“Masons not quite a top hat and more like a Beanie”
Review of Masons of Bendigo

Masons of Bendigo
Ranked #1 of 338 Restaurants in Bendigo
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled under a chic black awning on Queen Street in the heart of Bendigo’s bustling CBD district awaits Masons of Bendigo – a modern, sophisticated restaurant with a welcoming relaxed ambiance. First opened on March 26 2012, husband and wife chef team Nick and Sonia Anthony have carved out a unique place in Bendigo’s increasingly vibrant culinary scene. Providing lunch Fridays and Saturdays; dinner service 5 days a week, like a great Bordeaux, Masons of Bendigo is a unique expression of its location, its environment and the people.
Reviewed 8 August 2021 via mobile

We were excited to try this institution in Bendigo that came with lots of raves from locals who in many cases hadn’t actually been there as a diner but were very proud of its reputation.
On arrival our group of 4 was informed that it would be a set menu. We were asked if there was anything we didn’t like or did we have any allergies and if not sit back and enjoy what we have decided you will have? I have to say upfront I hate set menus because if I am paying I want to choose what I am eating but for the sake of the experience we smiled and got ready to be dazzled by the chef. Wine ordered at $150/bottle and while it was nice I really didn’t feel it was $150 but hey this place has hats on the window so you must be ok to pay big prices.
As with most set menus they’re generally small serves with lots of garnish and this was no exception and I am sure they would argue quality over quantity but the food was disappointing with only 2 standout dishes one for being great and the other for being inedible.
First standout was the Duck Dumplings that had a Peking Duck flavor and were well constructed and loads of flavor.
Second standout was the Oyster Blade which was absolutely vile and remained on 3 of 4 plates as we all took one mouthful and refused to eat the remaining 2 or three mouthfuls, yes, it was that bad I actually dry reached as it turned into a a ball of fat as I ate it, GROSS.
What really amazed us was that the waiter could obviously see 3 people hadn’t eaten this dish but he didn’t asked why, maybe he knew and or just didn’t care??
The lamb rump was really nice but absolutely let down by the dried and burnt lamb neck and belly that accompanied it on the plate.
I really hate giving this review because small business is really doing it hard but I was so disappointed to dine at this obviously well regarded restaurant and get very ordinary food and end up paying more than $150 per person to be left feeling like I need a kebab when we left lol.
Let’s hope they find the hat that makes them famous as I think they may have pulled out a beanie for winter.

3  Thank warricks2017

Reviewed 7 August 2021

Murray cod, scallop, garlic chive dumplings, kohlrabi, fried wonton, spring onion, Chin Kiang dressing - As usual, the first dish to the table was exceptional. Personally, the coriander was far too much for my taste. However, I am somewhat biased as I do not enjoy coriander on any dish.

McIvor Farm pork hock, red braised quince, snake beans, chilli peanuts, yellow bean dressing, turmeric steamed bun - perfect texture or the pork hock with just the right amount of crunch topped with the fluffiness of the steamed bun. The chilli peanuts enhance the flavour profile with an almost creamy note being the dish together.

Sutton Grange lamb rump, neck and belly, beetroot muhammara, pickled radicchio, smoked yoghurt, linseed, white kale - Overall, this course was appetizing, the star of this dish was most certainly the smoked yoghurt. Exhibiting a great combination of flavour between the smoked yoghurt and beetroot muhammara providing a woody and fresh mixture like no other I've experienced before.

Paradise Park 42-hour oyster blade, baby parsnip, charred onion, quail egg, black barley, pine mushroom, red wine jus - Mixed reviews with this course between my partner and I. I found this to be unpalatable, to put it simply. The quail egg was over seasoned and oily, while the rest of the dish was incredibly insipid.

Chocolate ripple cheesecake, blood orange, cara cara, blood orange, chocolate croquant, Collins creamed honey ice cream - very well put together, and texture combination of crunch, smoothness, creaminess, and crumble was impeccable. The honey ice cream was the pleasant sweetness that the dish needed to balance out the other flavours, paired with the citrus and mint duo… my gosh, this was such a treat.

The waitress was one of the same staff members we had experienced briefly on our last visit and was much more friendly and versed with the ins and out of the menu on the evening this time around.

Recommendations to improve our experience was providing additional knives when serving bread at the beginning of the courses and educating the wait staff more around wine selections. The gentleman who helps us with wine selection is phenomenal; familiarising the team with some of his knowledge would elevate the experience overall.

Reviewed 6 August 2021

We had a wonderful evening. As a vegetarian, a degustation menu is sometimes disappointing. However, the menu for both vegetarian (and my meat eating husband) was fantastic. Great service too. Friendly staff and very engaging. We will come back.

Reviewed 14 July 2021 via mobile

Fantastic degustation meal. There were six of us and we all love fine dining. Would rate this as the best fixed menu experience we have had in the last two years. Absolutely marvellous. Three hats from us all. Will definitely be back

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 3 July 2021

Celebrated our anniversary at this fabulous restaurant. Food was creatively presented and delicious. Wine was well paired and the service friendly and informative. No surprise to find a local man proposing on a nearby table. Just added that extra vibe to a special evening. See you again soon.

Date of visit: July 2021