“Simple, delicious by any standards”
Review of Black Cow Bistro

Black Cow Bistro
Ranked #1 of 312 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: “Tasmanian Beef Specialist” Located in the historic art deco Luck’s Butchery shop in Launceston, Tasmania, Black Cow showcases grass fed, free range, hormone free, dry aged, premium Tasmanian beef including brands from Cape Grim, Greenhams, Clover Country, King Island and Flinders Island amongst others. Legislation in Tasmania against the use of hormone growth promotants and antibiotics in red meat production combined with Tasmanian graziers’ focus on free-range grass fed cattle produces happy animals and superior quality meat. A flexible pricing structure and side dishes designed around fresh, local produce allow guests to create the dining experience they desire. Also sporting a well-priced wine list with a heavy emphasis on local Tasmanian wines with some full-bodied reds thrown in for good measure. An energetic atmosphere and friendly professional service completes the Black Cow offering. This casual Bistro style has been a hit with the local community as well as visitors so reservations are essential. A private wine room offers dining for up to 12 guests for those important dinners and negotiations. Open 7 nights a week from 5:30pm to late. The Black Cow logo has been inspired by the amazing ancient artworks in the Lascaux Caves in France. Carbon dating indicates that these paintings are more than 17,000 years old. Black Cow, the name, is a tribute to the Bos Genus… Historically the cow has been important to many cultures. It has been seen and worshiped as a symbol of contentedness, fecundity, the passive yet creative and generative powers of nature, patience, nourishment, abundance, fertility and equifinality. It is also, of course, an excellent source of protein.
Australia
“Simple, delicious by any standards”
Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

After walking through a desolate Launceston streetscape one evening, we finally arrived at this cosy, atmospheric restaurant known for its Cape Grimm beef. My husband and I have been on an eating and wine tour of Tasmania so chose to eat only one course. The 550 gram rib eyed shared between the two of us, a green salad, mushrooms and zucchini ribbons were all perfectly cooked and delicious. The potato galette served with the steak was, for me, the perfect size and flavour. The only other time we've eaten a rib eye like this was Asador Etxebarri outside San Sebastián. Whilst the latter was probably a cut above, so to speak, Black Cow was very good. A word of warning... the diner next to us was unimpressed by the size of the eye fillet he ordered. If you're hungry go for the larger cuts, all outlined on the menu.

Visited March 2017

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
“MELT-IN-THE-MOUTH FILLET STEAK”
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Okay, so it has been a while since I visited (4 months ago to be exact) and I've been a little tardy in writing my review BUT this is also testament as to how good the meal was because it still stands out in my mind!

I have wanted to visit Black Cow Bistro since it opened but my husband and I just never seemed to find ourselves in Launceston to try it. So when I had to go to Launceston for work I made a point of having dinner there on my first night. Despite blowing over 50% of my budget for the pleasure of eating here and having to dine very down market for the rest of my stay, it was worth every penny!

I chose the eye fillet (Cape Grim Beef) which was perfectly cooked to my specification of rare and was so tender it was like slicing through butter. It was very simply served with very finely sliced potato stack (galette) topped with a delicious sauce of Dijon cream and chives. I like to taste my beef so I requested no sauce but simply a knob of plain butter to add to the decadence. I ordered the baked pumpkin and sweet potato, almonds, brown butter and lemon yogurt side dish which was delicious and a perfect accompaniment to the fillet. For dessert I indulged in the Lindt chocolate parfait, espresso clotted cream, chocolate streusel and coffee gelee. Not the prettiest dessert I've ever seen thanks to the coffee gelee which looks like an unappetising brown jellyfish! To be honest, I personally think that the gelee detracts from the dessert rather than enhances it, I didn't particularly like the texture and although the coffee flavour was a nice addition to the dish, I think it could have been added in a different way because the strange jelly blob also conceals the more appealing deliciousness beneath. Fortunately, the hot chocolate I was served at the end of the meal more than made up for any slight disappointment I experienced in my dessert.

All in all it was a very good and very enjoyable meal if a little pricey. I also had a wonderful table up near the back of the restaurant, perfectly suited for a single diner. Top marks to a top restaurant!

• Visited November 2016
Newcastle WA
“Amazing Food!”
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Dinner at the Black Cow was delicious. We particularly enjoyed the steaks and the prawn dish. They also serve a very unique, local gin for a yummy martini.

Visited January 2017
Perth, Australia
“Excellent”
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Booked dinner here (group of four) while working in town and the overall experience was very good - great food and service and highly recommended.

• Visited March 2017
Sydney, Australia
“Got to love a steak”
Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

Dont come here unless you love a steak and are prepared to pay for it. Its sydney prices in Launceston, but worth. Good selection of NE Tasmanian beef. Excellent drinks menu.

The service is fitting of the venue. Really good, knowledgeable and pleasant.

Visited March 2017