“Wake up Melbourne this is the bomb”
Review of Embassy97

Embassy97
Ranked #86 of 311 Restaurants in St Kilda
Price range: USD 11 - USD 22
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Embassy at 97 has lovely, friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere. There is a giant chalkboard with chalk and colouring pencils and colouring books available for the kids as well as magazines and newspapers for the rest of us. The food is ranging from eggs to focaccia to traditional French food. While there is no specific children's menu, the chef is happy to do smaller portions. There is no charge for baby chinos and they have a great everyday special of coffee with a freshly baked on premises muffin, for $5! Seating is bench-style and there are tables outside: both on the footpath and in a small courtyard, meaning that you can sit with a group. Also of note is that there is a tram-stop directly outside the door.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I stumbled upon this cute little place yesterday while holidaying in St Kilda.
It is very French, very quaint and very good. We all went mains and desserts so between four of us we tried the French onion soup, the beef Wellington, the boullebaise and the roasted duck in orange. I opted out of dessert but the boys had a chocolate mousse, strawberry crepes and of course, creme brûlée.

This restaurant is fantastic. The kitchen is actually in the restaurant so everything is cooked fresh, and in saying that there were no long delays between courses.

I could not understand why it was so quiet on a Thursday night, so Melbourneites pull your heads in and give this gem a shot. I'd move back to Melbourne just to have dinner there once a week.

There motto is enter as a stranger leave as a friend and that just sums this place up.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

Having walked past Embassy97 many times and been intrigued by the presence of a seemingly traditional attempt at a French restaurant in St Kilda, we decided to try it for dinner in early January. There are few true French restaurants in Melbourne so we were keen to see what it had to offer. Inside is a surprisingly spacious and modern with nice decor. It was early evening so the restaurant was empty. We tried the 2 pasta dishes on offer and a salad. Service was quite poor. The waiter seemed unsure of how to do his job, additional training definitely needed. Bread was not offered and had to be requested. the meal was ok but at the prices charged the pasta dishes offered little taste and their sauces were plain and tasteless. The salad was probably the high point. It’s great to see someone try to make a success of a restaurant like this in St Kilda but the service and food needs to be a lot better on what is a competitive strip for eating places. A disappointing experience.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

We had booked for Christmas Day night at 7pm. We confirmed twice and received a text message the day before to reconfirm, which we did. At 230pm on Xmas Day I missed a call on my mobile and when I heard the message later it was Embassy 97 saying ' sorry we can't open today because our oven is not working. We were so disappointed.Where else could we book last minute on Xmas Day?? We were so looking forward to a great French Xmas Dinner

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Wandered down Fitzroy Street & noticed Embassy 97 so came back for a farewell to Melbourne dinner with my niece.
Outstanding French food & great service. The duck was probably the best I have ever eaten.
We had a beautiful Pinot by the glass at a great price & finished off with wonderful crepes.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

I took my husband here for a Saturday night dinner before Halloween and we were lucky enough to be given the table right by the picture window which was open on the cool October evening.

It was wonderful watching all the colour and movement of Fitzroy Street, St Kilda, which was even more colourful because people of all ages, including families with young children, were dressed in Halloween outfits and obviously on their way to and from parties.
The waitress was sweet and attentive, the food was good but my scallops could have been a tiny bit fresher. However, overall no real complaints and I would go again, especially if we could get the table by the window.