Open today: 8:30 am - 6:00 pm

Reviewed 29 July 2018
frankbevco
Sydney, Australia
via mobile

All reviews his knowledge cradle mountain trowunna wildlife park day trip oldest bridge inside information earlier this month flexible tour cheese factory power station launceston area local history great tour wine tour john powell itinerary
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

We spent 8 hours with John, ‘packing’in what we on our own could never have achieved - we know and have seen so much more of Launceston and its surrounds than we could ever have managed on our own.
It was our last day in Tasmania and you made it indeed not only memorable but very special.
Thankyou John
Jennifer C.

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Bonjour from Mulhouse and thank you for your kind review. It is wonderful to meet like-minded people and share a travel tale or two and I have so much joy in sharing special parts of my island home. I wish you both the best of health, the safest of travels and many more blissful wedding anniversaries. If only they handed out gold medals.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Thank You John for a wonderful memorable day, today!! We thoroughly enjoyed it and will recommend the tour to others

1  Thank frankbevco
John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

Good morning and thank you so much for your kind review. Happy anniversary and wishing you both the best of health and safest of travels and looking forward to seeing you back in Tasmania in the near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

I took my wife & 4yo daughter on a private winery tour through the Tamar Valley.

John - the owner & our tour guide was brilliant. He picked out all the best wineries to visit, but was very informative in teaching & showing us alit the the history of Launceston along the way. His friendly nature made the day - even our 4yo enjoyed the day.

I’d highly recommend Discover Tasmania Tours based on my personal experience.

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Hi Paul and thanks for your kind note and it was my pleasure to show you around some fine wineries and scenic areas around the Tamar Valley North of Launceston. I trust your wines arrived on time and when you open them, think of Tasmania. Safe travels to you all and I am sure you will be back in Tasmania soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Discover Tasmania Tours is operated by John, who is amazing in so many ways and made our tour with him an exceptionally enjoyable one. Firstly, as the owner of DTT, he is very responsive via emails when we first contacted him for the itinerary and quotation. He even gave us a reminder a few days before our tour with him!

For our tour, he brought my mum and I out of Launceston towards Freycinet National Park as well as a great oysters' dining place (yummy!). Throughout the tour, he educated us with his extensive knowledge - telling us stories/history about Tasmania, the sights and varies kinds of wildlife and trees in Tasmania. The drive was constantly filled with his own life stories, jokes and more. It was so relaxing and fun to be on this tour!

Further, he helped recommend suitable treks depending on the physical abilities of both my mum and I. He suggested I go ahead to the top while he accompanied my mum and took an easier path for her knee! When we were heading back to the hotel, he even recommended a great thai place and brought us to the place to do a takeaway before driving us back to the hotel. (I need to mention as well that his daughter gave birth the same morning! but he still made the time to bring us for food)

On the last day of our holiday, we were doing some last minute shopping in the city when we saw John on his Tuk-tuk bike. Without hesitation, he gave us a ride back to the hotel - ending our trip with a great windy experience (and a 10 minute open city tour on the back of the tuk tuk)!!

It is a pity we only met John on the 2nd last day of our holiday in Tasmania. If we had met him earlier, we would have gone for more tours with him! I would definitely say - John is absolutely your best choice for a tour guide :D

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Wow, what a special review you have written for me and it was an absolute pleasure to meet you both and share some of this wonderful island with you. I tell guests I have the best job in the world because I love what I do and sharing the natural beauty and clean air and fresh food we all take for granted here in Tasmania. Good health and safe travels forever​ to you both.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

My husband and I just had a half day visit to the Hydro Electric Power Stations with John. It was a really interesting visit which we both really enjoyed. John is so knowledgable on local history of Launceston and having worked at the power station has so much inside information to share.Our walk around the Gorge was absolutely beautiful, including the museum.

