what I would find when opening the lid: it says baked beans, but its scrambled egg! Having said all that the breakfast food was tasty and plentiful.
The external walkways and stairs to the pool were always dirty and in need of sweeping. It looked like leaves and dead bugs that had been there for a while. A used cotton bud sat on a walkway for two days.
There is a good laundry with free laundry powder. The cost is reasonable at $3 for the washing machine and $3 for the dryer. We washed 4 days’ worth of clothing for two people for $6, a bargain. Unfortunately when emptying the dryer I dropped a clean shirt on the floor between the dryer and washing machine, right onto what seemed to be a pool of oil and dirty yellow water. Again, they try hard, but just don’t seem to make it. Next time we will stay at Cooinda.
The hotel is within walking distance of a bakery that does pies, ckaes and fresh sandwiches. Close by is a BP. A supermarket and Westpac a also a short walk. The hotel has a Thrifty agency. The Thrifty people (Peter, Shannon and Jo) were very helpful. We hired a 4WD for the day to get through the water crossings on the way to Ubirr.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the marble foyer to the air-conditioned guest rooms, Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel is a cool retreat in the midst of Kakadu National Park s wilderness. This uniquely shaped hotel, just 2 hours drive from Darwin, is the ideal base to explore Ubirr and Nourlangie rock art galleries and view the towering sandstone escarpment of Arnhem Land. The hotel offers 110 guest rooms making the shape of a crocodile which overlook's a central shaded courtyard and swimming pool. Award winning Escarpment Restaurant offers tastes of Kakadu with both buffet and a la carte options available. Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel also has an Indigenous art gallery showcasing works from the Kakadu and Arnhem region. Guests have access to a 9-hole golf course, Olympic-size pool, and tennis courts at neighbouring Jabiru Township. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gagudju Crocodile Holiday Hotel Kakadu National Park
- Holiday Inn Gagudju Crocodile
- Gagudju Crocodile Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Kakadu National Park
- Kakadu National Park Holiday Inn