“Five star dining in Bendigo.”

The Woodhouse Bar & Grill
Ranked #3 of 340 Restaurants in Bendigo
Price range: AU$20 - AU$80
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Have a drink to start. Enjoy a cocktail, craft beer or seriously good wine from our extensive list - at our new bar, in our restaurant or private dining room. Share a snack or two or graze on our charcuterie selection. Our friendly staff are happy to guide you through our extensive menu featuring wagyu and premium grass-fed beef, as well as fresh local produce, all cooked on our wood grill or in our wood oven. Try something different or enjoy an old favourite. Finish off with our cheese selection or one of our delicious desserts. We’re excited about giving you the best experience, every time you join us at The Woodhouse. Bookings encouraged.
Reviewed 18 February 2024

We have dined at The Woodhouse several times, and it seems to be better every time. We shared beef tartare for entree, fillet steaks for mains (perfectly cooked) and for dessert the platter of half a dozen “small things”. Service is impeccable, nicely paced, Food is just the best.
We had Negroni cocktails to start, best we have ever had outside of Venice!

Date of visit: January 2024

Reviewed 4 December 2023

We came here because my sister-in-law told me she'd had the best steak she'd ever eaten here. (She was visiting from London, we were visiting from Paris.)
This is a highly specialized restaurant, and you have to like its aged-beef specialties to appreciate it.
I'm used to be asking how one would like their steak done, not here.
Aged beef needs to be cooked to the chef's recommendation.
Our meal was very good, but my tastes are more along the line of a rare 'bavette'.
We had a lot of questions about the beef, and our waitress asked the chef to come out to answer our questions.
Very kindly, he did - and spent almost 15 mins doing so!
One small criticism: the service was quite slow (e.g., serving the wine took a couple of reminders).
But if you like aged beef: Unmissable!

Date of visit: October 2023
Reviewed 18 September 2023

Lovely spring evening in Bendigo and I was lucky enough to be back at The Woodhouse Restaurant. Hadn't been here for 18months due to covid, but still the same warm friendly atmosphere with terrific staff. Had the grass fed 300gm Porterhouse medium rare with red wine jus, cauliflower side and hot English mustard. To drink, S. C. Pannell Tempranillo. What a wonderfull dinner. Steak perfectly cooked, cauliflower as I remember it and a gem of a wine from Steve Pannell What more can I say but extremely well done Woodhouse!
Oh, don't forget to book.

Reviewed 27 August 2023 via mobile

This is the 2nd review i have given this restaurant. First was 5 star but under this is only 2 stars at the most.
The waitress, is the only reason I have given this. Seriously this place has honestly gone down hill so far, to where we will not be returning and would enjoy a pub meal instead.
My husband, son and I had snack consisting of 2 mouthfuls at the most.
Then we all had an entree again small.
The mains, my husband had a steak with Green Beans which were raw and tough, my son and I Shared Turf & Surf. The Surf & Turf was terrible. Not only was the Surf dry but consisted of 2 prawns and half a small lobster tail. The steak was a Rib Eye. Full of fat and was charred so badly that the bitter char was all that could be tasted.
We also had 2 desserts. My Dessert was bitter. And to top it off. The price was astronomical $580 Terrible

2  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed 11 August 2023 via mobile

Hubby and I chose here for dinner as hubby was craving meat. So glad we did. The atmosphere and decor were perfect, soft general music playing in the background, enough to stop the place being quiet. Our waiter Max was a delight and very knowledgeable about the cuts of meat, particularly for some who is vegetarian. He checked in with us through dinner, ensuring all was ok but not intrusive, he seemed to know when we wanted something. The food was fabulous, steak for hubby and duck for me. Both dishes presented nicely and eloquently in front of us. Dinner finished and Corrine took over for dessert. The Apple Tarte Tatin caught our eye, with Corrine’s description of the dessert sold it to us, and boy was it good. The aroma of the dessert reminded me of Christmas. We were so pleased that we chose this restaurant as I will remain in my memory for ages to come. When in Bendigo do yourself a great favour and book here for a special night. I also would like to say all the staff were of high standard and seemed to enjoy working there.