“There's a mouse in that house!?”
Review of Circa, The Prince

Circa, The Prince
Ranked #36 of 291 Restaurants in St Kilda
Price range: USD 8 - USD 40
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The highly awarded Circa Private Dining + Events sets a benchmark for innovative food, a well-travelled wine list and impeccable service. The renowned kitchen has produced some of the country's most exciting talents, including Andrew McConnell, Philippa Sibley, David Moyle, Ben Shewry, and most recently, Rhys Blackley, who took Circa from one to two hats (2016 + 2017). Both food and wine menus are individually curated based on the occasion, with a focus on contemporary seasonal eating, eclectic and rare wines, as well as a range of other premium beverage offerings. The iconic spaces, including the atrium bar, private dining room, and balcony room are exclusively available for dinners, private parties, weddings and corporate events. By pre-arranged appointment only.
Melbourne, Australia
“There's a mouse in that house!?”
Reviewed 5 October 2015

Firstly, Circa is a great place for breakfast! The service is always (and was on the day of this review) first rate, the breakfast team is right on game, fast, friendly and fabulous. Our breakfast arrived in good order, coffee was good. Biting into our toasties (croque monsieur) was, as always a treat we look forward to when away, and this mornings didn't disappoint.
HOWEVER, noodling through the morning paper, casually chatting with my brekky bud, I noticed a scampering rodent at the other end of the room, slightly dumbfounded, I watched over my glasses as the brazen animal trekked back from where it'd come.
i alerted the staff, who attempted a hunt (I'm unsure of its success)
Now I get that this is down and dirty St Kilda, very street, but a mouse is a mouse is a mouse, and that's just not on!!

• Visited October 2015
Dylan T, Public Relations Manager at Circa, The Prince, responded to this review, 7 October 2015
Hi Michael,
We can assure you that this is already being actioned as a priority. This is the first feedback we've had of something being seen, albeit briefly, in the dining room.
An old building and car park at the rear of the complex is the source of the problem. We have exterminators monitoring to ensure these types are stopped before entering the building. We will have them step this up following your feedback.
We can assure you that the highest level of health and safety standards are being maintained.
I hope this clears your concerns.
Regards,
Dylan Thomas

Malmo, Sweden
“Eyes too big for our bellies”
Reviewed 30 September 2015

I visited Circa with a group of friends while I was on a business trip in Melbourne and hadn't heard about it before, but knew it had 2 chefs hats, so expectations were high.

We chose the 9 course menu because we thought we were very hungry and hunkered down for a long evening. The sommelier was fantastic and flawless in his recommendations. The service was fitting of the restaurants 2 hats and the food was delicious.

The only downside I would say is that 9 courses was way too much and by the end of the evening, we were all feeling a little engorged. This wasn't helped by the overly rich and way too salty wagu right at the end of the meal. We were so full, we just couldn't finish the dessert, which was disappointing.

At the end of the night, we were presented with an extremely modest bill considering the quality of the food.

Visited July 2015
Brisbane, Australia
“Big Money paid to still be hungry”
Reviewed 30 September 2015

Recently attended a private lunchtime function at this establishment. The service was good and we were well looked after. The wine list was also good and reasonably priced.

Big problem was the size of the dishes we were served. It wasn't cheap to eat here and we were forced to order additional bread and bowls of chips to make sure we were all sufficiently fed.

The bill we paid was large and the food quality was good but the quantity didn't meet our needs.

• Visited August 2015
Melbourne, Australia
“Had dinner tonight with my friend, no special occasion but by the end of the night we both felt The specialness”
Reviewed 29 September 2015

This was the finest dining experience of the year for us, the food was spectacular and the service was where it all counts. Our fantastic waiter Florian carefully patiently explained all the nuances of the menu items so that we knew exactly what we were eating and enjoyed it all the more for it Portions were small but filling and allowed room for some dessert.. Recommend scallop entree and the prawn entree along with the pork belly and rhubarb also the fish was to die for ..for dessert ..chocolate mousse with Beetroot shards was sublime...An absolute must to try this restaurant

• Visited September 2015
1 Thank Squinert
“Did not reach expectations :(”
Reviewed 27 September 2015

I had been wanting to dine at Circa for some years now and finally got to experience it with my family for a birthday celebration.

We booked for 7pm, the table was not ready unit 7:15 and once placed at the table we waited another 15 minutes for water & menus to be placed on the table (to which we actually had to request menus).

The menu is complex and there are no options suitable for children. When our food was served I was surprised at how small each portion was considering the average price of a main course is $40.

We ordered dessert and my sister arranged at the beginning of the night to have the staff write Happy Birthday on the dessert and light candles that she gave them, this was forgotten.

To their credit when they forgot about the candles they did give us a complimentary glass of dessert wine each, which was enjoyable.

Overall, I felt the staff did not go above and beyond and at times I felt like they were not interested in making everyones night a memorable one. The food portions were small and none of the dishes I tried were incredible. For a well known, classy restaurant I expected much more.

• Visited June 2015
Dylan T, Public Relations Manager at Circa, The Prince, responded to this review, 28 September 2015
Hi Laura,
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. Definitely a few items, such as the time you waited for menus and the slight slip-up on the candles, that we will pass on to staff as examples of things that we need to ensure don't happen.
If you have any more information to add, please email us on info@melbournepubgroup.com.au.
Thanks again for your time.