“first time visit proved a hit with out of towners”
Review of Four Ponies

Four Ponies
Ranked #76 of 260 Restaurants in Bendigo
Price range: USD 6 - USD 72
Description: Whether it is a flute of bubbles, a pony of lager or a classic cocktail, together with a menu that is globally inspired and plated to share, FOUR PONIES brings a unique social experience to Bendigo. Come and join us...
Reviewed 15 June 2018

A local friend suggested this converted garage space as a good option to take some work colleagues for an early evening meal and overall proved to be a hit. The only negative, we were seated by an inexperienced young staff member who insisted we should order drinks before seeing the food menu... bad start. However, once I explained that their tapas style menu may suit different wines she relented to the customers request!
We ordered an interesting range of dishes to suit our group of four with a lovely riesling from small grower Adelina. All dishes were good to excellent and served with nice space between plates. At least three members of staff dropped over to the table to ask how the meal was going so the initial setback was forgotten.
I liked the old garage refit and layout with a large bar perfect for a drink and a bite with friends after work and would certainly eat here regularly if it was closer to Sydney!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Swimsteve

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

4th visit to this place. When u eventually get the food it is really tasty and well presented. We arrived at 5.35 with no booking, just my husband and I. We said we’d be quick, just 1 glass of wine with food then home. We ordered at approximately 5.45. Got the entree at 6.20. Service here has always been slow. Staff are friendly but just don’t scan and service the tables promptly enough. I’m glad we came early as I’m sure coming at 7ish will mean Ppl will wait far too long. Considering we were the 2nd order in kitchen, wondering whether it’s an issue in the kitchen?? Great venue but come guys speed it up

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Recently went up to Bendigo to have dinner with my family. Was a little overdue and my sister had heard about Four Ponies and wanted to try it out.
The restaurant is located in the main city of Bendigo beside the well known Cloggs pizza bar.
Building looks great when you enter and there’s a large bar area and open kitchen to the rear of the premises.
We were lead to our table at the rear of the restaurant and sat down. We all had a look at the drinks menu which is quite extensive and as it was a rear occasion we decided on a bottle of wine and a couple of cocktails. The wine appeared not too long after and that was it. We waited.....
After around 20 minutes I called a waiter over to ask if we could get some menus. He seemed pretty put out by my request I also asked if he knew what had happened to the cocktails.
Cocktails and menus came and I thought ok, just a little one off no problem. I’m really not that hard to please.
Menus were just given to me so I distributed them around the table. The menu seemed a little different. Looked like they were share plates but not really stated, certainly was explained. After what seemed like another long wait a waitress came and took our orders. Food came out in drinks and drabs. It wasn’t bad but nothing outstanding. Didn’t get approached again until after the meal was done well and truly. We decided to order some more drinks. We got a beer and that was it... ended by cancelling the rest of the drinks and leaving. In short the food was ok, the drinks were fine if they came but there wasn’t any service unless you went looking for it. Very underwhelming experience considering the expense of the meals and drinks. I certainly won’t be going back. I’d rather a simple Cloggs pizza next door with what has always been great service.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Went there for bit of lunch. The venue is fitted out well, great interior. We have been here before, the food is kind of average, the menu is short, but the food could hit the extra mark.
It was disappointing to see certain items on the drinks list simply crossed out with a ball point pen as they were no longer available, this was very lazy and does not do the restaurant any favours, not something you would expect from such a place.
The staff were good, very busy but got there in the end.
To sum it up the food could be improved!!!!

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank Sdhans100
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

Great food. It is a short menu but loved the food, great looking venue and I was very happy to see they could whip up a delicious mocktail!

Date of visit: March 2018