All reviews ocean view salt restaurant resort staff sunday session adjoining rooms short break great spot modernising lawns bbq pub
Reviewed 27 October 2014

Overall, the resort is in poor condition, badly needing a complete refurbishment. We personally experienced poor room facilities such as the toilet needing repairing & a broken door latch. Maintenance man only works from Mon - Thurs so we had to wait 3 days for toilet to be repaired. Door still wasn't repaired when we left. Asking price for the rooms are over inflated for what they are.
The rooms look tired & dated, cleaning staff did not clean room every day & didn't vacuum or wash cups for the whole 10 days we were there. Resort ran out of clean towels 1 day.
We attended for a wedding & the setting was lovely, very tropical. Pool is large & quite good too, but needs to be resealed. Bar is OK, (when it's open) & resort staff were friendly, but mostly young & inexperienced.
I have been told the resort has just been sold so hopefully the facilities will improve. Rooms are privately owned which I'm sure is the reason why they have not been kept updated.
Dolphin Head Resort is about 5km to the closest shopping centre & 15km from Mackay. There is very little public transport so I would strongly suggest you hire a car

Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Crack18
Reviewed 26 October 2014

I really loved Dolphin Heads, but the resort had A LOT of things that need attention. The room was good with nice beds and pillows, good TV and other standard room facilities. The room cleaning service is a little to be desired, floor not swept or mopped and toilet not cleaned, fresh towels and toilet paper were always changed and bed was always made every day. The main concern I have for this possible little gold mine was the fact that, the bar ran out of things too quickly even with full knowledge of 2x up coming nuptials and 2x baby showers, and it was closed too early 5pm when the pool area is humming is not a good time to close, lots of money would have been made and the atmosphere would have been epic!! Next is the running of the Kitchen/restaurant......As a former chef it was really sad that the kitchen basically opened well whenever the chef could make it and there was a staff member to wait on tables, with some basic menus and bar food this restaurant would be smashed all the time. Décor needs a massive overhaul (new paint jobs, some rust management and loose the lattice we're in 2014 now haha). Other than those small issues that can be improved on and will be now under new management, the resorts facilities where good, and the reception and bar staff were amazing managing with what they had to work with. Would love to come back in 12 months and see if there are many changes...All the best!

Room tip: Spend a little extra and get an ocean view room excellent views!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank Pav L
Reviewed 20 October 2014 via mobile

Overall I left feeling average about my stay. Apart from the wedding we attended which was above amazing the rest of the facilities were fairly poor. The bed was so hard I would have slept better on grass or sand... Our room was barely serviced apart from fresh towels daily nothing else was done.. Toilet barely flushed.. Shower water pressure was barely enough to wash shampoo out of my hair.. Bar was closed at 5pm on Sunday and my 20+ person family were left with no option but to order pizza for dinner and to go buy alcohol and soft drink from a local bottle shop, which was incredibly inconvenient given how far away they are.. I'm afraid the resort probably missed out on a few hundred dollars there..

Staff are amazing.. Service was great.. Wedding and receoption were perfect..

Don't see myself back though unless its for another wedding..

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank MareaG85
Reviewed 19 October 2014 via mobile

Whole resort is badly in need of a refurb. Toilet didn't flush properly, door was broken, sliding door to the balcony didn't slide properly. Was told the maintenance man only worked from Mon - Thurs. Resort ran out of clean towels on Sunday. Staff are friendly.

5  Thank ccomline
Reviewed 19 October 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the resort for 5 days for a wedding, all though the wedding was beautiful and a very good job on wedding setup this place is nothing special for the price. I know that its only managed and the units themselves are owned privatly but the rooms are in desperate need of renovations they are tired and dated, all common areas are kept reasonably tidy but again very dated. Room services are not up to scratch as in the 5 days we had clean towels twice, never the same amount of towels no washer and no soap! Floor was never vacuumed or swept in those days which was a pain with sand, we had our teacups in the sink hoping this would prompt some clean cups but 3 days in and i got sick of seeing them there so i washed them! Not up to scratch for the money paid, restaurant food was very basic for the price and not overly nice. On the positive side there are a few lovely young girls that work here and are an asset to this resort.

3  Thank Sweetstuff1