All reviews champagne room la scarpetta heritage listed building leather furniture private courtyard separate shower hot water included breakfast other guests location is great the main street close to town glass of wine would stay again wood fire bed was comfortable spa bath
Reviewed 24 December 2009

Booked for two nights through the local tourist information office. On arrival the room was compact, dark and uninviting. Still the prospect of the outside verandah would compensate. Not really, it was filthy. I accept that in the country things are not pristine, but the dust, dead animal life and cigarette butts had been on the verandah for months. The only reason we saw the debris was it was daylight, at night the verandah was in total darkness with the only light fitting having ceased to work some considerable time ago. In the room we could only move one at a time, there was so lttle room. Siurely in a country and area suffering water shortages there would be a plug for the sink to stop water simply washing away. No plug. Same with the advertised wi-fi. Sometimes it worked but mostly no. Cleaning of the room? Bed was made and bathroom was tidied but the sand and dust under the bed and on the rug was not ours.
We gave this feedback to the property and to the tourist office. 5 weeks on we have not had any response. But then again they have our money and people will visit Margaret River and stay regardless of price and value why should they worry.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acf
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We arrived to a beautiful building on the way in to Margaret River town. We booked in with Bruce who was very nice then made our way to the Champagne room that we had booked. On first impressions it was a charming room. Then we looked out the windows to the front a petrol station & to the rear a stack of building materials. Whilst looking out of the windows we noticed quite a lot of dust on the blinds & some dust & dead insects on the window sill behind the head board of the bed. We got over this then went exploring the town. The next day we went on a wine tasting tour & passed the cleaners on the way out & said hello. On our return at 6.00pm our room had not been cleaned or tidied up as per our expectations. I bought this up with the manager who said you must have been in the room when the cleaners wanted to get in there. I corrected him only for him to reply "well what do you want me to do it?" I said yes! I could tell he wasnt happy. He did the room but not any washing of tea cups & without an appology.
My last moan is the breakfast. They might as well have told us to get the breakfast elsewhere as the effort of the mixture of beans & spaggetti out of a tin plus toast you do your self & pan cakes that are emptied out of a packet was far from apertising. This was the worst food I had been offered on our tour of western Australia which was 2 weeks up to this point.
I trully believe that this could be a charming place to stay but I believe whoever is in charge has become complacent that they will always fill rooms regardless of the cleanliness, service & food.
Please read my other reviews as I am not a persistent whinger & try to be fair.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StubStAlbans
Reviewed 17 January 2009

We found the bridgefield to be very comfortable, pretty and a good location in margaret river. we booked last minute for what was probably their cheapest accomodation so we got a good price for it. The only downside was that it was on the small size. However the decor, comfortable bed and the private courtyard made up for it and the breakfast was very good. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank blackcatLondon
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My partner and I decided on a 2 night stay at the Bridgefield as a base for investigating the area ahead of our October wedding in MR

I've always liked the look of the Bridgefield as you enter town. It's an iconic building and describing it to friends they knew exactly where I meant. I've never stayed at a B&B before, I think those with more time on their hands would appreciate it more but we did enjoy most of our stay.

We had the French Boudoir room at the front of the guesthouse. The one closest to Bussell hwy and also right next to the tea room. There was a bit of noise in the evenings and early morning from traffic (don't forget this is a major rd) and from the Tv in the lounge but otherwise ok.

Our room was impeccable. We had a reverse cycle heater, beautiful curtains and bedding. I loved the huge bolster. We had a claw foot bath in the room. I really enjoyed using it. Unfortunately it wasn't quite as comfortable for my partner as he's 6ft4. If you're a little 5ft munchkin like me you might fit ok. Same goes for the bed. it's a gorgeous lofty double but we are used to something much larger so we had trouble sleeping. This may not affect other couples.

Our room had the toilet and sink in the room separated by a tiny western style stall door. A bit confronting! I did notice not all the rooms were like this and we were warned beforehand. It wasn't too much of a problem but I wouldn't choose this particular room again. I think this feature let it down.

The rest of the guesthouse is lovely. Beautiful rugs and runners, a log fire in the lounge etc. Bruce the owner was very friendly. Other staff a little chilly. They have a big grey cat we loved spending time with.

I would recommend this to older couples, my parents etc and anyone stopping in town for a night but I wouldn't stay so close to town again due to my personal needs. the place was nice but not terribly relaxing for me..

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2008

Loved this guest house. Excellent value for money. Great location

We turned up with no reservation and the owner welcomed us and found us a room straight away.

The Merlot Room was very cosy and quaint. Thought had been put into the decor and there were lots of nice little touches in the room like heated blankets, chocolates on bedside tables, outdoor (undercover) log fire on private/secluded patio area, powerful hairdrier, DVD player.

Room was small but decor made up for it. Even thought had been put into the bathroom decor with lovely tiles around the sink area. Not your usual boring white tiled standard bathroom.

We meant to use the gorgeous patio area with the fire but it rained heavily on the night that we wanted to use it (although undercover there were slight gaps in the covering), so we gave it a miss but I can imagine it would be lovely on a dry evening especially with a bottle of wine and some nibbles.

Complimentary breakfast was good with a selection of different things to choose from. A strange mushroom, onion and beef gravy thing was available, which I wouldn't have had at breakfast but my partner did and it was apparently quite pleasant.

Slight problem with noise on our first night. Noisy drunken group were sat either outside our room in the lounge area or on the decking area of one of the nearby rooms and this did keep us awake from midnight until around 2am but it would be tricky to soundproof the room without putting in double glazing, which looks horrible or fitting a heavier, tighter fitting door. This would all ruin the look of the building.

Bridgefield is a great little find and we will definitely be returning. It was lovely to find a place with such a huge amount of character.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple