“Lovely apartment and great hosts”

Kaikoura Apartments
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Kaikoura
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Highly recommend this place. We took apartment 6, which had a more restricted view of the beach. Nonetheless, it is a lovely apartment: spacious, well equipped, tastefully decorated and very new. The kitchen has everything you need to cook. An extra bed was placed in the living room to accommodate 5 of us. No issues with the wifi connection and the laundry facilities inside the apartment. As noted by other reviewers, Waves is only a minute’s walk to Dolphins Encounter office and to White Morph restaurant. A couple of other restaurants are further down. The apartment does not have a bathtub but there is an outdoor hot tub in the premises, which fitted all 5 of us comfortably.

Liz was very helpful & prompt with all email enquiries. Liz and Damer went out of their way to accommodate to our needs and were the most friendly and helpful hosts out of our whole stay in NZ South island. Although what we needed had been communicated to them a couple of months back, they remembered what we needed upon our arrival. They were seriously eco conscious and recyclable materials were sorted into different bins in the premises. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Reviewed 23 December 2012

My husband and I and our two sons stayed in Apartment 12. It was lovely and very well equipped. We were within easy walking distance of town and the whale and dolphin watch. Liz and Damer could not have been nicer or more accommodating. They joked with our sons, gave us extra Internet coupons, suggested dinner spots and Damer drove us all the way to ChCh to catch an early flight. We left loving Kaikoura and knowing that we had friends at Waves. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Laurie S
Reviewed 21 December 2012

This has got to be the best accommodation in Kaikoura! The owners are extremely friendly, helpful and fun to talk to, and the apartments themselves are magnificent.

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment for two nights, with great views from the balcony out to the ocean and the mountains beyond. The apartment itself was spacious, clean, light and well-proportioned. There were two bathrooms (with great showers), so there was never too much drama getting ready in the morning.

The apartments are located in a quiet area of town, just down the road from the main shops. It's also right next to the White Morph restaurant, so you can go out for a great meal overlooking the ocean, or organise your own (in the well-equipped and spacious kitchen), and enjoy it on your own veranda. Perfect!

Reviewed 20 December 2012

REALLY nice place. If your budget will stretch it is well worth the extra $$$. Nice furniture, kitchen utensils and crockery, comfortable beds, well arranged bathroom with lovely cupboards and shower. Plenty of space to put luggage. View from balcony was great – mountains and sea. Table and chairs on balcony to watch the world go by. Easy walk into Kaikoura. Dolphin watch place is a 3 minute walk away. Under apartment garage area. LOTS of information in folder, ordered alphabetically, this was my kind of place !!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Apartment is great and clean. Ideal for my family of 5. Apartment had everything I asked for. Liz was fabulous when we arrived and she showed us where things are kept. However, I totally forgot that I was booked in for 2 nights and when we arrived, I informed Liz that we would only be there for a night. She was gracious and understanding and amended the booking for a night's stay. Not long after while we were unpacking our personal belongings, we were interrupted by Liz's husband, Damer. He asked my wife who answered the door, "I would like to see the man!" and when I came to the door, first thing he did was that accusatory tone and that finger wagging! He made us feel really small for the oversight and treated us like 2nd class citizens and lectured us at the door. I mean WTF! Come on, there's a better way to do this. After reading all your comments and my personal experience, this chap made our stay here forgettable and regrettable.

5  Thank Kennethgemplus
WavesKaikoura, Owner at Kaikoura Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

This is a simple misunderstanding that needs to heard from the perspective of the management. As these guests have stated, they were surprised to see on their 'check in' form that they were booked in for 2 nights and asked to cancel the second night which I did. I was however a little perplexed re the supposed error on my part so did some investigating amongst our emails where I discovered the email from the guests in response to our original confirmation, requesting to stay a second night. MYSTERY SOLVED. I printed out the email and asked Damer (as I was busy) to take this to show the guests to clarify the situation for them. The wife answered the door and said that her husband was in the shower. Damer would happily have left the correspondence but was asked to wait for 'the husband'. Damer does not recall using an accusatory tone (it is not his manner) and most certainly did not wag his finger. Out intention was only to clarify the situation for the guests. We regret any miscommunication and bad feelings.