“Great Afternoon Glow-worm cave rafting!!!”

Wild West Adventure Day Tours
Ranked #7 of 20 things to do in Greymouth
Melbourne
“Great Afternoon Glow-worm cave rafting!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

We had a great experience on our tour! It was small group... Felt like you, could do as much or as little as you wanted with out it being and issue, could really go at your own pace!!! Staff all very friendly had helpful!

Visited January 2011
OldandGreyontop, Owner at Wild West Adventure Day Tours, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Thanks for the review Sarah we appreciate you choosing us.

• Czech first
Austria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Black Water Rafting - Disapointing and a ripoff!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

We had quite a few tours on our trip in New Zealand but this one was the only real disappointment! They are very friendly, no doubt about that. But the black water rafting is anything less then exiting, let alone interesting. First you drive 40 minutes by bus in the wetsuit. Then you do the "nature walk" which means the group stumbles down to the river through the forest. Then you walk UP the creek that you take the tube down. Then you tube down, the longest part is 30 meters where you do not have to carry it - this was in spring with lots of water. After about a kilometer you enter the "cave".
Well, it is NOT a cave, it is a MINING tunnel built for a water run. It is 1km long but you only walk UPstream for 300 meters. It is straight, no turns. You can even see the light at the end of the tunnel-litteraly. Then you get hot chocolate and a bar. To be sure you are standing in cold water while doing this! Then you tube all the 300 meters out of there, WOW :) Yes there are glow worms. Then you can ponder about this for 40 minutes on the drive back. JUST FORGET IT!

1 Thank MartinVacation
OldandGreyontop, owner at Wild West Adventure Day Tours, responded to this review, 19 November 2009
I'm sorry you didnt enjoy your tubing trip with us. As we have a few different types of trips we try hard to ensure that people have booked themselves onto a trip that they will enjoy, but sometimes people book onto something that doesnt suit them. To to this end your guide gives a description of the trip before taking you out. The idea is that if you then feel it is not what you had in mind then you can opt out without any cost to you. We want to have happy people and really try not to take people on trips they will not enjoy so everyone please help us to give you the best advice as to what will suit you by telling us what is important to you on a trip. We have a few different tours so we dont have to sell you onto a particular trip and will give you honest advice.
It's great taking people out to enjoy NZ's outdoors because we enjoy having happy people leave us after a tour, unhappy people are a downer for us, so we want to do everything we can to give you a great activity that suits you. If we cannot match you up with the right activity we will say so and even recommend another business to you.
London
“I wasnt sure what I was capable of but these guys took me to an amazing place with the just the right amount of adventur”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

I heard that this company in Greymouth provided some different tours suitable for various abilities and since I wasnt sure what I was capable of managing I went and asked them for some advice. They convinced me to do an inflatable kayak trip. I was a bit concerned about it as I have never done this before but I decided to give it a go as it was a nice day. They gave me lots of gear to keep us warm (which I was worried about as well) and everything else needed. After a bumpy ride through rain forest and over a mountain trail we ended up in an alpine valley with some great views.
We went in two person inflatable kayaks that were surpisingly stable. After teaching us how to paddle and what to do if we fell out we started off with some flat water to get used to how to paddle. The guides went with us and told us where to go as we proceeded down the river. After about 15 minutes we could choose to go down a section of river that had some more rapids if we wanted. This was a real blast with waves coming over us in places. The guide was right beside us in his own boat telling us what to do so me and Jessica (the girl in my kayak with me) soon got the hang of it and we did all the rest of the river where there were white water rapids. It was so much fun. Part way down we went through a beautiful canyon with walls covered in moss. I've never seen anything like it with the water falls coming down. We stopped and had photos taken with us under a waterfall.
After the trip they gave us a spa with a glass of wine which was real nice and a voucher that had some discounts on it.
This was a highlight of my trip and I'm still amazed I did it

You girls did really well. Being on holiday can be about learning new skills and achieving things you never thought you could do and these did achieved that. It was a privelege to meet you both.
ISRAEL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“waist of money and time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

We loved everything we have done in New Zealand and all the guided tours done there.
But this was a real disapontment. There is no rafting as the water is 10 cm high.
The warms inside thae cave are buitifull, but you can just walk there and see by yourself.
No need to pay 150 NZD per person, drive an hour to each direcion for "black water rafting", when there is no rafting! they put us on the tubes, but the tubes were not moving, so we had to walk!!
Dont go there.

