“The Woodhouse is my favourite restaurant in Australia.”

The Woodhouse Bar & Grill
Ranked #3 of 339 Restaurants in Bendigo
Price range: AU$20 - AU$80
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Have a drink to start. Enjoy a cocktail, craft beer or seriously good wine from our extensive list - at our new bar, in our restaurant or private dining room. Share a snack or two or graze on our charcuterie selection. Our friendly staff are happy to guide you through our extensive menu featuring wagyu and premium grass-fed beef, as well as fresh local produce, all cooked on our wood grill or in our wood oven. Try something different or enjoy an old favourite. Finish off with our cheese selection or one of our delicious desserts. We’re excited about giving you the best experience, every time you join us at The Woodhouse. Bookings encouraged.
Reviewed 30 October 2022

Myself and my wife have eaten at this wonderful place a couple of times now. We live on the Mornington peninsula but we will happily drive all the way to Bendigo, just to eat at this restaurant.

Up until eating here, I have never considered beef to be my favourite meat. It has always taken a third place to lamb and pork. This restaurant has changed my mind. Although they present everything beautifully; fish, vegetables and other delights, the jewel of creative crown is (in my humble opinion) the glory of their beef.

Every is presented so beautifully on the plate. The first bite is definitely with the eye. Then, the aroma rises to you like the incense at a sacred ceremony. You revel in that for a moment, before you are drawn like a falling meteor into the world of favour that is a meal at The Woodhouse.

On our last visit, we had the good fortune of speaking to the owners, who were lovely people. That made the experience even better; as there is no greater joy than knowing you are giving your custom to somewhere where good, caring people are.

So, other restaurants of Australia - I set you a challenge; can you beat The Woodhouse?

I think now.

P.S. If their duck is available - you must have it ....must have it, my precioussss!

Date of visit: September 2022
1  Thank blackdogchronicles

Reviewed 29 October 2022 via mobile

I’ve been wanting to get back to The Woodhouse for some time. I had trouble getting a booking for a weekend night at a reasonable time - 6.30-8 pm. I was told they opened Saturday for lunch, so while in the neighbourhood, I stopped by to see if they could take two of us. We couldn’t get in until 2.30 pm, but it was well worth the wait!

We had the rib eye for two, served with potatoes. We also ordered a butter lettuce salad. The rib eye, not cheap, was awesome. Yes, we ate every bite. It was perfectly cooked, tasty and served with various sauces and mustards. It needed none of them. This was the best meal I’ve had in a very long time. We will be back.

Staff is professional, knowledgeable and helpful. Hard to find these days. We were really impressed with all of it. Thank you, Woodhouse for a great dining experience. (FYI: My husband is a chef, so a tough customer.)

Reviewed 20 October 2022 via mobile

We had a great experience at The Woodhouse. Everything from the ambience, service and the food was excellent. Steaks were tender and flavorful. The Old English mustard was spicy but having it with the steak was delicious.

Reviewed 13 October 2022

I also thought the experience menu at $125 was excessively priced. I was disappointed in the quality of the steak [ thin with bone grizzle and fat } but as previously said not sure how they cater for different cooking of steak for different people as ours also was indifferent. My other concern was that you receive a cooked potato as a main with your steak but you receive a cold plain salad instead of hot vegetables.Surely you should get vegetables at that price. Entree and desserts were excellent I must say but by you share a bottle of wine and an extra glass no change out of $380 for two without a tip. Need to improve

2  Thank Macshirl2
Reviewed 21 September 2022 via mobile

I’m Bendigo born and bred. We visited a week ago where we went with the set menu option which on their website the menu says $125 per person but the menu handed over in person had $135. By the time we had a couple of drinks each, the bill for two came in at $350.00. Did I walk out feeling like I had the most amazing meal ever and was happy to part with that much money, that would be a no.
The set menu, each person does not get an entree size of each item listed. It details the steak and weight and we were asked individually how we both wanted our steak cooked however when it came out it was the one steak that had to be shared between the two of us. Not sure what they would have done if one of us liked well done and the other person rare.
Overall it was disappointing, compared to my last dining experience there when I parted with $250 and walked out feeling like that meal was totally worth that amount of money. Like some other review said, you can get an equally nice piece steak at some of the wonderful pubs Bendigo has.

Date of visit: September 2022