Book In Advance

from USD 144.50
from USD 326.70
from USD 163.30
More Info
All reviews fairy penguins phillip island lovely walk flash photography every evening red light come home take photos their natural habitat on the rocks melbourne skyline penguin watching kite surfers penguin colony an amazing experience penguins coming great spot
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We decided against Phillip Island given cost and likelihood of tourist trap. Instead we joined approx 100 people on the pier at sunset. Glad to have knowledgeable volunteer wardens around to ensure penguins were allowed their space. Well worth the easy tram ride from the city.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

DO NOT USE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY. Do not climb on the rocks. Do not step on the penguins. I enjoyed seeing the penguins, but I was disturbed at how tourists broke the rules. I also think the “penguin team” volunteers need to do more to communicate these rules.

There needs to be more signs and signs in multiple languages. Volunteers need to speak clearly and firmly to guests in simple English. Case in point, a penguin walked on to the foot path and we were told to “make way.” “Give them space” with gestures would be clearer for non-English speakers.

A tourist was not paying attention and not understanding the volunteer’s words “stand still.” She was walking forward and not looking at the ground, I yelled “stop moving!” And she stopped. If not, she was about 6 inches from stepping on the penguin.

I’ve been an English teacher in Asia for years and I know the value in using the simplest expressions in an international setting. I reminded a few tourists to not use flash and explained that it hurts the penguins eyes. They did stop. The volunteers were not saying anything to one flash photographer who took pictures for an hour in the dark, but when he crossed my path I talked to him about it and he apologized.
I think until they put more signs we all need to do our part and not just assume that somebody doesn’t speak English. As soon as we point out that their behavior is inappropriate and hurts the animals most people will stop.

1  Thank Ashley L
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We walked along the pier, past dozens of fishermen, about an hour before sunset. We had an excellent light meal and drinks in the bar at the end of the pier. After sunset then went onto the breakwater to see the penguins come in. Lots of people , but volunteers there to ensure everyone disturbed the birds as little as possible. Fascinating! Highly recommended, but keep quiet!!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

St Kilda is not a great swim beach - it's fun to hang out and sun bathe. Good food options. Happy vibe. Great for some hero shots - good light!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Nice quiet and clean beach with wooden boardwalk at the back. SImple bar available overlooking the beach. Fresh water taps aplenty and snad is soft and dry.