Open today: 8:30 am - 6:00 pm
Review Highlights
Memorable and Fun

We spent 8 hours with John, ‘packing’in what we on our own could never have achieved - we know and... read more

Reviewed 14 August 2018
Jennifer C
via mobile
30th Wedding Anniversary Launceston Tour

Thank You John for a wonderful memorable day, today!! We thoroughly enjoyed it and will recommend... read more

Reviewed 29 July 2018
frankbevco
Sydney, Australia
via mobile

All reviews his knowledge cradle mountain trowunna wildlife park day trip oldest bridge inside information earlier this month flexible tour cheese factory power station launceston area local history great tour wine tour john powell itinerary
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Thanks John for a fun filled, highly professional, very informative 5 day tour across the north and east of my ancestral home!
From day 1, you were organised, on time ( pity about me!), knowledgeable and yet flexible and fun. The only way to be.:) I appreciated your integrity, your work ethic, your safe driving, and your passion for this island state. You were patient with my slow climbing!☺️and the music was a bonus. Thank you so much. I understand why you have received awards and accolades. You deserve these for being the best! Gratitude. Lesley.

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Hi Lesley and thanks so much for your kind review. It was a delight to share some wonderful places around Tasmania which some of the locals take for granted at times. Lots more to see and do here and I hope to see you back again here one day. Good health and safe travels always.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

John developed an excellent three day tour for us in Tasmania. John was enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and punctual. He was flexible when we wanted to add a stop at the MONA museum, which was impressive. I’m glad we chose John as our guide. Although the days were a little long, there was a good mix of driving and hiking. Plus impressive views.

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Hi Martin & Carol and thank you for choosing to tour with me recently. There is so much to see and do and we barely scratched the surface of this wonderful island state and I hope you may return for a longer stay in the future. Wishing you both the best of health and safest of travels.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

My husband and I did a Hobart day trip from Launeston with John on 22 Feb 18, our main interest being MONA in Hobart. We stopped along Ross and Oatlands on the way to Hobart and on the way back to Launceston, we went to Mount Wellington, Salamanca Place and even stopped by the oldest bridge in Tasmania, Richmond Bridge, for a photo!

John is professional, being punctual, driving with care and considerate of our needs. But what set him apart was his love and enthusiasm for the city as well as his knowledge. He shared with us the history of the places we passed by and visited, injecting his stories with his great sense of humour. And he always showed us the best spots to for photos!

Although we told him that we were most keen to visit MONA and don't mind missing a stop here and there along the way, he made every effort to show us worthwhile places, which we appreciate greatly. Left to us, we may have taken the easy way out and just head straight back to Launceston after MONA, missing the breath taking and special Mount Wellington!

Thanks again John for showing us and sharing with us so many great places and stories. And thanks too for being so accommodating and making stops for the often hungry couple to grab a bite or letting them doze off to recharge when they are sleepy!

Looking forward to touring with you again on our next trip :)

1  Thank curious_meow
John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Hello and it is great to hear from you and to take the time to write this review. I have the best job in the world and I have the bests guests touring with me from all over the world. MONA is an amazing museum and very eclectic in its curation. Take care and safe travels and hoping to meet again soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

I booked a Bay of Fires day trip with Discover Tasmania Tours, and on the actual day of the trip, I realized they had a whole day just for me. I was already very grateful they would do tours on Saturdays as I was having a tough time trying to find a tour that was conducted on Saturdays (most of the ones I found online would only do Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and maybe Sundays)...but they even had a tour only for me. I truly felt special.
John (and Jane) took me to the Bay of Fires circle (basically you follow the highway A3, starting the Northern part to the Bay and come back from the South) and I had an opportunity to encounter many more incredible views rather than just the Bay. My favourite was Weldborough Rainforest. It’s such an indescribable place and you really have to actually be in it to know how amazing it is :)

They also took me to the dairy farm in Pyengana where you could taste wide variety of dairy products. In the same area there is also a place called St.Columba Falls State Reserve, where you can enter another rainforest and look up to the falls.

The day we went to the beach was not quite sunny, but still the bay was breathtaking.
We were able to spot some dolphins and I enjoyed the chill day there. I was shocked by how white the sand was.

Throughout the day, John was both a great storyteller and a listener, very caring and witty. He’d make sure you are doing alright (not too hot/cold/sick/tired etc...) and also drive very professionally.

He’s such a great host and you will never be disappointed if you decide to go on a tour with Discover Tasmania Tours.

Hi Arisa and thank you for your review and it was an absolute pleasure to share some of the wonderful locations around select parts of Tasmania with you. It is great you are spreading the love about Tasmania and my tour business, thanks again. Safe travels to all your future locations around the globe.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

I had decided to book with Discover Tasmania Tours after reading the wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor and also the flexibility in the tours that were being offered. Booking a private charter with John for a couple of days, both tours far exceeded our expectations! John is an exceptional tour guide with his knowledge and enthusiasm of Tasmania's history, flora and fauna and landmarks, something very few tour guides possess. John's tours, unlike other ones, also allowed us to visit the many towns that lie between the major tourist attractions, allowing us to see the history and character each little town possessed.
Knowing that we were leaving Launceston the next day, John offered to take us to Cataract Gorge on the day of our Cradle Mountain tour, as well as offering to drive us to our dinner that night! John is a great personality and we could not fault him at all! Will be highly recommending him to all our family and friends!

Thank you for a wonderful couple of days, John!

Hello and thank you for taking time to write such a wonderful review for me. TripAdvisor has been an important business tool to promote my tourism business and I have the best time out with guests on each and every occasion. I wish you all safe travels and the best of health forever.