“Great experience”

Air Kaikoura Aero Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing Whale Flights / Spectacular Scenic Flights / Charter Flights / Pilot a Plane & Flight Training Experiences Air Kaikoura is Kaikoura's longest running aerial operator. We have been operating scenic flights and flight training for 30 years. Our spectacular whale flights give you the chance to see the mighty sperm whale, plus dusky dolphins, whilst taking in some of the most stunning scenery New Zealand has to offer. We have an excellent success rate and we’re really honest about your chances each day. Have you ever wanted to fly? We also offer pilot training beginning with a 25 minute trial flight, where you get hands on experience in our 2 seater aircraft, ZK-TUG, alongside a qualified flight instructor. You can even complete a full Private or Commercial Pilot Licence with us. With three commercial aircraft, private charter day trips to Nelson, Golden Bay, Mt Cook, Wellington are all possible too. We're a non profit community organisation - thank you for your support!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

It was really lovely experience, we saw two Whales super nice. Normally I'm afraid to fly in the small plane, expecialy for the altitude, but I didn't realize in 2sec I was flying, without any fear. Wanderful

All reviews
"recommend this trip"
"beautiful scenery"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Went last year in February straight after the earthquakes. Shannon was a great pilot and we were able to see the beauty of Kaikoura even though the natural disaster had destroyed so much. Would definitely go back when we head up next. The price was really cheap for the two of us to go up and for one person to co-fly the plane.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

I just wanted to try my hand at flying a plane. At a cost of $120 I thought this was great value for half an hour. From the go the instructor asked if I wanted to taxi the plane to the runway, then did I want to do the take off, do you want to try a turn, then tighter turns, then I descend the plane through the hills and brought it back to land.. The instructor offered clear detailed instructions at each stage. Although you could feel the pilot's steadying hand on the controls at all times I thought that this was great experience. I made the reservation through the I-site office in Kaikoura.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

The Aero Club offer excellent whale flights - this was taken up when Whalewatch were unable to sail - Murray was our pilot and he worked hard to get us brilliant views of spermicide whales and dusky dolphins, as well as the stunning Kaikoura coastline!
Really excellent and very highly recommended!

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 March 2018

After our whale-watching boat trip was cancelled due to heavy seas, we rebooked for a late afternoon whale-watching flight. Before our flight, a pilot advised us that whales had not been spotted since early afternoon, due to the high sea state. He offered to rebook us for a flight the next day, but since this was our last day in Kaikoura, we opted to still go up. Our pilot, Jack, was wonderful and very competent. The whales eluded us, but we did see a handful of dolphin, and Jack took us on a flight around the peninsula. The views of the area, the sea, and the mountains in the distance were beautiful and, for us, worth the cost of the flight to see this special part of New Zealand from the air. Thank you for a wonderful experience!