Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Priceline
AU$172
Go to your Happy Price
All reviews no lift city park old stables spa room boags brewery main building lovely old hotel heritage building large shower a ground floor room old world charm hotel restaurant free parking coffee machine great room room service rooms are spacious
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 October 2023

This was a great stay at a quirky old hotel. The rooms were well cleaned, and the bed was very comfortable. Free WiFi was offered, and the gentleman behind the desk I think his name was James was incredibly helpful and accommodating. I can not fault the location or or service. Hope to stay again next time here for work and would certainly recommend it.

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
James Burry, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2023

Hello arrons832,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Grand Hotel Launceston. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and humbled by your kind words. Thank you for recommend our hotel it was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we do hope you choose to stay again when you are next in Launceston.

Reviewed 9 October 2023

The female receptionist on duty when we checked in for three days was very pleasant. Sadly that was our first and last experience of good service here.

We then had to clunk up three flights of stairs with heavy suitcases because there is no lift. Our room was not entirely clean and had a ripped carpet and quite an unpleasant smell in the bathroom. We had booked in for three days to explore the region and planned to be out a lot so let this go.
The male receptionist who was on duty on Sunday was completely unhelpful and disinterested in any of our questions or requests.
A burglar alarm at a dealership across the road had been going off at least an hour and I had a headache. My husband went down to reception to ask if they could ring the security company or the police to have it turned off and that several people have complained about it and he simply said ‘oh it’s bound to turn off before too long’ And indicated it was not his problem. We rang the police non-emergency number and asked them to look into it. It still didn’t turn off and was still going off when we went to sleep (with difficulty) that night.

While my husband was at the desk about the alarm three men entered who were obviously booked in. One asked innocently if the restaurant was open and was told ‘no it’s not’. He then asked if there was somewhere else that he could recommend for dinner and was told ‘the pub’. One of the other men present hoped that the burglar alarm was not going go off all night; he was sadly disappointed.

We then discovered that the room is only serviced every second day. We went out today on the THIRD day expecting it to be serviced when we got back and it was not. Once again we enquired at the reception desk with the male receptionist and was told ‘Oh dear I had it written down but your room has obviously been overlooked-would you like me to empty the bins?’ We declined. He then gave my husband a bottle of wine presumably as an apology but this didn’t make up for dirty towels and unkempt room and a bed which needed clean sheets. Also there are no facilities to wash the oddly mismatched selection of crockery and cutlery so we had a big stack of dirty plates and cups which obviously were also not replaced as the room was not serviced.

I had also requested some coins for the laundromat on site from the same male receptionist. I had no cash, only a credit card. He was pretty sure he would be unable to facilitate this without the cash, for some unknown reason? He then left the room and made a lengthy telephone call and then returned and gave me the coins with no hint of an apology.

All in all it was quite an unsatisfactory stay and certainly not cheap. We would certainly not recommend this hotel to any incoming travellers as I’m sure there are plenty of better ones in Launceston.

Room tip: Don’t book in….
Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James Burry, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2023

Hi Cheldaly,

Thank you for the time taken and the feedback provided. Without feedback like yours we are unable to improve our service for our guests. I do sincerely apologise that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Unfortunately with the alarm that was heard on Sunday that was certainly beyond the hotels control and we did send out a text message advising guests that the police were aware of the issue. I do note we did not have an Australian number for your booking so you may not have received this.

In regards to the coins for the washing machine the receptionist in this case was correct we generally are unable to facilitate a cash out service for the laundry. However, noting your feedback we can again look at areas of improvement.

I was also disappointed to hear that your room was not serviced on the second day and can only again offer my sincerest apologies. I can assure you it was not the intention of any staff member to make you feel that they were disinterested.

If you would like to discuss anything further about your stay please reach out to me directly info@thegrandhotellaunceston.com.au

Reviewed 21 September 2023 via mobile

We last stayed here nearly 30 years ago and really nothing much has changed! It was a good experience then and an equally good one now. We stayed for one night in a deluxe spa suite. This was on the ground floor. Check in was good, parking is free and there are sufficient spaces. The rooms are quite plain but not lacking in amenities. The bed was comfortable, air conditioning efficient. Lovely big bathroom with a corner spa and separate shower with good pressure and plenty of hot water. The room was very dark and quiet for good sleeping. We ate dinner at the on-site restaurant, Luz, (reviewed separately). For the price this stay was excellent value for money. The hotel is within easy walking distance of many cafes, restaurants and shopping. I would recommend

Room tip: Off street free parking available
Date of stay: September 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi GloriaSome,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Hotel Launceston. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the teams hospitality. We are humbled by your scores and kind comments and we do hope we can welcome you back next time you choose to stay in this beautiful city.

Reviewed 4 August 2023

My stay in this hotel was fantastic. The beds are super comfy, the coffee machine a great touch and the lounge was wonderful. Too often hotel rooms don’t have a comfortable chair to sit in so this really appealed to me.
It’s a 10-15 min stroll to the centre of the CBD passing numerous coffee shops on the way, there’s also one just around the corner if you’re like me and need that early morning cup.
I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel, staff are super helpful and very accommodating.

Date of stay: August 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Hi SuemO8867MC,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Hotel Launceston. Our team were humbled by your kind words and scores. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and had time to discover some of the secret coffee shops that Launceston has to offer. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back next time you choose to stay in Launceston.

Reviewed 25 July 2023

The Grand Hotel in Launceston came highly recommended by friends. They were spot on! From check in to departure, we were impressed on all accounts with the Grand. Stayed 4 days before heading to Hobart and another 4 days on return.

Our 8 days at the hotel were enjoyable, with Manager Jude and her staff attended promptly to our every need. Our room was spotless, warm and comfortable and we loved the Grands 100 yrs plus history as well as its proximity to the city centre.

Definitely would stay there again and recommend The Grand to friends.

Date of stay: March 2023