“Go executive...”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Sydney, Australia
“Go executive...”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

An executive room is certainly worth it. Great ocean views, deep bath, great night sleep, all very comfy. I was at my wits end with a teething baby and after a 1 night stay feel 100% better. Breakfast staff were so helpful as I was on my own with the baby. Love the free papers and mags too. Was up reading til late. Julie C

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Dear Julie C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and more importantly felt our team at breakfast were helpful. Trust that I will personally share your comments with the team.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we do hope to welcome you back to Chifley Wollongong in the not too distant future. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Chifley Wollongong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I do not understand any of the poor reviews I have seen, although, you only have to read them carefully to notice that obviously the issue is with the reviewers precious sensibilities than with the actual hotel!
My partner and I stayed there this long weekend, and it has become one of my fondest memories.
The check-in/out was smooth, no issues and the staff were brilliant, (helpful, friendly and did not 'hover')
The premises and the actual room (executive balcony suite) were beautiful, clean, comfortable and welcoming. Luxurious yet laid back.
The breakfast was wonderful. We actually looked forward to it after our first lovely morning!

Overall, the hardest part of our stay was leaving!

I believe that if you are the type of person who expects complete and utter, overboard perfection, world class fine dining even at breakfast and cannot forgive issues that can arise anywhere at anytime through no human fault (ie- plumbing issues, which we did not experience!) then you are better off staying at home where you clearly can not be disappointed by anything!

If you are a normal person, however, who appreciates a beautiful, comfortable, friendly hotel that provides luxury without the snootiness..... Then Chifley Woollongong, is an ideal place to stay!

We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Frangipally
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Dear Frangipally,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review from your recent stay at Chifley Wollongong.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and really appreciate your kind comments. We certainly do our best to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay and that they are comfortable and well looked after whilst with us. On this occasion, I am extremely pleased to learn that we have achieved this.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments and should you ever return to Wollongong, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and have you stay with us again. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My husband and i stayed at the Chifley, Wollongong on a Fri and Sat night during our recent holiday in NSW and found it a pleasant hotel.
Very helpful and efficient reception staff during check-in, during our stay and check-out.
We had an executive balcony room with a king-size bed - the room was clean and adequately furnished. The bed was so comfy as it was a pillow-top mattress - very welcoming and felt just like our own bed.
The bathroom was lovely and great to find a separate bath and shower instead of the awful over the bath shower configuration. Very nicely decorated too. The bath was lovely and deep and due to shaping on the base was comfortable to recline in - often i find i have to wedge my feet on the side so I don't slip down the bath, but this one was very relaxing.
My only gripe about the room would be that there wasn't a power point near the coffee/tea & fridge area so we had to plug it in on what would be the desk....
Hairdryer and iron & ironing board supplied - very handy.
Also, nice to be able to open your sliding door and get some fresh air - as long as your neighbours are not out on their balcony having a smoke of course - shame the hotel isn't completely smoke-free but smoking seems to be tolerated more in NSW than in some other states.
We found breakfast to be fresh with a wide variety or choices to suit even the most fussiest eater - our package for 2 nights did include the buffet breakfast so it wasn't seen by us as being an added cost. The bircher muesli was absolutely yummy- one of the best I have had. Many choices of breads, muffins, crumpets, and pastries plus lovely hot offerings too.
It will be great when all the work on neighbouring worksites is completed, especially the footpath leading north from the hotel - but obviously it is a small inconvenience.
Parking was readily available but at an extra charge - you could probably find free parking near by if you wished.
Our special package also included some lovely fresh macaroons and body scrubs - both happily accepted and enjoyed - thank you Chifley Wollongong if we are in the area again or know of others visiting we will certainly recommend you.

Room Tip: Look out for special offers!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lollipop888
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear Lollipop888,

Thank you for taking time to post your review and for sharing your comments.

It is always pleasing to receive such positive feedback and trust I will share your comments with our team members.

I am particularly delighted to read that you enjoyed breakfast in C Grill. This is an area that our Executive Chef continues to work on and improve so that we continue to provide a good selection of food with the freshest produce. I will be sure to pass on your comments to him directly.

Should you return to Wollongong in the future, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and have you stay with us again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My husband and I had a weekend away in Wollongong and chose to stay in an executive suite in the Chifley Hotel. We stay at a lot of four to five star hotels and the Chifley really didn't inspire us to stay there again.

The room was large and had a view of the ocean. Sleep quality was excellent. The bathroom was huge with the biggest and deepest bathtube I've ever had the pleasure of using.

It was fortunate we had a bathtube because as another reviewer has commented, there was no cold water available on Fri 23 Sep evening, and we were told the whole hotel was affected. An hour after asking reception for assistance, two staff members came with a tub of cold water to fill the bathtub. It worked but the tub water wasn't completely clean and left a residue in the tub. No compensation was offered.

The next night there was a mysterious vibrating noise coming into our room from around 9.30pm to 10.15pm. Thankfully it stopped after a while but I was left thinking- oh no, something's gone wrong again with this place.

Also because of an unforeseen road closure, the hotel could only be accessed through a public carpark or through a dark residential road. I felt very bad for the wedding party that I watched trudge through the car park in the wind and rain. Buffet breakfast on Sunday was disappointing - the skim milk had a strange taste so I couldn't drink it and the quality of the rest of the food seemed second rate. Choice was poor when compared to other hotel buffet breakfasts we have had. $28 per person is an expected price to pay but the quality and choice should have been better.

Our overall experience was average to poor and we won't be coming back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Chen X,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

On this occasion, please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. It would seem that there were a combination of issues that compounded the situation and without making any excuses, I will endeavour to address each of your concerns.

The hotel did experience some unforeseeable problems with the hot & cold water over that particular weekend however pleased to advised that it has all be rectified since. I do apologise if there was any inconvenience caused.

The road closures were due to an unforeseeable incident which required urgent maintenance of WIN Stadium, this was critical maintaining the safety of the general public. Nevertheless, I appreciate and understand that this lead to an inconvenience to you and your group.

Your comments about the quality of breakfast have been noted and please be assured that I will personally speak to our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager so that we are able to better our guest experience.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and trust I have personally addressed your concerns with the relevant teams. Should you wish to discuss your experience in detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would be pleased to speak to you further regarding your concerns.

Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed at Chifley for one night on my own as I had a function in Wollongong to attend and didn't want to drive back to Sydney at night.

I was in an Executive Balcony Room.

Hotel was a little hard to find, through no fault of their own, but this was due to Harbour Street being closed as there was some issues at WIN stadium.

Check in was effortless, gaining access to the car park and finding parking was easy.

Room was absolutely beautiful. Good space. Nice bed. Nice TV. Balcony was nice however it was raining and blowing a gale, so I didn't go out on it.

Bathroom was better than I expected, great shower and water pressure. Very clean and modern.

The only slight issue I had was the placement of powerpoints, there was one on the desk near the TV or ones beside the bed with lights/alarm clock already plugged in, so if you wanted to charge your phone near your bed, you had to disable the light instead. Not a major issue, but that was the only fault I have.

Would definitly stay there again when its better weather!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank JesskaTwo
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear JesskaTwo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It is pleasing to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and trust you had a great time at the function. I will personally ensure I share your comments with the team.

Should you return to Wollongong, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and have you stay with us again. In the meantime, if there is anything further I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.