“An amazing dining experience”

The Woodhouse Bar & Grill
Ranked #3 of 339 Restaurants in Bendigo
Price range: AU$20 - AU$80
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Have a drink to start. Enjoy a cocktail, craft beer or seriously good wine from our extensive list - at our new bar, in our restaurant or private dining room. Share a snack or two or graze on our charcuterie selection. Our friendly staff are happy to guide you through our extensive menu featuring wagyu and premium grass-fed beef, as well as fresh local produce, all cooked on our wood grill or in our wood oven. Try something different or enjoy an old favourite. Finish off with our cheese selection or one of our delicious desserts. We’re excited about giving you the best experience, every time you join us at The Woodhouse. Bookings encouraged.
Reviewed 11 August 2023 via mobile

Hubby and I chose here for dinner as hubby was craving meat. So glad we did. The atmosphere and decor were perfect, soft general music playing in the background, enough to stop the place being quiet. Our waiter Max was a delight and very knowledgeable about the cuts of meat, particularly for some who is vegetarian. He checked in with us through dinner, ensuring all was ok but not intrusive, he seemed to know when we wanted something. The food was fabulous, steak for hubby and duck for me. Both dishes presented nicely and eloquently in front of us. Dinner finished and Corrine took over for dessert. The Apple Tarte Tatin caught our eye, with Corrine’s description of the dessert sold it to us, and boy was it good. The aroma of the dessert reminded me of Christmas. We were so pleased that we chose this restaurant as I will remain in my memory for ages to come. When in Bendigo do yourself a great favour and book here for a special night. I also would like to say all the staff were of high standard and seemed to enjoy working there.

Date of visit: August 2023

Reviewed 24 July 2023 via mobile

There is the express lunch option where you get 2 courses for $58, which represents great value and was very filling. I had the wagyu steak and it was probably the best steak I’ve ever had. My wife had the barramundi which was super good. The smell of the wood fire and ambience provided for a great meal. The wine list is good. I had a Coonawarra red as part of the lunch deal. This place is busy for dinner so book ahead to avoid disappointment.

Date of visit: July 2023
Reviewed 6 June 2023

If you want a fabulous dining experience, this is it. We were lucky to be seated near the fire (table of 6) and the food was excellent. The menu and wines were not cheap, but the food was very very good and the service impeccable. We would definitely recommend The Woodhouse to anyone who wants something a little bit special.

Date of visit: June 2023
Reviewed 27 May 2023 via mobile

There is an Asian unfriendly staff there!

As a tourist from another state, I visited the vibrant town of Bendigo on my birthday, seeking to enjoy its artistic and cultural atmosphere. . I had planned to celebrate by trying out a restaurant that I had heard had won awards for their steaks and supposedly offered decent service.

Unfortunately, I experienced a form of racial discrimination that left me disheartened. The white girl with light brown curls tied up in a ponytail, responsible for refilling water, completely ignored our table. We noticed her diligently refill water for every table except ours. It seemed like she deliberately skipped our table and went to the neighbouring tables. Despite my friend making eye contact with her, she continued to disregard us. It was disheartening to observe her refilling water for other customers, who happened to be white, while neglecting our table even though my glass was nearly empty. Each time I saw her approaching, I looked at her, but that person turned her head and stood by the water dispenser.

Having paid for a high-end restaurant, I had expected quality service, but instead, it ruined my mood and spoiled my birthday celebration. This was the first time I encountered such a combination of poor service and discrimination by this girl in all my years of living in Australia and visiting various cities. It is indeed disappointing and a disgrace to this city. Although the front desk manager promptly apologized, I felt the lack of sincerity as the girl never came to apologize herself.

I I believe that hospitality should never tolerate such service, and I sincerely hope that I never have to encounter such staff in the future.

Date of visit: May 2023
9  Thank Mia D
Reviewed 23 May 2023 via mobile

I had visited The Woodhouse a few times and generally found it good but not excellent but having friends visit we decided to give it another go and I’m so pleased we did. Both the food and service were excellent and reasonably priced. Everyone had steak and sides. I like my steak well done and it was perfect melt in your mouth. Not overdone. The sides were generous for sharing. Our friends were delighted and we will return (just need to book in advance which is ok if you are that organised).

Date of visit: January 2023