“Excellent central hotel with very large rooms”

Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed twice at this hotel and although I have never stayed at another hotel in Wollongong it is hard to imagine that there would be a better hotel around. The hotel is located a stone-throw away from the city center (Wollongong's mall). Around the corner there are a number of interesting and relatively affordable restaurants serving Thai, cotinental and Middle Eastern food. The hotel itself is very weel equipped with rather large rooms that, I think, almost all come with their kitchenette which includes a refridgerator, microwave and plates, cutlerly etc. All quite handy. The bathrooms are equally large. Bed's very comfortable. And most rooms have a sitting area as well where you can receive guests or relax. The hotel has a small but handy gym and a small but relaxing pool on the first floor.

No big disadvantages, I guess. Though a number of small things could be improved. For one: the smoke detector beams a small flash light at regular intervals. As the smoke detector is attached to the ceiling right in front of the cupboard-door which is covered with a lager mirror, the light is reflected in this mirror and rather annoyed me throughout the night. I resorted to covering the smoke detector with a black sock but obviously that does not really help safety.

Another thing that could be improved is the bathtub which you have to stand in while taking a shower. The bathtub is very slippery and if you are not carefully it is very easy to slip and seriously hurt yourself. I wonder why the hotel does not provide a rubber math that can be put in the bathtub. Surely I am not the first who thought this set-up was quite dangerous and had a near accident.

Finally I found their wifi rather ridiculously expensive considering that most hotels are able to offer this free of charge these days. I paid 26 dollars for 24 hours which is expensive to say the least. For this rate you will be able to connect your laptop and then one more device for free but I was not able to make this work.

Otherwise this hotel is probably your best bet in Wollongong. Staff is friendly. They provide a range of free newspapers everyday at the reception (Australian, Mercury etc). And there is limited parking available (which I did not make use of). I would likely stay here again on my next visit to Wollongong.

Room Tip: The front ones facing the road have a great view but not of the ocean. The higher ones up do but are...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mbaas
Nigel W, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Medina Executive Wollongong. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the property to your liking. The flicking red light you mentioned on the detector is to indicate the detectors is operational. It is a government approved detector of the type found in most hotel rooms. For safety reasons we are limited in what we can do and never recommend you cover the detector. Internet prices remain high within Australia as a whole, hopefully over time this will improve. Which would allow for the provision of a less expensive service. We do not provide rubber mats for hygiene reasons. All our one bedroom units come with separate bath and showers. We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive Wollongong in the near future.
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the studio room which was excellent value for money.Very good location near all the restaurants and a short stroll to the beach.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Nigel W, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Medina Executive Wollongong. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel along with the space the studio room offered. We hope to welcome you back to Medina Executive Wollongong sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a studio for a few nights and we were pleasantly surprised with the room. We only paid around $100 per night!

It was quite spacious, with a couch, balcony overlooking the street, a nice bathroom and a basic kitchenette (including a microwave, minibar, kettle, cutlery etc). We had a lovely time sitting at the balcony, chatting and drinking. It was really a relaxing budget trip we thoroughly enjoyed.

The staff were very accommodating and also allowed us to extend the check-out time. Excellent service overall.

We would love to be back when we visit Wollongong again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Medina Executive Wollongong. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and you did very well getting a great rate. It is always good to hear kind words about the team, I will be sure to pass those comments on. We hope to welcome you back to Medina Executive Wollongong sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

A lovely modern apartment, with very friendly and helpful staff. Only a very short stroll from restaurants and eateries. HOWEVER, I had prepaid the room for 8 days over the New Year period, in August 2011 and requested a room with a view; on the highest possible floor and also ordered the special Wines and Chocolates to be waiting for us on arrival, as a Christmas surprise for my wife. On arrival and after checking in and with some excitement expected to have the wine and chocolates waiting for us in our spacious room on Level 6, the highest level available. Unfortunatley NO Wine and NO Chocolates. That was the first disappointment. With a phone call asking for the services already paid for to be delivered we recieved the mandatory apology and the wine and chocolates. I could go on but the overall service, value for money, cleanliness and location was pretty good. Would we stay at Medina again - yes.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicki W

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Medina Executive Wollongong. I was concerned to read you had mixed feelings, and I was disappointed that the chocolates & wine were not in the room. Once we were aware of the issue as you mentioned we fixed it immediately. You also mentioned you requested a high floor and made mention of being placed on level 6. I am pleased to advise were able to meet that request, level 6 is our top floor. I will pass onto the entire team how your comments about them being helpful and friendly. We hope to welcome you back to Medina Executive Wollongong sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

On the good side the hotel was modern and clean with very friendly, helpful staff.
On the negative side:
1. It was hard to find this hotel when driving in Wollongogn and the signage out front in very small so we almost missed it when we drove by it.
2. A very noisy group of young people were put on our floor and those next to us were very loud with partying going on very late (past midnight). Sorry due to this I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Medina Executive Wollongong. You mentioned the hotel was hard to find and the signage is quite small. I would like for the signage to be bigger, but we are bound by local regulations. If at any time a guest is visiting the area for the first time, the team are always happy to provide directions when requested. It is always disappointing when you have noisy neighbors, you didn’t make mention if you reported the noise. However, we take a very dim view of excessive noise and when ever we become aware of it we contact the parties responsible and ask for it to stop immediately. As we know there is nothing more frustrating than other peoples excessive noise when trying to relax or sleep. I do hope you would reconsider using our property in the future.