“Great Food - Over Priced”
Review of Muse Restaurant

Muse Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 59 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Price range: USD 52 - USD 152
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Muse has become renowned for not only its food but also for its professional and friendly service. Offering a season driven Contemporary Australian menu, the food is fresh and exciting without overcomplicating the ingredients. Using quality produce, sourcing locally whenever possible, the dishes show technique, restraint and respect.
Reviewed 22 May 2019 via mobile

We booked for Saturday lunch - set menu 2 courses $75 plus an extra $10 if you have the wage. Wines by the glass are Sydney prices yet the restaurant is part of a winery - go figure. You would think they would be promoting their own wines with a special price so maybe you would go next door & buy a few bottles. Then again it was fully booked so they don’t have to worry yet! With so much competition emerging in the Hunter Valley ......there are plenty of options.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank susanoQ9717HC
Write a reviewReviews (1,395)

Reviewed 28 April 2019 via mobile

I came here for a hens dinner on Friday night. Everything started off well.
We told the sommelier 3 girls would be doing a pairing. Whilst we waiting for the rest of the group to arrive I was asked 3 times if I wanted a drink. I advised all 3 times I was waiting for the pairing with the meals and I was happy with just water.
The first course seemed to have lacked a particular flavour - maybe some chilli like our Omni counter parts who advises theirs was too spicy (attached menu as I didn’t take a photo of this course) however was still delicious. The first pairing went very well.
Second course was absolutely delicious and the pairing was also lovely.
Third course was extremely disappointing and basically just beetroot on a plate - no other carb to break up this flavour. The pairing with this was atrocious.

Between third and fourth course we had a sorbet palette cleanser - this was horrific and not edible by any standard. It was like chewing on orange / lemon rind mixed with ice.

Fourth course was hands down my favourite. I have never had a dessert taste so delicious in my life. This pairing was also terrible.

Would I visit again? Probably not or maybe purely for the muse coconut only.

Attached are some terrible photos because it’s so dark in the restaurant. It was so dark it made me want to fall asleep.

Reviewed 27 April 2019 via mobile

It’s been a few years since our last visit but Muse lived up to expectations again. Fabulous food, beautifully plated with varied flavours and textures. The sommelier was outstanding - not arrogant or pushy at all and genuinely liked talking about wine and answering our questions. Service was a highlight - very attentive but not over bearing and thoughtful with their suggestions. And more importantly our server had eaten the food so could answer questions about the different cooking techniques. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 21 April 2019 via mobile

My wife and I had an excellent experience having lunch here over the Easter weekend.

Having heard a lot about Muse via numerous recommendations, our expectations were high.

We had the tasting menu with matching wine.

The highlight was the lamb and coconut desert which were world class, but frankly we were left wanting just a little more with the other dishes. Don’t get me wrong, they’re very good, but at this price point and expectations, we were looking for the flavours to blow our mind, which for the most part didn’t quite get there.

As good as we’ve had anywhere around the world and at Sydney’s best restaurants.

Matching Wines
The Sommelier did a wonderful job matching the wine to the food and timing the service perfectly

Environment
The restaurant has a sophisticated environment which was spot on for its position.

Reviewed 20 April 2019 via mobile

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly young lady who opened the door and took our jackets. This warm welcome was the start to a wonderful and enjoyable evening.

The set menu was very carefully designed around fresh produce that would make your tastebuds go crazy. We also got the paired wines that were carefully selected to enhance the flavours even more.

The dining room was stunning and had a great atmosphere to make the night comfortable and personal.

The staff showed such attention to detail and knew the products extremely well. They explained what was in each course and where the produce came from.

They threw in a couple of extras such as palate cleansers to make us feel we valued customers.

At the end of our dining experience, we asked for a taxi to be called to take us back to out accommodation. When we went to leave we were met by one of their staff who drive us back in a courtesy van. Going above and beyond our expectations truely made this one of the best experiences.

We highly recommend Muse Restaurant if you are after fine dining and a great night out. We will definitely be returning customers!!

1  Thank benjamingphotography