“New owners are doing an excellant job .........”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The African Reef

and 1 more site!
The African Reef
Perth
“New owners are doing an excellant job .........”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed Jan 3rd till 6th 2012
Firstly we need to compliment the staff .....they are doing an excellant job.
Secondly we compliment the new owner .....she is hands on, approachable and making a genuine effort to improve what was previously so not well reviewed, she made a big and honest effort to make our stay a pleasant one with an ongoing programme of building and fittings upgrade and extensive visible improvements.
Unfortunately she was very let down by a chef that did not qualify to use that title. The presentation on plate was appalling, the quality of produce was even worse and taste was well bellow anything we have experienced over many years. Something was very wrong .....either a lack of ability, ineptitude or plain laziness has let the hard efforts of all the rest severely down .....
We would certainly stay here again .........but re the food ..........

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

Firstly I booked ahead and told the reception I would be checking in late, so they would leave the key under the mat of the room I was staying in. Rocked up at 10pm to find no key. Went to reception and no one was there! Called after hours number and was spoken to very rudely! Finally got my key and got into the room around 10.45pm... Exhausted, I jumped onto the bed and nearly broke my back it was so hard and uncomfortable. Then I discovered hair in the shower and bathroom sink, cobwebs in the corners of the room and dust everywhere! I was so disgusted with the room that I ended up laying the 2 seats down in my station wagon and went to sleep. When I went to book out, they also tried to charge me a $30 fee for calling after hours!! I was absolutely shocked! I would never EVER go back there and I hope nobody ever does and this place is condemed!

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank amynash

Travellers are raving about these Geraldton hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

This place is old and run down and dirty. The place is slowly falling down in total disrepair and no one seem remotely interested. The room are small and dark,the furnishing very old and dated and very very dirty. The fittings, plumbing and windows are all totally past their use by date, sliding doors are bent and held shut by wood strips jammed into the frame with fly screens torn or non existent. The bathrooms are disgusting, dirty, cracked tiles with little or no ventilation. Air conditioning is bordering on useless and only in one room. Anything resembling service is non existant. The bedding is very poor quality and looks very old. There were no coat hangers, doors hanging off on the wardrobes, no clocks -no anything. I would not recommend staying here if it was the only accommodation in town - I am amazed it is allowed to trade in such a state, My verdict, Utter rubbish!

Room Tip: DO not go here -drive straight on to the next one
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank traveller2079
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2010

Dark rooms, expensive for WA, no charms at all, we spent an horrible night and regretted our stop. Don't go to this place...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tristan_Geneva
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

OMG - what a disappointment! I've been staying here, on business trips, for over two years. I have to say that the restaurant was the thing that kept me coming back. What a let-down, when I went for dinner; the restaurant has changed hands, and the menu has gone south big-time. Burgers are now first on the menu, followed by Entrees which were ALL SEAFOOD. The mains selection is abysmal, unless of course you're into steaks. There is no pasta on the menu! There's no Asian worth talking about. The barramundi I had was worse than you'd get in a fish & chip shop. To cap it off, I had a cooked breakfast this morning and the bacon was off!
Now that I've started to wind up, I have to say the place is in need of a lot of attention. I stayed three nights, and the same long, dark hair was lying in the shower cubicle for the whole time. The showers must have been designed for "verticall-challenged" individuals, as I had to bend my knees to wet my face and head. The kitchen sink was crawling with ants. I opened the kettle and a big, bloody spider shot from inside it. The roadway around the place really suited my 4WD. I'll be looking elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business