The Windmill Motel and Events Centre
  • Pool
  • Pool
Good 3.5/5
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsstayed hereking suitegreat stopoverfunction venuepool and tennis courtgood sizemajor shoppingspa batha ground floor roomrooms are clean and comfortableplace to stayroom servicerestaurant attachedfamily roomgreat facilitiesthe main roadlong drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stayed here while on a business trip in May and found it to be just ok.

The service from reception staff was very dissapointing, they ignored me on several occassions and each time they spoke to me it seemed I was a major inconvenience to them. For example, when checking in, one of the reception staff thought I was only staying one night instead of three I had booked; she said 'oh that would have been great if you were only here for one, I have so many people wanting rooms'. She continued to be rude, talking over me. The same receptionist when I checked out asked me if I had anything from the mini bar, I said no as I hadn't and she made me wait for someone to go and check the room to see if I had taken anything!

There are no fly screens on any of the windows or doors so they need to be kept close to keep mosquito's out.

There are better places to stay when in Mackay.

The restaurant service was much better but the food was really terrible, cold pumpkin soup that tasted like out of a can.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Kylie E
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We stayed in a family studio for two nights. The room was well appointed with two queen size beds, lounge and small dining table and medium size TV. Everything in the room was in good working order and very tidy. There is a restaurant and bar on-site for convenience although after eating there the first night we found better value elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I travel loads with work and when in Mackay stay at and recommend the Windmill. The rooms are clean and the dining is excellent for cost. I have stayed here over 14 times and each time I'm impressed. Don't believe any negative comments about the quality or service.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Mackay has a terrible reputation for adding a "resources mining tax" to everything from letterboxes (I kid you not) to houses (have you tried to find anything half habitable for under $500 K???).
This reputation is rightfully earned i"m afraid.
To live more than 150kms from Mackay and therefore require the occasional overnight stay to conduct personal business, well, we are also hit by this tax in the accommodation sector as well. Just check Wotif for rates during the week compared to weekend stays for accommodation in Mackay and you will see that the majority of their income comes from conference/mining related stays, not tourism.
All that said, for someone that has lived and worked in the area for more than 13 years, The Windmill has consistently provided a good, very clean and modern standard of accommodation for the coin (some beds are more comfortable than others); their restaurant caters for most tastes and their staff are professional and accommodating. The beds in the king spa suites and the self contained ones across the road from the main reception are the picks.
You can do much worse staying elsewhere, although the minimum spend here is $140 per night.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank traveldottie
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Our organisation booked the venue for a conference and needed to postpone. I understand that the venue would have some costs but they were totally steadfast and would not even consider meeting us half way. The cancellation fees were exorbitant. We were going to use them again - just later in the year and have used them previously for other conferences. We will not be returning - there are plenty of good conference venues in Mackay so need to waste your time here.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business