“Not worth the money”

Ranked #113 of 129 Hotels in Gold Coast
Brisbane, Australia
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

The room was very small and right next to the pool and BBQ area and car park, therefore very noisy (we requested a quiet room ). Other guests started drinking and screaming at
7am at the pool and the neighbour's shower had screaching pipes that woke us every morning at 5 am. We had to pay extra for a DVD player (although friendly but mostly absent management gave us generous discount-still$25).front desk opening times are 8am to4pm and if you want breakfast you have to order the night before, however you won't get informed about that,you have to read about it in the fine print.and office was closed completely at Easter Sunday, so forget if you want to buy extra dish washing soap or laundry liquid (which both come in tiny packs for $1.50). Overall, everything at this place has its price and the management seems friendly enough but is hardly present and does nothing to stop other guests from being nuisances. Sheets and towels were clean and we got fresh towels every day, however cleaning staff threw our precious last drop of dishwashing liquid in the bin. Waking up to dirty ashtrays and empty bottles on our private breakfast table made us angry and spoiled our holiday . Not happy at all :(

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank LaraL0u

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We arrived at 8.30am (after agreeing that we could check in early) and were welcomed by Manager, Donna who checked us in and we went to our room, number 28 which we were instantly very pleased with. We had originally booked to stay here for 2 weeks and we were so happy with the service and the location that we stayed for 3! There is a bus stop just outside, about 20 mins to Surfers Parsdise, 10 mins to Pacific Fair and regular express buses to the theme parks. Coles supermarket is a 5 minute walk up the road.
The motel staff were extremely helpful when we had any queries regarding the local area and we booked our theme park tickets from the front desk - easy!
If I had one criticism it would be that plates and cutlery aren't provided, even though the room has a microwave to prepare food. But this was resolved with a trip to Coles where we purchased a picnic set.
Overall we had a lovely time here and if we are in the area again we look forward to staying with you :-)
Many thanks, Sarah and David

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank sarahlikesholidays
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2012

we stayed here in December of 2011 !!.. there were 3 adults and 2 children. I live in sydney and booked for 7 days under the assurance from the management that the room was semi self contained and was clean and big enough to house us all,... so we arrive and were greeted in an abrupt manner and sent off to our room.. Imagine my shock when i see the oldest furniture in the history of hotels, the floor was sticky and our thongs were getting stuck when we walked.. but that i could handle... we went to bed that night, and thank goodness it was hot because the blankets on the end of the bed were stained and i wasnt going to use them, my kids complained of springs poking them in the back and our matress was as hard as a rock !! the aircon (that looked older then me) was broken down and due to the fact that it was Christmas, no one was available to fix it. the fridge was ok and there was a microwave, kettle and a few utensils (not enough for 5 people).. i was told upon booking that all linen and towels were supplied, so i was dissapointed to find that we were given 4 bath towels (remember there are 5 of us staying) and when i asked for extra towels the ever so friendly (NOT) management told me that it would cost an extra $5.50.. the room was not cleaned the whole time we were there, even though we asked for clean sheets to be put on the bed, i asked what i assume to be the cleaning staff if we could have a broom and was told that they would leave the vaccum cleaner outside my door so that i could clean it myself !!! so the whole week worths of sand that was all over the floor finally got cleaned from myself !!..the toilet kept getting blocked, we suppied our own toilet paper and there were no screens what so ever on the windows.. being Christmas we were having a few drinks down by the pool and although the sign does say "no glassware", we were asked to keep our drinks to a minimum !! HOW RUDE !!, not once had we made any noise to warrant such a comment !! after that we decided to do as we pleased as we were leaving the next morning anyway !!.. we would never return and i hope to save at least one person the dissapointment that we went through.. after reading all the other reviews i have come to the conclusion that those people commenting on the lovely management must be friends with them, because the reality is, she was rude and unwelcoming..

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Chrissi W

Travellers are raving about these Gold Coast hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 16 November 2011

On arrival at the sunshine beach resort, we went to the reception to get our keys. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children and therefore booked a family room. It was only for one night so wasnt expecting alot as it was the last night of our holidays and chose the motel for its location. WELL where do I start !! The room was smelly and dirty. The bathroom fly mesh was all torn off and there was a 2 inch gap down the side of the window. The bathroom mirror was filthy, in the bedroom the curtains were hanging off and all the bedroom furniture was chipped and dirty. In the kitchen the curtains again were hanging off and the table had a big chip on it, the fridge was rusty and the whole apartment was very very shabby. This is the first time i have felt the need to complain so i went back down to the reception to report this. When i told donna who is the manager, she just said well what do you want me to do about it !! I asked her to come and look at the room but she refused and said she was sick in whingers and that the owners wouldn't spend any money on the accommodation. I asked her several times to come with me to the room but she kept refusing saying do we want a refund but then i said where would we stay and she said,, not my problem !! I Would not recommend this dump and the owner donna does not give a hoot !!!!!!!!!!!! Such a shame to end our fabulous holiday in queensland at this hotel.

Room Tip: don't go
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Debbie t
GCHoliday, Manager at Sunshine Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 November 2011
This is total exageration of a conversation that was had between this guest and myself. I explained to this guest that we are 3 1/2 star and the owners have just refurbished the property and do not want to spend more money as we will have to raise prices. She was unhappy with the room as the screen in the bathroom had a tear in it, the screen being only the top part of the window - the guest was scared she was going to have cockroaches flying through the gap, on the second floor.

The curtains admittedly had come off in places and I fixed those immediately and the chip is a small chip on the side of the dining table. Another family stayed in the room that evening and were very happy.

As for refusing to look, the guest wanted me to go right away and I was checking in another guest at the time. I gave this guest the key to several rooms and let her choose a room to her standard and even gave a DVD player complimentary for her children so they could enjoy their drinks in peace.

I am dissappointed in the guest review and do not understand why it was posted.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2011

A friend and I stayed here twice for different family events. It is so nice and refreshing to meet such a lovely and positive person. Donna the Manager was so helpful and accommodating to our requests and silly enquiries. The rooms are kept neat and clean and the environment was very friendly and relaxed. My boss recommended the motel and I am so glad she did - we will be staying here again and telling our friends and family. Great price for a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: the balcony rooms are nice.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends