All reviews our tour guide fraser island trip palace adventures champagne pools great group of people indian head wheel driving eli creek greyhound bus awesome trip great tour free computers to use rainbow beach own bathroom camping site common room air con
Reviewed 27 June 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have just got back from our Fraser Island tour. Upon arrival at the palace hostel where we stayed before the trip, we were made to feel welcome at arrival and then engaged in a meeting with John about the upcoming tour. John was friendly and reassuring!

The next day we were met by our tour guide Chris (Greeny), he was fab. He kept our tour lighthearted, fun and interesting...I would thoroughly recommend this trip to anyone interested and couldn't fault it if I tried!

We then stayed at the palace hostel again the night after the tour ended and were impressed once more. The staff couldn't have been more helpful; especially Matt who sat down with us to help arrange the rest of our trip even though he wasn't meant to be working and then even took us for a burger...who could ask for more?!

Reviewed 27 June 2016 via mobile

We stayed in this hostel as two nights were included with our 3d/2n Fraser Island tour. As we stayed for free I can't really make any complaints; we could use the kitchen, use the cinema (great when you come back knackered from the tour) and shower.

The tour was amazing! It's such a privelidge to get to go to Fraser Island, and especially to get to drive 4x4s around. The three days are jam packed with activities and you get to see some incredible lakes, wildlife and other things. We went in the middle of winter so it was a bit cold but the benefit was the lack of people as we'd heard the island can be packed over summer. We didn't experience any traffic or ever come across too many tourists.

Our tour guide John was really good; he grew up in the area and kept dishing out lots of handy little facts. He's full of great stories so quiz him a lot. The campsite was basic but the respect given to the island's natural beauty and world heritage status was admirable and obviously you have to be careful about the impact you make.

Overall it was great value and an amazing experience. We saw several whales and dingoes and the shipwreck was awesome. We made some great friends too. 10/10 recommend!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2016

The amount of bad reviews this trip has is completely unwarranted - don't listen to them, everyone I did my trip with absolutely loved it so go and do it!

The 4x4 driving is one of the funnest things I've done in Australia. The cars are absolute beasts and it was so much fun driving on the off road terrain and speeding along the beach. Tony our tour guide was an absolute hero, a really chilled funny guy who was super helpful and informative.

The campsite is basic but what do you expect from camping? If you're not a princess then you should be able to manage two days sleeping in a tent. There isn't a shower but during the day you swim in plenty of fresh pure water which suffices. The campsite helps the group gel as you all interact a lot due to being so close to everyone. This is something I enjoyed, it is very much a group tour rather than an individual one.

The hostel itself matches up to most of the other hostels I've stayed at in Australia. Not a fan of the plastic pillows but staff, amenities and everything else OK.

Room tip: Smaller rooms better
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2016

We booked our Fraser Island tour through Greyhound with Palace. 3 day 2 night stay on Fraser Island with 2 nights included at Palace Hostel in Hervey Bay, 1 night before our tour and 1 night after.

This was the best tour I have been on in Australia. The Palace staff were all lovely, helpful and a good laugh. The hostel is clean, spacious, includes a movie room and free wifi.

Our Fraser Island tour was fantastic, our tour guide Syd was a character and he had great knowledge about the island. The camp site was a camp site! Loads of tents, kitchen space, large tables with benches and situated right next to the beach! Unfortunately Lake Wabby was closed when we were there but we did visit all the other lakes and all the other stops. The cars were also in good condition.

On our trip we had 4 cars, totalling around 33 people. This was a good sized group and I imagine the larger groups can be a bit overcrowded.

Overall, I think this tour was brilliant and well organised and I would definitely recommend Palace to anyone else wanting to visit Fraser Island.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank newi94
Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

Fraser Island was beautiful but our tour guide was unmotivated and made fun of us. It's not worth the price. There are cheeper possibilities to get around on Fraser. At the Campingside there were not enough mats for everyone and also food isn't included in this tour. So I'm asking myself for what I paid that high amount of money to be honest.

1  Thank Marlene K