“Very good hotel restaurant.”
Review of Oceano

Oceano
Ranked #134 of 213 Restaurants in Nelson
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Whether you're looking to fuel up with a delicious breakfast at our Oceano Restaurant or wanting to quench your thirst at the Port o' Call Bar after a big day exploring New Zealand's sunshine capital, we'll have something to suit your needs. For dinner Rutherford Hotel Nelson has two highly regarded restaurants onsite, with Oceano offering an a la carte dinner menu, and Miyazu serving Japanese cuisine created using the freshest New Zealand produce. Before heading out for the day enjoy a relaxed breakfast soaking up the early morning sun at Oceano Restaurant. For evening dining, Oceano truly captures the essence of Nelson offering the freshest produce cooked to perfection, when in season select a crayfish from our live tank and have it cooked to your liking, the theatre kitchen
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Was here with a group on a Sunday night and we were staying in the hotel so decided to eat in. Was surprised we were the only ones here. However, the service was superb, very knowledgable a dn friendly staff. All of us had differnet dishes and there were no complaints. Food was cooked perfectly, nicely presented, and tasted great.

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

I attended Oceano Restaurant for family occasions. There was quite a large group of us. The restaurant is spacious, so it looked like a good choice for so many people. The food is expensive, so we expect it to be very good. I chose the pasta which was as described, and acceptable. Not great.
Two people at my table chose bouillabaisse which arrived at the table tepid with only four pieces of seafood in it. They both queried the temperature and the wait staff took it away and it was remade. When it came back it had a generous amount of seafood in it, but was still coollish. Another person at our table ordered seafood chowder, which looked nice, but there was NO seafood I it. She asked the waiter, who went away to the kitchen, returned and took it away. When it returned it also had good amount of seafood in it. As a result of these things, we did not eat together as a group. This is not acceptable in any restaurant. I do not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank TirelessWorker
Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Amazing food. A great menu with something for everyone. This is a formal restaurant, yet with a friendly and casual approach. Good wine list and willing staff.

AlexanderSiebentritt, Manager at Oceano, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2016

Dear nigeltrewhitt,

thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at Oceano Panorama Restaurant.
Much thought has gone into selected predominately local ingredients for our chefs to prepare. Our wine list has been put together with the aim to promote local wines as well as, what we believe is some of the best New Zealand has to offer.

I will gladly share your comments with our team.

Once again, thank you very much for choosing to dine with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards

The team at Oceano Panorama Restaurant.

Reviewed 7 August 2016

Rushed service, lack of knowledge of wine and menu. Very over priced for seafood that was not fresh. Presentation left a lot to be desired, we sat at a table that was not secured properly. We decided to leave before the main which we cancelled and to top off the very short evening were charged a surcharge for using our credit card!! We will never go back and would never recommend

2  Thank gandgbohm
AlexanderSiebentritt, Manager at Oceano, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2016

Dear gandgbohm,

thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review.
I am sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy your evening. We do believe that our prices are set to reflect the quality of food and we generally have good comments from all of our diners, taken your comments in consideration I have spoken with our kitchen team to contentiously ensure to produce the quality of food that we stand for.

After speaking with our front of house team, I am certain that we could have fixed the table for you if offered help was accepted. None the less our maintenance team has since gone through the tables to ensure they are "secured".

In 2012 we have decided to apply a 1.5% convenience fee to credit card transactions, however cash and eftpos payments are exempt from this fee.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards

The team at Oceano Panorama Restaurant

Reviewed 18 May 2016

My partner and I went to dine in Oceano. I had not really heard much about it and now can't understand why! One of Nelson's little secrets that needs to be shared. The atmosphere was quiet and intimate, we sat near the windows which look out onto the cathedral. The beverage selection was impressive, my partner likes a whiskey now and again and he was spoiled for choice.
The food was 5 star, I had the fish (snapper - my fave) and my partner had a steak. The chefs did both to perfection. Although it felt like fine dining the prices were very affordable. I only wish I had saved room for dessert.

AlexanderSiebentritt, Manager at Oceano, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2016

Dear Megan P,

thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted to read how much you and your partner enjoyed our fair.

Much thought has gone into our wine and beverage list with a focus on some very special sinlge malts in our Port O' Call Bar and a diverse selection of New Zealand wines and some internationals.

I have gladly shared your encouraging feedback with our teams in Oceano Panorama-Restaurant.

Once again, thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best regards