“Totaly Awsome Food”

Grumpy's Tavern
Ranked #158 of 334 Restaurants in Toowoomba
Price range: USD 9 - USD 47
Reviewed 26 July 2017

My wife and I were in Toowoomba visiting a friend and took him out to lunch at Grumpy's. We had been there before many years ago when our friend took us there, but I don't think it was called Grumpy's then, it was just an old pub on the outskirts of Toowoomba, but I can't remember what it was called then.
We managed to get the last car park directly behind the restaurant, taking the steps up to the dining room. We were greeted promptly by a chap in a cowboy hat who found us a table with plenty of space to spread out.
He asked if we would like some drinks, we ordered and he was back with the drinks in less than 5 minutes along with some menus for us to peruse. He left us with the menus for a few minutes then came back to take our orders, orders were given and then in what seemed a very short time our meals were on the table in front of us.
I choose the entrée of Apple Smoked Pork Belly, with a garden salad and Plum Sauce, plus a bowl of chips to make it a main meal. Well the pork was cooked perfectly, the crackling was totally crispy with just the right amount of spices on it, the plum sauce the pork was sitting on was to die for, the little pot of Apple Sauce to pour over the pork was perfect and the chips were heavenly, just the right amount of crispy on the outside with soft and perfectly cooked potato on the inside and just the right amount of seasoned salt.
My wife choose the main meal of Grumpy Mushroom Carbonara with added bacon, she said the Mushroom Sauce was totally beautiful and the whole dish was just perfectly balanced. Our friend had one of the steak dishes that came with a jacket potato and a side salad, he ordered the steak well done and it was cooked to perfection, he enjoyed the dish very much and said the flavours were spot on.
We all enjoyed the chips as the bowl of chips I ordered to bulk out my entrée dish was so large I could never have eaten all of them myself.
My wife our friend and I can highly recommend this Steakhouse as a top place to have a meal, they don't just do steak, there is a whole lot of other options on the menu, so if you wan to have lunch or a great night out you will not regret going to eat out at this establishment.
John & Lyn

1  Thank John P

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Our group of four went on a Thursday night and it was very quiet. We didn't have to wait very long for our meals and they were all huge - as pub meals tend to be. My daughter and I had a share platter between us and that was plenty. The bread rolls seemed very fresh for something that came in a plastic bag, more like a damper than a dinner roll. The steak and ribs that our family members ordered were done perfectly.

1  Thank Robyn M
Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

We went to a birthday on a Saturday night. It was busy but still had empty tables, we had a booking and when we arrived we were told no tables were ready and to sit at the bar until they have a table. We could see plenty of empty tables but obviously not for us. Once a table was ready after a half hour of waiting we were told we couldn't order for another half hour because the orders were full...
We ordered drinks but one didn't come out at all. We were not served with rolls at the table like every other table.
Once the meals were received the steaks felt as if they were mixed up with the wrong cooking sticks in them but we're all served with different sides. A well done steak was still bleeding on the plate...they were notified and cooked the steak to satisfaction but by this time everyone had eaten and we were waiting on still the steak to be cooked so one person could still have their meal.

1  Thank 50opd2j
Reviewed 27 May 2017

Came to Grumpy's for a steak dinner and wow, was I impressed.

I ordered the Eye Fillet with Pepper Gravy and Crumbed Onion Rings. It was among the best I have ever had at a steakhouse! It was so well cooked, so flavoursome and extremely filling.

I was also impressed by the friendly service we received and how laid it was as well as how quickly we received our meals. Will definitely be going again! Had no problems with the online booking system also.

1  Thank Tamara K
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Went on a Saturday night, quite a few thee, not packed....meals came quicker than I expected, reports had not been good previously....so was surprised. Steak was very good, Ribs , and Chicken Kiev, all surpassed our expectations. Staff were slow on ordering on I pads, but very friendly. Drinks arrived fairly quickly, one downfall---they ran out of Scotch ??? --8pm on a Saturday Night ?? All else good.

1  Thank annettesQ2713VA