Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Fri, 24 May
Hotels.com
Fully refundable before Sat, 25 May
Fully refundable before Sat, 25 May
Suzanne M
Adelaide, Australia

the PERFECT hotel in Portland at MAC hotel - even though adverts call it "Quality hotel Bentinck"

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Mar 2023
without doubt this is the BEST place to stay in Portland AND the BEST place for meals. Locals all call it the MAC hotel. I nearly could not find it as I was looking for a " hotel Bentinck". Thank goodness the taxi driver - excellent and well informed and originally from Scotland - was well aware of the correct place I had prebooked after I described what I had read about the said hotel. On day two I realised I had not packed a warm enough cardigan or jumper. A well informed taxi driver found me a lovely shop where I was able to find a charming soft jumper and a similarly soft and warm cardigan. The same taxi driver took me on a tour of Portland at my request and his knowledge of Portland was extensive. I was able to visit the great annual display of Dahlias on the Saturday and the Sunday - .created by the Portland Dahlia society. It was the best Dahlia show I have ever attended in Australia - very well run in an airy big hall with a sale of dahlia flower stems in bloom and potted dahlias for sale. My room at the MAC hotel was gorgeous with sea views and one wall of bluestone in both bedroom and bathroom. Restaurant was full every night and no wonder - food and service perfect in every way. Michael in the restaurant was excellent - with good advice and a great ambassador for Portland. Lovely housekeeping staff at the MAC were very kind, professional and pleasant and discreetly kept my room spotless - every time I returned to the MAC I found my room perfect. I had plenty of hanging space for clothing. Bed was perfect as was the temperature in my room. very nice writing paper and envelopes in a drawer in my room. Also well stocked fridge and lovely toiletries in bathroom. I looked around the town during several walks and MAC hotel was clearly the STAR venue - coupled with good advice from the front desk and the two well informed taxi drivers - so I was able to discover far more than if I had not been able to hear their wisdom and their advice
Date of stay: March 2023
Room Tip: Room tip: just tell the driver that you want the MAC Hotel - that is what all the locals call it ...
Trip type: Travelled solo
No prepayment needed
  • Vio.com
0.9 km from Quality Hotel Bentinck
View more hotels in Portland
All reviews no lift third floor historic hotel perfect in every way bed was very comfortable room was large stayed nights place to stay luggage accommodation bluestone mac characters era victorian bay seafront
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 February 2023

so accommodating the staff were very helpful and approachable. My dates were confused on my behalf but not once was it an issue. The accommodation was comfortable and the staff made the experience great. The food was average but all in all great stay

Date of stay: February 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2023

My wife and I were recently in Portland, Victoria Australia. The Quality Hotel is three floors and does not have an elevator. My wife has a very hard time with steps and they had put us on the third floor. I asked for a first floor room and they said they did not have one left. A manager near the front desk told the desk clerk the Presidential Suite was available. That sounded great, but it was twice the rate. She said give it to him at the standard rate. That was Great! She did not have to do that, it was around 7:00 PM so it probably would not have rented but to give it to us at the standard rate was a really nice gesture and one that was really appreciated. The room lived up to the name. The woodwork was beautiful, the furnishings exquisite, the bathroom had a wonderful huge tub. I would highly recommend this place just for this jester alone.

Date of stay: October 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2022

Several excellent features: first all staff were extremely friendly and made us both feel very welcome. Second the room was both very comfortable and very tastefully appointed. It was large and spacious and the king-size bed was most comfortable. Menu for evening meals was broad-ranging and very generous portions when meals arrived. My scotch fillet steak was most tasty and melted in my mouth.
Overnight costs included free drinks and free continental breakfast, making it extremely good value indeed.

Room tip: All good!
Date of stay: November 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2022

We were lucky to be entertained for a late lunch at Quality hotel at Bentinck Street, Portland. Seeing the interior I could imagine the early Victorian lifestyle in Portland where the city would have been an important centre of Victorian migration. Pub was very impressive and reflected the old colonial era. “Rib Eye fillet steak” we ordered was extremely tender, tasty and done to perfection. We were extremely happy with our dining experience.

Date of stay: September 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2022

Mac's Hotel/Hotel Bentinck is a beautiful historic pub, located near the waterfront and a very short walk to the main street.
The rooms were spacious and full of character, furnished to suit the feel of the hotel.
The bed was very comfortable, shower was fine and the room was large enough to feel comfortable to spend a night in if you have had a long day.
There is no lift, so it is a bit of a pain if you have a lot of luggage.
The restaurant downstairs in the hotel had an extensive menu and was very well patronized however was a little on the expensive side with both food and drink. There are several other options for dining or a drink nearby.

The