“Most unPrincely”
Review of The Prince

The Prince
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Reviewed 5 October 2015

Previously, Ive outlined the need this hotel has for a refurb, and while it still holds some charm, the makeover needs to happen like NOW!
Our stay was a single night, the room was nice enough, the noise however was off the richter. Pumping bass until 2am is a definite sleep killer, and while the lovely lad on reception did his best to calm us, the thumping went on unimpeded. I've got to say "I'm no wowser!" but heck 2am on a sunday night is seriously pushing it, seriously. (especially considering we asked for a quiet room?)
The Value is also slipping, taking into account the room rate versus the condition of the room/hotel, refurb refurb refurb.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Nick M, Accommodation Manager at The Prince, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2015

Dear michaelcourtenay,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Prince.

I would like to offer our sincerest apologies for a far from perfect stay and my thanks for your honest review.

Indeed our rooms are due for some touch up work which as mentioned in previous responses will be undertaken early in the new year. However the loud bass into the early hours is inexcusable and I would like to assure you that we have addressed this with the team.

May I ask that when next looking to stay with us that you contact me directly so that I may personally assist in making arrangements for a most enjoyable stay.

Once again my sincerest apologies and thank you for for the opportunity of reply.

With my kindest regards,
Nick

Reviewed 26 September 2015

I was really looking forward to our stay and happy with the location.
The reception staff were polite upon arrival, but the entire area is shrouded in darkness. It was difficult to find the elevator in the poor lighting.
The room was small, but well set out. Lovely bathroom and toiletries, but it was so dirty. Lip prints on the "clean" glasses, layers of dust, faulty lights, faulty kettle, stained blankets, dirty carpet, food scraps left from previous guests, tea coffee not restocked from previous guests (2nd room)and dirty marks on the walls and doors.
We had to change rooms due to electrical faults. Most of the staff were helpful, but the inconveniences really made the stay far from relaxing and very poor value. The overall experience was very disappointing, tiring and overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Nick M, Accommodation Manager at The Prince, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2015

Dear 555pjd,

Thank you for writing to us following your recent stay at The Prince and may I offer firstly our sincerest apologies for a stay less than perfect.

It is clear that in a number of areas we have vast improvements to make and I would like to assure you that we will be working to improve.

I have also written to you directly to find out more about your booking so we can pin point the issues.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I hope that we can in the future welcome you back to The Prince, leaving you with memories far more befitting.

With our kindest regards,

Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

The hotel has been designed nicely but could do with a refresh. The location is spot on with everything a walk away including trams straight to the CBD. The rooms are quite small and although stylish not hugely practical.

The staff at the hotel in general were lovely and very helpful. The main downfall for me was that the aircon in our room didn't work so it was freezing. I did raise it but nothing was done about it.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Nick M, Accommodation Manager at The Prince, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2015

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Prince.

It's fantastic to hear that you found our service team to be friendly and helpful however I would like to apologise again for the problems you experienced with you room's air conditioning.

During your stay we did encounter a one off breakdown which unfortunately took some time to be repaired. Our heating was back on later in the evening but I do understand that this made for a less than comfortable stay.

May I ask that when next looking to stay with us that you contact me directly so I can personally assist in making arrangements for a perfect stay.

Thank you kindly for the opportunity of reply.

Until next time,

Reviewed 27 August 2015 via mobile

I am staying here. Had delicious dinner in the restaurant. This morning I'm in the restaurant. There is one other guest here. It's 8.30am. I ask for a vegetable omelet (not on the menu though all ingredients are). Chef says he's too busy to make it! I don't even mind which vegetables. He can make scrambled egg with spinach but not turn it into an omelet with the other veg on the menu. Too busy.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Nick M, Accommodation Manager at The Prince, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2015

Dear Sara G,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us following your stay this week at The Prince.

I hope you enjoyed your stay with us overall however I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for your experience at breakfast, not being able to fulfill your request for an omelette.

I would like to assure you that we will be addressing this with our Kitchen team to ensure on your next visit your stay is seamless.

As always I am available to be contacted directly at the hotel and again may I thank you for your time and for the opportunity to reply.

With my kindest regards,
Nick

Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

Found The Prince on a web flash sale and thought we'd give it a try. A nice hotel but overpriced for its "boutique" status. Fantastic location. Friendly service. The Circa bar is really classy with a good selection of wines. Although the room was dressed well, the facilities were basic. Uncomfortable double bed and no extra blankets despite it being winter and cold at night. Thin walls and we were woken by a screaming child at 8am. Beautiful bathroom but shower constantly changed from hot to cold. Breakfast was included in our package - a bonus because we would not have wanted to pay for what we received. Expensive, lacking in variety and tiny servings. My boyfriend ordered poached eggs on toast which was literally two eggs on one piece of toast, not filling for a guy's breakfast. He had to order two more eggs. A wedding party was having their post-wedding brunch so the dining room was very noisy. We were offered complimentary tea or coffee to make up for this. While The Prince was passable for a special, it is not worth it's usual rate of $220 - $260 a night. We would only return for the location and friendly service.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Nick M, Accommodation Manager at The Prince, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2015

Dear Rose_ColouredCoffee,

Thank you for writing to us following your stay at The Prince.

We do hope that you enjoyed your weekend in St Kilda however I would like to apologies for a number of small items which overall made for a less than perfect stay with us.

I can assure you that we will be working to improve our standards overall and would like to ask that when next looking to stay in the area that you contact me directly so that I may personally assist in making arrangements for a pleasant stay, one worth remembering for all the right reasons.

Once again that you for your time and your honest feedback.

Until next time,