Sorry you struck a time when were having a drought! It is fairly unusual as we are in a rainforest area. Thanks for your comments as it helps us understand what we do well and what we need to improve on. It looks as if we need to improve on making sure people understand that there is some river canyon walking if the river is very low so we will work on that. Just for accuracy, the drive time averages 42 minutes each way.
Melbourne, Australia
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 209 helpful votes
“A rip off, tour details changed without notice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

Let me start by saying that we did not take the Dragon's Cave Tour but booked a 4x4 trip with the same company - Wildwest Adventures in Greymouth.

We booked this on the basis of the details on the company website and details in a number of NZ tour brochures. As we had our kids, aged 6 and 8, with us I was very keen to check the details of the trip and ensure that the tour would be suitable for them. As such I exchanged emails with the owner, Paul, and asked specific questions about the tour.

Reassured, we booked the trip. Sadly it was a complete and utter waste of time. We were taken on a completely different trip with no consultation at all. There were no river crossings, no glow worm caves, no tunnel drives, no rainforest walk, no gold maze, no gemstone panning, no pajero/landcruiser or support vehicle.

We had a 70 year old guide in a vehicle of roughly the same age. The guide was a single man, never married and admitted he wasn't keen on kids. The vehicle we went in had no rear seatbelts so our children were unsafe in the back for the 40 min drive out of Greymouth. The rear doors would not open from the insider. The heater was broken on hot. The tour was nothing short of awful and completely unsuitable for children. Our 6 year old son was left in tears and our 8 year old was bored senseless.

The 4x4 offroad driving was a complete rip off. Nothing we asked to do was provided and eventually we asked to return 3 hours in.

I immediately complained and the owner initially insisted I was at fault and that I had booked the wrong trip. After checking my emails and booking he eventually backtracked and agreed "there was some confusion". He then tried to defend his actions by saying he had discussed it with me - a blatant lie.

He eventually accepted that they chose to take us on a different tour and refunded less than half the cost of the tour but refuses to offer a full refund. Quite why we should pay anything for being taken on a very poor trip is beyond me. I am currently discussing possible further action with the NZ Commerce Commission and Qualmark.

The attitude of this company is appalling. Dated and unsafe equipment. Shocking staff and terrible customer service. Reading other reviews it would seem that I am not the only one to suffer problems.

Avoid at all costs.

3 Thank Haggis_Supper
OldandGreyontop, owner at Wild West Adventure Day Tours, responded to this review, 29 April 2009
Hi Everyone, I have been taking people out on trips and running this tourism business now for 24 years. It has been a great time and I have met and made friends with some lovely people from all over the world. It has been a priviledge to meet them all and in some cases help people do activities they never thought they could achieve.
But every three or four years I run into some-one whom it is a challenge to please. We try and do a great job, we want people to have an experience of a lifetime with us and we want them to leave us keen to tell others what a great time they had. Ninety nine percent of the time this happens and we wouldnt have survived as a business so long if this wasnt true. We tried to give this family a trip that would suit them and both myself and another staff member on two different days did spent quite a bit of time before the trip explaining to the parents that the trip they had originally booked would not suit young children but we could do something else instead. Which we did, as discussed. We thought we were going out of our way to do the best for them but sadly it appears that I was wrong.
It is correct that the vehicle was an older one, thats because a parent wanted to do some 4x4 driving and we have some older vehicles just for this purpose. It means that if you put a dent or scratch on the vehicle (as is likely on rough 4x4 tracks) we are not going to worry about it and charge you to get them repaired. We think it is unreasonable to take people out driving in newer vehicles and then charge you when you scratch it. But having said that, all our vehicles have seat belts and are registered as passenger service vehicles which have to pass rigorous safety checks, including the one that went out on this trip.
I dont agree that I was unreasonable, I gave the family a discount off the original price as I know it is expensive for families to travel and then when they complained I refunded half their money even though we all thought we had done the right thing for them.
I welcome everyone to give us feedback as it helps us understand better if we are meeting your expectations and if we need to make changes so I do thank the family for taking the trouble to do that.