All reviews log cabin across the road glow worm dell beach front farm animals powered site one night short walk to the beach the kitchen glowworm dell beachfront accommodation camper van south island great spot watching the sunset cooking facilities laundry room
Reviewed 29 March 2018

In order to get to the beach, we could not walk out of our unit onto the beach. We had a 3-4 minute walk down a path to get to the beach. There was no ocean view from our unit. The room was adequate and the bed was comfortable enough. In the end, we got what we paid for as the rates were very reasonable.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Spent 1 night in spa beachfront chalet. Walked out the door, down a short path straight onto the beach. The spa was quite large, the bed was upstairs in a loft area. My worry was having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and navigating the stairs. Apart from that, bed was comfortable, and chalet was clean, neat & tidy. Highly recommend.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank cenobite2018
Reviewed 14 March 2018

My partner and I stayed for a night at Hokitika during our South Island road trip in February 2018, and we chose Shining Star Beachfront Accommodation due to its proximity to the Glow Worm Dell. We arrived at 5.30pm (3 hours before the reception closed) and were attended to by a cheerful staff who helpfully answered all our questions about the area. We were also offered a complimentary bottle of milk and the free parking was conveniently located right outside our room.

We had booked the Queen Studio and it was a quaint log cabin which we found roomy, comfortable and clean. It had everything we needed and we especially liked that it came with a kitchenette. The bathroom was adequately sized and the shower head dispensed a wonderful strong spray. There was no air-conditioning although the room was more than equipped to keep us warm with the heated bathroom, bedroom, and bed! However, as it was summer, we didn't require those and my partner and I opened the window a crack so that the room did not get stuffy. The WiFi was spotty but we didn't have much use for it and we were knocked out on the comfy bed that night despite a raging storm.

The accommodation was literally across the highway from the Glow Worm Dell. Although it was pitch-black when we made the 5 minute walk there at 10pm, it didn't feel unsafe. The hotel also had a private footpath to the beach and it was a 5 minute drive to the town center. The variety of animals in the field across from our cabin was a welcomed surprise!

Overall, my partner and I were happy with Shining Star Beachfront Accommodation and we would recommend it as a place to stay in Hokitika.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2018

This would have to rate as one of the most disappointing places we have ever stayed. We stayed for just the one night. You are greeted by a strange smell as soon as you entered the unit and it’s just gets worse. Everything was so dated, the TV cabinet must have been at least 30 years old the bed cover had a rip in it not to mention the carpet was parting at the seams and lifting. The bed was so very hard. I was given a wifi code, I give up on that after a very short space of time because it was so slow. In order to plug in my Laptop I had to pull out the small office table only to discover the plug was covered in thick dust. Ok some of these gripes might seem a bit over the top and if I was only paying $95.00 a night I wouldn’t have given a second thought, but we were charged $195.00 a night. On the bright side the Heat pump worked well and the location of our Beachfront unit was lovely.

2  Thank traveller35302
Reviewed 19 February 2018

Just about see the sea from your decking and a two minites walk to the beach. Located about 5 minute drive (30min walking) from the town the location is nice and quiet and the log type cabins very comfy and well appointed. The beds a little hard but ok, sheets and towels are good. Nice and clean and well serviced during your stay.
Could have stayed longer and definitely would book again, great for kids.

Room tip: 5,6,7,8,9 all good
Date of stay: February 2018