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Hello and thanks for taking time out to write a lovely review for me. Trevallyn power station is one of 30 hydro facilities around Tasmania and I am always delighted to take guests through this working power station to show what is behind the light switch of your own home. The dam is formed by the placement of a dam wall forming Lake Trevallyn that is on the South Esk River and flows through Cataract Gorge, one of our natural wonders here. Safe travels and good health to you all.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

John picked us up from the Launceston B&B resort and took us to a selection of wineries and a hand picked restaurant for lunch Iron Pot Bay.
We learned about local history, toured the Tamar Valley and generally enjoyed an amazing day with our host ;-)

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Hi Peter and it was my pleasure to take you, Mandy and your Dad on a tour through our historic city of Launceston and to select wineries in the Tamar Valley. We have so much on offer here and I am sure you will return to discover more and I thank you​ for your kind review.

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

John, the owner and operator of Discover Tasmania Tours, is very responsive. When I contacted him for itinerary and quotation, he provided very prompt reply via email.

We have spent 4 days in total with John in Tasmania all the way from Launceston to Hobart. John offered very promising and flexible tour guide service. He also provided airport pick up service in Launceston.

He showed us around Launceston, cradle mountain, Bay of Fires, Bicheno, Freycinet National Park, Mt Wellington, etc. He is very knowledgeable. He could tell a lot of history and story about the city, the places you visit and varies kinds of wildlife and trees in Tasmania. He is a “real” tour guide instead of just driving you to the spots and let you linger around by yourself.

He is also full of sense of humour that he keeps the atmosphere during the travel and rides very happy and relaxing. He is highly responsible and always on time. He is extremely flexible and tries his very best to accommodate your needs. He is also very caring and considerate. He will also provides fresh fruits and bottled water for his guests.

I am sure that my trip across Tasmania would not be that fun without John. If you are coming to Tasmania for local, unique and special experiences, John is absolutely your best choice. You won’t regret for having John as your tour guide.

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Hello Christy and thank you for choosing to tour with me and writing such a wonderful review. I hope to meet you again here in Tasmania and introduce you both to some more wonderful scenery, perhaps on the West Coast next time. Your Penguin Safari photographs and videos have been forwarded to you so please share them with your friends. Safe travels and good health alway to you both.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Had a wonderful day with John on a tailor-made tour of Launceston and the surrounding areas. I was exploring solo for the day whilst my husband was working, and I couldn't have found a better travel companion than John. He's a mine of information, friendly, funny, courteous and very knowledgeable. I'm still laughing at his jokes, and will take back very lovely memories of my day.

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Thanks Becky for writing such a nice review and it was a delight to share some of the treasures we have here in Northern Tasmania. There is so much to see and do and we have just scratched the surface and I encourage you to return and explore this wonderful island further. I wish you the best of health and safest of travels always.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

John was a brilliant tour guide on the Hydro tour. He is very knowledgeable and well informed. It was great to see the workings and operations first hand. Excellent access. A real quality tour. Thanks John

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Thanks Brian for your kind review and it was a pleasure to show you and your son, the engineering student, a working hydro electric power station. It is a great example of 1950s engineering excellence and combining all the engineering disciplines in one accessible development. Now when you flick the light switch at home you have a greater understanding of what is behind the scenes. Safe travels to you both.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

John was a fabulous tour guide. My friends and I all enjoyed our full wine tour day so much and we would highly recommend him to everyone. His knowledge of the Launceston area was mind blowing, so insightful and engaging. His 'dad jokes' were adorable yet hilarious so be on your toes for them also. All in all he provided us with an amazing unforgettable day. He is quite possibly the best tour guide we have ever come across Thank you so much John!

John L, Owner at Discover Tasmania Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Hi guys and what a fun day we had and #shaunthesheeptassie certainly enjoyed your company to a number of wineries in the Tamar Valley. It was so nice to meet you all and show you some great scenic locations along with beautiful cellar doors that are so close to Launceston. There is so much more to see here so please come back again soon. Safe travels always to you all.