All reviews bedroom villa golf course courtesy bus pizza restaurant kids loved the pool double shower on demand tennis courts horse riding minute drive links restaurant bottle shop lounge room great place to stay great facilities cooking facilities self contained
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I am not a negative person, however if I can prevent one person from being stung like we were I will be happy. I strongly agree with the majority of the reviews on this site. When booking accommodation in an unfamiliar place you get the impression that The Country Club would be the safest bet for style comfort and elegance however it is evident that the proprietors of these shacks have poured the majority of their assets into the appearance of their reception staff and promotional merchandise as opposed to updating their units. We travelled around Tasmania as 2 couples and stayed in numerous 2 bedroom self contained apartments quiet comfortably however when we booked into Launceston’s’ Country Club we were booked into 2 separate buildings costing me $324 for one night (when their true value is approx $65 - $80 a night each). The nearest attraction was a km away being the casino, the neighbouring rooms had paper thin walls with 4 children in them and the closest we got to Tasmania’s wildlife were the 2 unidentified long bugs we found in the unit, one in the kitchenette and the other in the bedroom. In one of the reviews the manager has stated that the units will be getting painted out in the near future, I surely hope that she remove those century old nana chairs in what they call the lounge, they are seriously too uncomfortable to try to relax in after such a long drive, and then take with them the dated wardrobes and wall unit cupboard as well. The appearance outside these units is quiet inviting however once you step inside the door you are shot down with disappointment thus my hasty departure from Launceston. This experience seriously over shadowed my Tasmania adventure. We would have been far better off driving out to Burnie or Stanley or maybe trying out the local caravan park. I’m sure that would have been more comfortable and you know what you’re getting for your money.

Room tip: Look Elsewhere
Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Country Club Villas last evening; were only there for a very short period but found the property to be pretty much the same as always - reliable, great setting and average value for money. We had a 1-bedroom apartment, they're not massive but comfortable. In the living room there is a fold down double-bed, which is good use of space however the television is placed in a very strange place such that it is impossible to watch TV in bed. If travelling with small children, the layout is not really suited as it means you can't put the kids to bed and stay up and watch TV in the lounge room unless they are light sleepers. There is a small TV in the bedroom however it is small, old CRT style and the reception ordinary at best.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank samoht103
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We booked a one bedroomed villa which I had understood to be 4/5 star, what we got was a one bedroomed apartment more suited to a motel. I thought after a days exploring we would be able to relax with a glass of wine on some form of patio or decking. To do that we had to go 3 doors down to the side of the block (8 apartments in all, 4 up and 4 down) to a shared bit of grass with one table and 4 chairs. The accommodation was adequate and functional but disappointing. The best bit was the bathroom which was fab. A large bedroom with plenty of hanging and drawer space but it needed something else (comfy chair perhaps and patterned curtains), the only night there was someone in the next apartment you could hear them quite easily - and they got up a 6 am! The living area was dark, we needed the light on all the time, and painted a dull yellow. We were self catering as we were there 8 nights and found a lack of dishes (guests would appear to be more of the passing through/business variety) and the fridge was so full of mini bar there was barely enough room for our food.. The ad said there was internet - yes there was but no WiFi and as we had an iPad to keep in touch with the UK we had to pay to use the computer in reception. It was also further out of town than expected but that wasn't a problem. The staff were very nice and the pool/spa was enjoyable

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravellerWirral
Reviewed 12 January 2011

This was the best place to stay ,the indoor pool was great and a real hit with the kids, and so was the horse riding. I only wish I had of made my stay here longer as hobart was a dissapointment!!!

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank charleenNsw
Reviewed 6 January 2011

My partner and I had booked here for 3 nights to start our trip in Tasmania. We booked a standard one bedroom villa. We booked into the country club as we were told by a travel agent friend that is was meant to be one of the only truly upmarket places to stay in Launceston.

Well. When we got to our villa (Villa 138 - you have been warned) it was ..shall we say quaint looking with delightfully dreadful yellow paint on the walls and wall units - which were very old. There was a bed in the bedroom that quite honestly you would be hard pushed to give away at a garage sale. Even when made up the bed looked very saggy, not quite square looking and well past its use by date. I lightly held one corner of the bed and gently shook it and the whole thing squeeked and rattled and rolled like a toy slinky. The kitchen was tiny and the sitting room doubles as a second bed with a pull out bed... felt a little like sitting in a large cupboard.

Now I have never complained about accomodation before preferring to put up with minor things so as not to create a fuss.. but on this occasion there was no choice but to make an exception. Straight up to reception to express how hopelessly outdated and inadequae our villa was.

And to her credit, Amy, the delightful young lady on duty moved us to the top range villa suite - albeit at an extra $50 a night - but OMG was it worth it. The standard of the room was superb - exactly what you would expect of a country club. The king bed was superb, the bathroom modern with a spa and double shower and it was exceptionally clean. The living area was spacious and comfortable. The view out the windows was lovely.

We were lucky this Villa suite was available... or we would driven to another hotel.

Our advice if you are staying here is to spend more for the better suites or you will be paying too much for something that is no better than back packers quality.

Additionally these villas are not located on site with the country club itself. They are about a kilometre away. No continuous footpath to walk there either, you have to go on the road. But they do provide a shuttle bus that is very prompt.

Date of stay: December 2010
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank perthgayz
CCThotelmgr, Manager at Country Club Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2011

The Country Club has a range of accommodation rooms to offer guests, from self catering 4 star one, two and three bedroom villas and suites on the Villas site, to 4.5 star deluxe rooms and 5 star manor suites at the main Country Club complex.

Your comments on the decor and furnishings in the one bedroom villa initially allocated are noted with the bed being attended to - thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am pleased Amy was able to assist with a room move and am delighted to read the suite was more to your liking and expectation.

Kind regards, Meredith Churchill Hotel Manager